Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really MUST get a portable charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=39349&d=1388325765.jpg

This is where the rest of the energy is.

Just out of interest, did your trip on Thursday involve a drive through Surfers Paradise?

I will be importing a European one and contrary to statements made by others on this forum, I do not need approval unless I am going to sell them.
Ray

I've only stated what the NSW government has said not other states.

so look at the risks according to the SA government sa.gov.au - Buying electrical appliances
"Risks of buying and selling unapproved proclaimed products

• Appliances that are unapproved have caused fires, electric shocks and injuries to users.
  • In the event of an accident your insurance may not cover damages caused by unapproved appliances.
  • These appliances may not have a valid warranty and you may not be able to find spare parts for the product in Australia.
  • It is illegal to offer proclaimed products for sale or hire unless they have been approved by either an Australian state regulator or a recognised independent testing organisation."

1. is unlikely provided you buy an approved euro one. and don't ruin the design by putting a 10amp plug on a 16amp evse
2. depends on how much of pain your insurance company is but the building burns down that your charging your car off don't expect an easy ride.
3. is a standard risk with all imports.
4. SA agrees with you only have to have approval if you sell/hire

attachment.php?attachmentid=39349&d=1388325765.jpg

This is where the rest of the energy is.

Just out of interest, did your trip on Thursday involve a drive through Surfers Paradise?

This has to be the most useful graphic I have seen for the Model S. Where did it come from?

Can we assume that even when the available range (I have no idea which of the many estimated range numbers this might be) is showing as 0 kms (perhaps the "speedo" one?) that we still have perhaps 25kms if the average usage is say 200wh/km?

Out of curiosity: do the Australian cars have a Type 2 inlet? What adapters for the UMC do you get with the car? You don't get one like on the right of the pic below, only with your kind of 10/16A plug instead of EU Schuko plug?

dd159a858f531d25916c65d00f9982ff.jpg

Yes - Australian cars have the Mennekes Type 2 socket.

The only 'adaptor' is a fixed 40AMP fixed connector.

Ray

I see. A lot of Norwegians have two UMCs due to a first batch with faulty charge port opening buttons (no big issue - just open from the 17" screen). I'm sure I could get you one at an OK price and mail it. Then you just make a Schuko-> Australian plug adapter. If your plug is rated at maximum 10A you'd have to limit the draw to that on the screen, since the UMC will try to draw 13A by default with the Schuko adapter attached.

Edit: might not work though. Don't your electrons spin the opposite way down under? ;)

Last edited:
This has to be the most useful graphic I have seen for the Model S. Where did it come from?

Can we assume that even when the available range (I have no idea which of the many estimated range numbers this might be) is showing as 0 kms (perhaps the "speedo" one?) that we still have perhaps 25kms if the average usage is say 200wh/km?

I have seen the graphic around a few places - I think it originated elsewhere on this forum. It just seemed particularly relevant to this discussion.

Clearly there is some range below 0 but I wouldn't want to posit an estimation myself.

I spoke today with Tesla St. Leonard's and was told that we are in a long worldwide queue for some af the parts needed for the mobile connector. Now not likely until end of Q2 this year.
Given Tesla time that could be who knows when.
i have bought another HPWC for mobile use.

I spoke today with Tesla St. Leonard's and was told that we are in a long worldwide queue for some af the parts needed for the mobile connector. Now not likely until end of Q2 this year.

Blimey, that isn't very good at all (and pretty poor planning). Glad I did the same with the HPWC but it's not a great solution. I guess it really opens the market for a third party product.

Blimey, that isn't very good at all (and pretty poor planning). Glad I did the same with the HPWC but it's not a great solution. I guess it really opens the market for a third party product.

Especially one that:

- covers 3-phase 32A
- accommodates a range of power sources
- includes easily changeable adaptors
- is thoughtful about packaging and storage when not in use.

While I'd prefer Tesla produced charging kit, given the potential timing and the fact that they'll likely only be lower amperage UMC's from Tesla, I'd be interested in considering purchasing one of these, if such a thing was produced/available/certified for Aus.

Received my second HPWC today and attached a 15A extension cord to same.
Would you believe that the installation manual in the box still has incorrect diagram for connecting the red and black wires.
I reckon this is VERY slack- the local mob (and/or Tesla USA) have had months to print an amended diagram if not the correct booklet.
(BTW the unit is marked as a Medium power wall unit ie MPWC)

Received my second HPWC today and attached a 15A extension cord to same.
Would you believe that the installation manual in the box still has incorrect diagram for connecting the red and black wires.
I reckon this is VERY slack- the local mob (and/or Tesla USA) have had months to print an amended diagram if not the correct booklet.
(BTW the unit is marked as a Medium power wall unit ie MPWC)
MPWC is a good name for your Wall Connector. The North American HPWC can deliver 19.2kW (240VAC 80A) while the MPWC can only deliver 9.2kW (230VAC 40A). A 22kW 3 phase HPWC should eventually be available in Australia, Hong Kong, and Europe.

The non-availability of a 240v x 10A portable charging device is holding me back from progressing with a purchase.
Its not my daily use as being an issue, its when I want to visit my family and plug-in at their house. I live about 380 km from Melbourne on the Victoria west coast. I have another family member about 250 km from me and they are about 440 km from Melbourne but are on the main highway between Melbourne and Adelaide. I see in the future I'll be able to Supercharge in Melbourne but at the moment I need a means to charge up at 240v x 10A.
Any suggestions or do I just have to wait for Tesla?

The non-availability of a 240v x 10A portable charging device is holding me back from progressing with a purchase.
Its not my daily use as being an issue, its when I want to visit my family and plug-in at their house. I live about 380 km from Melbourne on the Victoria west coast. I have another family member about 250 km from me and they are about 440 km from Melbourne but are on the main highway between Melbourne and Adelaide. I see in the future I'll be able to Supercharge in Melbourne but at the moment I need a means to charge up at 240v x 10A.

Like you, I am waiting (now rather impatiently) for Tesla to produce a 10amp connection, for the same reasons, eg, linking with family & friends until their Superchargers are in place, connecting our region with Adelaide. We now use our HPWC, 265km West of Melbourne, and don't hesitate to venture close to 200km from home. A trip to the Otways (hills) later this week may test us ! PM me if we can assist in 3280. Let's say, categorically - you won't regret placing your order !

FIRSTLY I reckon that by the time a new Tesla was to arrive, if you ordered one now, the mobile charger would be available. By delivery. I spoke with Tesla yesterday and was told that they are beta testing it right now. It is expected to be released by 2nd quarter.

SECONDLY even if you did need an immediate solution, you could buy a second wall charger and just connect a 240v plug to it. You can limit it to 10amps by dip switches inside. Another on this forum has done it and he said it works like a charm.

FIRSTLY I reckon that by the time a new Tesla was to arrive, if you ordered one now, the mobile charger would be available. By delivery. I spoke with Tesla yesterday and was told that they are beta testing it right now. It is expected to be released by 2nd quarter.

SECONDLY even if you did need an immediate solution, you could buy a second wall charger and just connect a 240v plug to it. You can limit it to 10amps by dip switches inside. Another on this forum has done it and he said it works like a charm.

Here is my solution. Worked perfectly over the last couple of weeks.

Mobile charging for Australia - Page 26

Here is my solution. Worked perfectly over the last couple of weeks.

Mobile charging for Australia - Page 26

Yes MangroveMike, that is exactly what I had in mind. I suppose there is a little room for mischief too. You can leave the dip switches to allow greater than 10 amps (as you have apparently done) and limit it to 10 amos from inside the car. Then whenever you are charging from a holiday cabin, you could make a cursory inspection of the fusebox and come to a rudimentary conclusion about whether there are hardwire fuses or circuit breakers. If the latter, and you are careful with a hint of villainy, you could gradually up the amps from inside the car. When the circuit breaker trips, you reactivate it and then crank it down a notch. But don't quote me if you blow out the house wiring or cause a fire. I will deny all knowledge of this convo. My computer was hacked Your Honour!

... Then whenever you are charging from a holiday cabin, you could make a cursory inspection of the fusebox and come to a rudimentary conclusion about whether there are hardwire fuses or circuit breakers. If the latter, and you are careful with a hint of villainy, you could gradually up the amps from inside the car. When the circuit breaker trips, you reactivate it and then crank it down a notch. But don't quote me if you blow out the house wiring or cause a fire. I will deny all knowledge of this convo. My computer was hacked Your Honour!

I know you're only semi serious but I'd strongly advise against something like that. Perfectly installed wiring that is to code *should* be able to handle its rated load continuously, but on a given outlet that rating is 10A (at least the outlet and probably the wiring too for continuous draw) even though the breaker might be 20A for the circuit. Standard breakers are also pretty inaccurate and could trip quite a decent amount above or below their nominal rating. Tweaking up a high current continuous drain to just below the breaker trip point for multiple hours at a time would be a, er, brave move :). Household wiring and circuit breakers just aren't designed to protect this sort of situation as far as I know.