Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid full price for this car, why am I forced to deal with so many ads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh shoot, I just found some advertisements on the outside of my car too. These are preliminary estimates, but it appears that approximately 1% of my hood and 1.7% of my trunk are devoted to advertisements. Unbelievable.

Edit: Looks like I’m not the only one! @cantchoosename noticed them too!
Thanks for pointing this out. Now that you mention it I notice that even my tires are covered with advertisements. And I paid for those tires, hard cold cash money I did. Is there no justice in this world anymore?

Oh shoot, I just found some advertisements on the outside of my car too. These are preliminary estimates, but it appears that approximately 1% of my hood and 1.7% of my trunk are devoted to advertisements. Unbelievable.

Edit: Looks like I’m not the only one! @cantchoosename noticed them too!
I was looking out the window when driving the other day and there were these "billboard" things showing adverts!! I mean WHY do Tesla allow these things to leak through the glass???

Reactions: PACEMD and gtg465x
Since this is getting WAY too serious....

For fun, I did the math based on the M3/MY screens. On the home panel, the "Upgrades" button actually occupies 0.8% of the total screen by area. So it's 10x less than posted. However, if you total up all the various panels that popup (Service, Lights etc) and then look at the area of the Upgrades panel, the TOTAL of the UI devoted to the Upgrades "ads" is 6%, again by area (the main full screen plus the popup panels, plus the climate controls etc).

BUT, how could Tesla offer an option to NOT display the Upgrades panel? They would have to put a button somewhere saying "Do not show upgrades panel", but this button, by your definition, would ITSELF by an "ad", so they kinda cannot have the option to not show it ... shades of Russell's Paradox :)
If we're being serious, I would like an option to customize the layout of the app and in-car screen. Could just be a settings tab which lets you reorder the menu items and toggle certain ones on/off. Obviously couldn't let you toggle off everything but I would toggle off Upgrades in my car and Upgrades, Safety Score, and Lootbox in my app.

I don't care enough to want them to actually dedicate resources to this, but in my ideal world we would have this option.

This is TMC and as has been said many times here. if Tesla offered something for free it would cause complaints by folks who wanted the free thing in different colors, or how it should have something else offered free or "why is the free thing so useless".
Free toy car anyone?

Reactions: PACEMD
As a test, I used the Tesla App to disable upgrade purchases from the car. Now, when I tap the Upgrades tab on the car's display, I just get a message that upgrades are disabled. So, is this still advertising given that the "Ad" no offers any products or services?

I was hoping the Upgrades tab would go away, but no luck there.

Reactions: PACEMD
This is TMC and as has been said many times here. if Tesla offered something for free it would cause complaints by folks who wanted the free thing in different colors, or how it should have something else offered free or "why is the free thing so useless".
Free toy car anyone?
Agreed, and similar to the post above ma y will complain “I didn’t realize that was available for my car Tesla is horrible at updating people” followed by I want this updates available tab removed. They will never please everyone yet everyone will complain no matter what is offered.

As a test, I used the Tesla App to disable upgrade purchases from the car. Now, when I tap the Upgrades tab on the car's display, I just get a message that upgrades are disabled. So, is this still advertising given that the "Ad" no offers any products or services?

I was hoping the Upgrades tab would go away, but no luck there.
"This Ad intentionally left blank"

Maybe this isn’t new but in all my years I’ve never seen this.

The last two times I charged the car I’ve gotten popup banners in the lower right left corner; over where I keep my now playing music.

In each I had to swipe them away.

One was suggesting I check out the games section and have a play while waiting.

Another was to check out some streaming content while waiting.

Anyway to turn these suggestions off?

What’s coming next ads 3rd party companies Tesla profits off.

Not a big deal, so far, but kind of annoying.

I asked a mod for this subforum to merge this post into the existing 6 page thread on this topic, which is here: