Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think the power is out for most of New Jersey...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): Edited thread title to make it clear which state was being referred to.

pwoer1.JPG
pwoer2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If the weather patterns are such that there will be more severe hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc., this industry should take off. Having to deal with all this on top of covid and flooding in some areas (and heard tornadoes were a possibility in places even NYC), has got to be so stressful. Hope everyone affected stays safe.

Nice! I bet you feel your PowerWalls were a good investment. Are you hosting neighbors or at least letting them charge their phones? :)
Gave my gas powered generator to my neighbor. Neighborhood kids come over to recharge their battery packs and use wifi ;)

Still no power after 20+ hours. Powerwalls came down to 20% overnight but are happily charging now

Gave my gas powered generator to my neighbor. Neighborhood kids come over to recharge their battery packs and use wifi ;)

Still no power after 20+ hours. Powerwalls came down to 20% overnight but are happily charging now

Nice!
If running out of power is a concern I would recommend cutting your power use.

We have three PowerWalls as well. In the summer, they are a convenience for us. In the winter they are critical (our only heat is electric), so we don’t power the whole house.

Hope the power is back on soon and congratulations on the successful PowerWall test ;)

If the weather patterns are such that there will be more severe hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc., this industry should take off. Having to deal with all this on top of covid and flooding in some areas (and heard tornadoes were a possibility in places even NYC), has got to be so stressful. Hope everyone affected stays safe.
Yeah. And every one of these events is free advertising for Tesla as neighbors realize the power is still on in that house, come by (perhaps to charge a phone) and ask how it is the house has power. OP should offer the free charging he mentioned and hand out his referral code at the same time. :)

I am not sure I will be giving away my gas-powered generator soon, but hope I don't ever have to use it again.

We are coming up on fire season here in the West. And that means Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) if there are any strong dry winds. I hope when the PSPS comes I can be a generous as you with the electrons from the powerwalls.

BTW, you should post your Tesla referral code on a banner on the side of your house. Put a light over the banner so they can see if from the dark streets.

We're always going to have bad weather and threads like this really make me happy to see real progress making a more resilient grid. As much as I love my Powerwall as a novelty it'll be great when the technology is more prolific and "the grid is down" is not as big of a deal. :)

@morbidz On your first post your PW app showed just 600W from Solar to the PWs. They were at 94% so you were getting close to the taper if not already in it.

Not sure when you captured the image. Have you been monitoring your solar production vs the PW SoC? Curious how the PWs are throttling your solar output (if at all) based on all your factors of solar production, home consumption, PW SoC etc.

This of course is going to depend on how your solar inverters respond to frequency adjustments too. If you have a Kill-o-Watt or some such device to measure you frequency it could be very interesting to document it.

Or you could just bask in the fact that you have power. :D

@morbidz On your first post your PW app showed just 600W from Solar to the PWs. They were at 94% so you were getting close to the taper if not already in it.

Not sure when you captured the image. Have you been monitoring your solar production vs the PW SoC? Curious how the PWs are throttling your solar output (if at all) based on all your factors of solar production, home consumption, PW SoC etc.

This of course is going to depend on how your solar inverters respond to frequency adjustments too. If you have a Kill-o-Watt or some such device to measure you frequency it could be very interesting to document it.

Or you could just bask in the fact that you have power. :D

Image was taken as soon the the grid failed (middle of the storm) so not much production.
Today is a beautiful day and PWs got recharged very quickly and now if the house is not drawing much the solar generation shuts off around when PWs are around 97%.
Then house starts drawing from the PW and it dischages to about 95% and solar kicks back in.

To keep solar production going, I kept the pool pump and both AC zones running non-stop during the day

Have been w/o grid power for over 28 hours now....

Image was taken as soon the the grid failed (middle of the storm) so not much production.
Today is a beautiful day and PWs got recharged very quickly and now if the house is not drawing much the solar generation shuts off around when PWs are around 97%.
Then house starts drawing from the PW and it dischages to about 95% and solar kicks back in.

To keep solar production going, I kept the pool pump and both AC zones running non-stop during the day

Have been w/o grid power for over 28 hours now....

"pool pump and both AC zones running non-stop during the day". Now you are just rubbing it in on your neighbors. :D