Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think my new-to-me CPO P85D is a dud. Am I wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my P85D with the 21 inch turbine wheels on July 12 and since then I would say I have enjoyed and also not enjoyed the car. I do a bit of long distance driving for work a lot and I had been getting much lower mileage than the car is rated for, when my average on drives was only about 30 watts per mile above what the car is rated. I usually get around 320-335 a mile compared to the rated 295 for the EPA range for the vehicle. I was writing off some of my low mileage to living in a hilly area, because I would have to charge the car every 5 days or so after doing a few 30 mile drives here and there.

Recently, thinking that this experience is not normal, I've started tracking my usage using the given set of tools for the car, as well as measuring using the most "precise" metric available on the car, the "Ideal" mileage rating.

I charged the car last Wednesday, August 21st, up to 90% (which should be 76.5 Kw), and cut my mileage down for what I can since then. Since this charge, I have driven 116.8 miles, used 41.3 Kwh at an average of 335 per mile, according to the onboard computer, and I only have 14% battery left, or 11.9 (supposedly) of wattage. If we go by the percentage I've lost however, this would mean that my battery only has 7.6 Kw hours of charge left, and that my max battery is actually only 54 (!!!) Kilowatts worth of charge and distance.

If this was accurate to what I've gotten on my mileage, it's saying that I've lost either close to 25 Kw to vampire drain over the course of a week (I have ALL power saving methods for the car turned on), or that wattage wasn't even there to begin with. It is NOT cold where I live currently (we've had average temps this past week of 78 F), and I do not do any "rapid acceleration" as where I live there are no highways, simply roadways to town and back (I live in a small college town), so I can accelerate at my leisure.

What is going on!?

TL:DR Only getting 54 Kw of capacity and range on a CPO P85D. Will Tesla care?

320-335 Wh/mi is a pretty normal number to get for the performance models.
Major factors that play into that:
Lots of short drives. Every time you get back in the car, the HVAC is working to cool off the car over again.
Going 70+ MPH on the highway
Taking off at stoplights
Keeping your cabin extra cool in the summer, and toasty in the winter

Things that drain the car when you're not driving:
Cabin overheat protection
Constantly checking on the car with the app (preventing a sleep state)
Smart preconditioning, possibly.

Max battery capacity of the 85 is closer to 81kWh, and not all of that is accessible.

Why don't you charge your car every night? Charging isn't like filling up a gas tank. Just set your charge limit to something appropriate for your normal day of driving and plug in at night.

EDIT:
You may want to look into something like TeslaFi to track your consumption.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and bhzmark
I don't run the AC in 90+ weather, a small crack in the windows does it for me. A my roads are 60 mph max, I also don't speed, I'm not in a hurry. My schedule isn't consistent enough for preconditioning, so that's turned off, and I think I've opened the app 3 times in the past month.

My concern isn't with my usage, it's that I'm not getting what I paid for, and drastically so.

I don't run the AC in 90+ weather, a small crack in the windows does it for me. A my roads are 60 mph max, I also don't speed, I'm not in a hurry. My schedule isn't consistent enough for preconditioning, so that's turned off, and I think I've opened the app 3 times in the past month.

My concern isn't with my usage, it's that I'm not getting what I paid for, and drastically so.
You say you last charged 7 days ago. I just looked at the last time my car sat for 7 days off the charger (Cabin overheat protection off). It went from 71% to 48%.
With some driving in there, I wouldn't worry about your losses too much. But really though, why not charge more often?

p85d_idle.PNG

1. Charge daily. Doing so is not only recommended in the manual, but is also makes the discharge cycle shallower for the battery.

Using 1000 kWh thru many shallow discharges is better than using 1000 kWh thru a smaller number of deep discharges.

2. Your car is also using energy when not driving, and this is not covered by the trip meter. This can be anywhere from a few miles a day to about 8 or so, depending on your settings. As mentioned above, ensure the car is set with Energy saving mode on, that you don’t check on the car often with the app or other third-party apps (like Teslafi, etc)—all these things wake the car up and cause it to use significantly more standby energy than when it is allowed to go to sleep.

3. 90% SOC does not mean 76.5kWh are stored in the pack. There are buffers (energy reserves), primarily on the lower end, to protect the pack from damage.

4. Check your tire pressures. Low tire pressure will of course reduce range.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Again, my concern isn't with usage, but that I'm not getting what I paid for, which is a car with 253 miles of EPA Rated range.

Recently, I had to drive to a large city for work. I charged the car to 100%, drove the 90 miles to that city at 305 Wh average, only to have to super charge the car to have the mileage to get back home, because the car was saying it only had 88 rated miles of range left, when I left my house with a supposed 243 miles worth of range.

This is what started my little experiment this last week. I'm planning on charging the car to full, then driving it dead as efficiently as possible to see how much range I get.

I came here to ask this question to make sure I'm not being paranoid, as this is my first Tesla.

1. Charge daily. Doing so is not only recommended in the manual, but is also makes the discharge cycle shallower for the battery.

Using 1000 kWh thru many shallow discharges is better than using 1000 kWh thru a smaller number of deep discharges.

2. Your car is also using energy when not driving, and this is not covered by the trip meter. This can be anywhere from a few miles a day to about 8 or so, depending on your settings. As mentioned above, ensure the car is set with Energy saving mode on, that you don’t check on the car often with the app or other third-party apps (like Teslafi, etc)—all these things wake the car up and cause it to use significantly more standby energy than when it is allowed to go to sleep.

3. 90% SOC does not mean 76.5kWh are stored in the pack. There are buffers (energy reserves), primarily on the lower end, to protect the pack from damage.

4. Check your tire pressures. Low tire pressure will of course reduce range.
Is there. A way to check tire pressure on the car? My BMW before this would tell me my tire pressures on the infotainment console, I haven't found that option on the Tesla

Is there. A way to check tire pressure on the car? My BMW before this would tell me my tire pressures on the infotainment console, I haven't found that option on the Tesla
Hold the right scroll wheel until the menu to change the right display on the IC shows up, then scroll to "Car Status". You'll need to be driving to have numbers displayed there.

Reactions: bhzmark
Again, my concern isn't with usage, but that I'm not getting what I paid for, which is a car with 253 miles of EPA Rated range.

Recently, I had to drive to a large city for work. I charged the car to 100%, drove the 90 miles to that city at 305 Wh average, only to have to super charge the car to have the mileage to get back home, because the car was saying it only had 88 rated miles of range left, when I left my house with a supposed 243 miles worth of range.

This is what started my little experiment this last week. I'm planning on charging the car to full, then driving it dead as efficiently as possible to see how much range I get.

I came here to ask this question to make sure I'm not being paranoid, as this is my first Tesla.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. You should DEFINITELY be getting more than that.

Depending on what speed you're at, leaving the window down will use a huge amount of energy.

Have you actually turned off the AC? I've found that there is big difference between "setting it to roughly what the current temperature is and assuming it'll not use much power" and "turning it off".

Just to toss my 2 cents out there. I’ve had both a P85 and a P85D what you’re reporting sounds Pretty normal is you aren’t charging it regularly. Several have asked WHY you don’t charge daily vs letting it sit and charging it when it’s low? That can cause the computer to wrongly estimate. On my P85D my 100% is 241 I’ve gotten 224 actual miles when pulling into the garage at 0 miles (don’t ever recommend doing this. Was a complete accident)

Vampire drain is a real thing. For instance I can charge to 90% and by morning it’s at 88%.

• Helpful
The EPA range rating is when new. You bought a used car with age and miles, both of which cause battery degradation. Did you ask Tesla to show you the vehicle's calculated range at 100% charge before you bought it? You can't expect to get EPA range on a Tesla that isn't brand new. They start losing miles almost immediately.

• Informative

“Your mileage may vary”.

You did get what you paid for, which is a car that had 253 EPA rated miles of range when new.

1) Your car is not new any more. Batteries degrade with time and mileage.

2) Even when brand new, you may never achieve the EPA rated range.

3) 21” wheels are about a 10% hit to EPA rated range by themselves. The EPA range rating assumes 19” wheels.

If you can charge daily, do so.

Sounds like your car is behaving completely normally. You’re wasting your time with a service appointment. Tesla will probably do a remote diagnosis on your battery, tell you everything is fine, and cancel the appointment.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when you bought the car there was an “*” next to the range stating range will vary based on the status of the battery. It is a used car and the battery will not have the same range as when it was new.

Reactions: Rocky_H and bhzmark
Just to toss my 2 cents out there. I’ve had both a P85 and a P85D what you’re reporting sounds Pretty normal is you aren’t charging it regularly. Several have asked WHY you don’t charge daily vs letting it sit and charging it when it’s low? That can cause the computer to wrongly estimate. On my P85D my 100% is 241 I’ve gotten 224 actual miles when pulling into the garage at 0 miles (don’t ever recommend doing this. Was a complete accident)

Vampire drain is a real thing. For instance I can charge to 90% and by morning it’s at 88%.
Do you set charging to end right before you take off in the morning? If i leave for work at 7 i set so its done charging at close to 7am.