Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A test drive is not enough time to fairly assimilate how everything works. Your ability to control the car efficiently goes up with practice. Before I bought my Model 3, I thought that what Tesla was doing with the Model 3 was a good direction in general, but that they probably went too far, and should dial it back in future products. After owning one and getting in some hours of practice time, I no longer think think they went too far. Now I just really like it and have no wish that they had included more buttons and knobs.

When I told a friend I was considering a Model 3, he said "You'll hate it". No gauges, nothing, just a screen in the middle. I had not even looked at Model 3 and only considered it when a friend called saying he just bought one and how psyched he was.

After my 15 minutes as a passenger in a RWD, I was ready to order. I had not even driven it.

Sure, Tesla could spend more money on some things. Like maybe a heads up display on some critical stats (Speed and Charge). And turn directions for people that can't read a map. But what it does include is amazing.

I think the plainness is what throws some people off. They think, where is all my money going. It's not plain because it's cheap. It's plain and clean because it's a brilliant piece of engineering. Yet all the gadgeteers/geeks/knob-turners love it too.

I usually run a Radar detector and I just don't want to put it up. I didn't even want to put my EzPass on the windshield, so I didn't ;)

It takes a little bit of getting used to. The UI can be a little fiddly at times. Overall it's extremely well thought out.
I'm sure they will keep refining it. Waiting impatiently for V9 now.

The Wheels on the steering wheel do more than you might realize too.

I think this "car interface" is so much like the introduction of original Mac with a GUI interface and a mouse (that Apple didn't invent, but surely popularized).

We are arguing with people that prefer run MS-DOS. They will come around.

I think the Superchargin thing is overhyped for most people who don't road trip often.

Fire insurance is overhyped as well. I've had an aggregate 60 years of fire insurance and never called on it once.....

Even on just 4 road trips per year - how do you handle it? Just rent a vehicle every time? More than 80 miles-100 miles is not even road trip territory.

I didn't find the entertainment too bad, and it works with Carplay and Android Auto, which means you can use Waze and other apps natively on the screen, which is nice.

The regen was really good. Handling was super sharp and the different suspension modes definitely made a difference. Interior was top notch, car looks great especially in red.

I think the Superchargin thing is overhyped for most people who don't road trip often.
And it had a decent Bluetooth integration unlike some competition ;)

Fire insurance is overhyped as well. I've had an aggregate 60 years of fire insurance and never called on it once.....

Even on just 4 road trips per year - how do you handle it? Just rent a vehicle every time? More than 80 miles-100 miles is not even road trip territory.

Yes, rent a vehicle if you are going far. Less wear and tear on your own car that way + no need to worry about supercharging, which is not available everywhere you go. So for me not a big deal, I understand that any Tesla is a great road trip car, but I think most people don't really take that many road trips.

Yes, rent a vehicle if you are going far. Less wear and tear on your own car that way + no need to worry about supercharging, which is not available everywhere you go. So for me not a big deal, I understand that any Tesla is a great road trip car, but I think most people don't really take that many road trips.

How is 100 miles one-way far? That's the range of an iPace was my estimate. Driving hard, brings it down to 80 miles according to cited data.

Most people rarely drive 100 miles a day one way.

In the Bay Area/NorCal it wouldn't be a problem to drive further though, there's a solid amount of CCS chargers around.

I have to use 3rd party apps, register with multiple charging station vendors, ensure registered payment methods, and pay higher than Tesla rates to charge my car? No thanks.

I rather just press a button and say "Navigate to World's Largest Ball of Twine" and let Tesla SOLVE ALL OF IT.

I do not want to worry about any logistics at all.. and only charge at 50KW for all my hassle?

I don't even want to deal with this in California. Can you imagine dealing with this in the interior? You couldnt even make it to some CCS chargers. Might as well pack a diesel generator with fuel in the iPace trunk so you can "charge" up in between CCs stations.

Reactions: tracksyde
I have to use 3rd party apps, register with multiple charging station vendors, ensure registered payment methods, and pay higher than Tesla rates to charge my car? No thanks.

I rather just press a button and say "Navigate to World's Largest Ball of Twine" and let Tesla SOLVE ALL OF IT.

I do not want to worry about any logistics at all.. and only charge at 50KW for all my hassle?

I don't even want to deal with this in California. Can you imagine dealing with this in the interior? You couldnt even make it to some CCS chargers. Might as well pack a diesel generator with fuel in the iPace trunk so you can "charge" up in between CCs stations.

What is your point? I totally agree Tesla is a way better road trip car. The Supercharger network is unrivaled if you leave town a lot and go on trips.

I'm also saying the i-Pace can work for drives over 100 miles, and in local driving, Supercharging doesn't carry much importance. The evGO network alone has a fairly high amount of chargers between the Bay Area and Tahoe, for example: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations | EVgo

For the record, I still think the MS is the best EV to date, but I'd choose an i-Pace over a Model 3.

I'm also saying the i-Pace can work for drives over 100 miles, and in local driving, Supercharging doesn't carry much importance. The evGO network alone has a fairly high amount of chargers between the Bay Area and Tahoe, for example: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations | EVgo

And as soon as there is a decent volume of CCS capable EVs on the road those 1 and 2 stall charging sites are likely to become worthless.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
And as soon as there is a decent volume of CCS capable EVs on the road those 1 and 2 stall charging sites are likely to become worthless.

Well, having had both Tesla and an EV with CCS, you can say the same thing about Telsa here in the Bay Area. Luckily they are putting in more neighborhood chargers these days.

CCS is growing quick too though, Electrify America is spending $2B to build out a CCS network that should rival the Supercharger network. Welcome to Electrify America | Commitment

That's not a relevant point.

I'm a fan of vehicles in general and no one is born a Tesla nuthugger.

In a world without Tesla, I'd be on Bimmerfest/Audiworld discussing M3's vs C AMGs vs Audi RS3s.

Tesla takes everyone else to the woodshed so not many pros to work off of other than "Its not a Tesla, so it wins????"

It's not ipace sucks because Tesla site, ipace sucks because it sucks. Any car without reliable fast charger end to end is DOA in my eyes. E-Tron already dead as well. Audi doesn't even bother making E-Tron's for individual dealers to sell.

Anyone can own an iPace as a secondary toy car thats fun to run around town. As your PRIMARY do everything, go everywhere vehicle - NOPE.

You’re pretty much one of the reasons why I wrote what I wrote. From all the posts of yours I’ve read; according to you Tesla can do no wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
You’re pretty much one of the reasons why I wrote what I wrote. From all the posts of yours I’ve read; according to you Tesla can do no wrong.

Point out anything I said that was untrue.

I have critiqued Tesla, Elon, And the Tesla board on many occasions.

I can’t say anything meaner about Elon than I’m less confident about the Pope being Catholic than Tesla hitting their timelines.

Or Elon’s EQ is inversely related to his IQ. The smarter he gets with machines the dumber he gets with humans and earthly governmental regulatory agencies.

Diplomatic relations with the SEC is of more immediate importance than building a gigafactory for Martians.

Am I happy that EAP (expected auto pilot lol) and AP1-Parody (parity lol) took almost 2 years? Nope.

I was ready to get thrown out of a delivery center because I had it with my friend not getting his car after paying interest on the loan for more than a month. They were nice to him when we showed up so everything was good but the willingness to go to the woodshed was definitely there.

I’m just as familiar with their weaknesses as their strengths.

It’s possible for Tesla to have tons of problems and it’s also possible for Tesla to also not have any competition at the same time.

They are a 10 crazy and a 10 hot on the hot-crazy matrix.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Shizzrock and EinSV
Interesting how people's usage models can differ. I've never wanted to power fold the mirrors myself. If I had a button for that purpose I don't think I'd ever touch it. Homelink I use once per day; a button would feel like overkill for such an infrequently-used feature.

I use the mirror-folding button on the S, only because without folding the mirrors, I have an inch or two clearance on either side of the garage door bay. So I was initially disappointed that the mirror folding button was gone for the 3 (it's 2 taps away now on the screen, which isn't horrible), but since the 3 is narrower than the S, I don't have concerns of hitting the edges of the bay with the mirrors extended.

I use the mirror-folding button on the S, only because without folding the mirrors, I have an inch or two clearance on either side of the garage door bay. So I was initially disappointed that the mirror folding button was gone for the 3 (it's 2 taps away now on the screen, which isn't horrible), but since the 3 is narrower than the S, I don't have concerns of hitting the edges of the bay with the mirrors extended.

I have to fold the mirrors to get the 3 in my garage. The 2nd car is a wider SUV. I also find that hitting the tiny homelink icon while approaching the house is a bit of a hit or miss affair. I would also love a traditional button for the glovebox since I need to get into it regularly.

I just think a few buttons for stuff that is used in some cases multiple times a day could only help and not hurt.

I have to fold the mirrors to get the 3 in my garage. The 2nd car is a wider SUV. I also find that hitting the tiny homelink icon while approaching the house is a bit of a hit or miss affair. I would also love a traditional button for the glovebox since I need to get into it regularly.

I just think a few buttons for stuff that is used in some cases multiple times a day could only help and not hurt.

I think in the future, when the voice command is sussed out, we will realize you don't need a button for anything