Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really want to love the aeros, I just can't.

Which is the look for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matte Black T Sportline 20's for the summer and naked aero's for the winter. In the winter if I'm traveling more than 50 miles in a day I will certainly but the covers back on. I think the aero wheels look ok and the functionality of them are a huge bonus.

I don't care what other people think about my car looks, I'm going supergreen.

The difference I understand is quite significant - up to 10%.
Given that you'd normally want to not charge above 90% and potential losses in the cold weather around 30% and that the mountains are 70 miles away from me(thats where all the skiing and hiking is ;) ), I don't need any more unnecessary range cuts, thank you.

I've had my Model 3 with Aeros for almost 4 weeks now. In advance I had bought covers for the nuts and the center caps. I expected to remove the covers immediately. But within one day I was used to, and liking the look of the car with the Aeros. Then, just yesterday, my 24 years old son was over visiting and we took off one Aero cover to make the comparison. He and I both agreed, the Aero's are way cooler than the wheel beneath. Plus I like them more than the 19's (BTW, the Model 3 has a bit of a harsh ride, I wouldn't want 19's).

Here's the jist; With the Aeros the car looks special, it is an eye catcher to the other drivers on the road. Without the Aeros, from any angle other than the front, it looks like any other medium car such as Lexus is250, etc.

I never liked picts of the Aero covers installed. In person, I really like how they look.

100% agree.

For myself, in pics the aero's looked fugly, the sport wheels stunning, and the car itself decent. In person, the aero covers looked better and "cool" somehow, the sport wheels less stunning but still very nice, and the car itself visually striking.

Thanks for all the replies! It actually made me rethink how I was looking at things. I guess what I have to remember is that the hubcaps I had on my 1980 Toyota Celica were from like Pep Boys and were in a faux chrome finish. Wow, high school days! ;)

I went back to look for more images and some photos make the hubcaps look damn good (see attached)! Also, the wheel underneath is really pretty nice. You get the the lug nut kit with the center cap and bam! Probably makes the most sense to just buy the car with the standard Aeros, save the $1,500, and see how I like them. Then, I can always pop off the hubcap and go naked (see attached), or spring for some other wheels with the money I saved. Plus, the Aeros just blend with the Midnight Silver Metallic so well. Maybe I can fall in love with the hubcaps and save some dough in the process.

Yup, again, thanks everyone for providing me some clarity. It was my hope that's what would happen. You all rock!
MSM with Aeros-1.png
MSM side view with Aeros.png
MSM with Aeros-2.png
Close Up Aero.png
Close Up Alloy (under Aero).png

I like the idea of the aero wheels (10% better range=good), but from the pics, anyhow, the 19" wheels look much better to my eye, with or without the covers on the 18". Maybe my opinion will moderate after seeing them in person. Currently leaning toward blue or red, but midnight silver still has a chance. The aeros look better on the latter. I will still probably wait for the Performance model, and that may have (an)other wheel choice(s).

Just my opinion but the colour of the Aero wheel doesn't contrast enough with midnight silver, so if I was going midnight silver and Aero wheels I'd have a play in photoshop and see what they would look like with a coat of bronze paint or silver like the 19s. If that still didn't look good then rather than the sports wheels I'd find something nice from the aftermarket suppliers.

The Aero caps are horrid and would live in a box in the rafters of the garage till it was time to sell the car if it was me. (might break them out for a road trip if the trip planner said they'd enable me to skip an inconvenient supercharger stop)

• Funny
Reactions: suwaneedad
If the aeros offer any kind of weight or aerodynamic advantage, I'll go with them.
And I'm not a huge fan of short sidewalls. I know they are in fashion, but curbing, ride, tire selection should be better.

If not, I like pic #3, the 'Z06' style 10-spokes. These tend to be a very light and strong design with excellent brake cooling.

Tesla mentioned that the aero wheels provide aerodynamic advantage -- around 5% - 10% more mileage.

I found a test video that shows ~4% increase in efficiency on Model 3s with Aero caps on:
The really fun thing about the Model 3 is how much greater efficiency it has over the Model S. I've turned into one of those geeks driving for ultimate efficiency. This being yet another reason I like to keep my Aero's mounted on the car.

The really fun thing about the Model 3 is how much greater efficiency it has over the Model S. I've turned into one of those geeks driving for ultimate efficiency. This being yet another reason I like to keep my Aero's mounted on the car.

I think I will order aerowheels too. But I'm more worried about it being stolen by theives because it is so easy to remove. I will probably only put them on for long-range trip or something.