Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think the power is out for most of New Jersey...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The powerwalls are certainly designed to take over that function when you are off grid and I have seen no issues during my extended off grid testing. My system was installed on 6/22 and 6/23 and since then, according to the app, I have spent just under 1000 hours off grid, with my longest off grid period being more than 228 hours.

Interestingly it would appear that the powerwall firmware upgrade doesn’t happen when the system is off grid (which probably makes sense). I saw mention of a 1.48.0 firmware a few weeks ago, but my powerwalls have stayed on 1.47.0 since the day they were installed. I figure they’ll probably upgrade eventually (probably after PTO) when I go back on grid for a while.

I don't think they are pushing 1.48.0 in the US yet. If you read the release notes it is mostly changes for overseas markets. The release notes read:

July 2020

Version 1.48

Updated support for utility grid connections in Japan and South Africa

Improved Powerwall performance for sites in South Australia Virtual Power Plant

FWIW, mine upgraded to 1.47.0 while in testing mode.

Thanks.

Did you just call up Tesla and have them change the max frequency to a lower value?

In my case I asked my installer about it and he only had a vague understanding of what I was talking about, but he called for me and was able to get them to change it.

From the UPS thread it seems like most people are able to call support on their own and request the change. Instead of just saying that you want the frequency lowered they seem to want to know why you need it lowered. Either that your UPS’s are beeping or your lights are flickering or whatever. If you mention your UPS’s they will probably want to know the make and model of the UPS’s.

Reactions: jboy210
I don't think they are pushing 1.48.0 in the US yet. If you read the release notes it is mostly changes for overseas markets. The release notes read:

July 2020

Version 1.48

I'm on 1.48 in San Diego County. Have been for a month.

Lived through two prolonged (over a week each) power outages in NJ years ago during Hurricanes Sandy and Irene. Vowed never to be crippled like that again. Bought a top-of-the-line portable Honda generator (eu5000is or something at the time) with 4 extra gas tanks and had a transfer switch installed. Luckily, never had to use it before leaving NJ for CA. Unfortunately for our old neighbors, they are re-living those scenarios all over again this week and I am getting ugly flashbacks to those freezing cold, miserable days without power. So yeah, I would say it is common enough on the east coast. I also remember massive price gouging at the hotels that still had power, 5 hour lines at the gas stations, and reports of generator theft all over the state. It did not take long for civilization to start fraying at the seams.

Looked into standby natural gas generators from Generac et al but they were limited by gas pipeline flow capacity. On our cul-de-sac, if only one or two other homes also chose to install such generators, there would not have been enough flow capacity during a power outage to turn them on at the same time. Plus the potential maintenance and repair issues with those devices, essentially gas engines mounted on a slab.

So yeah, I love my Powerwalls =)
I'm going solar and Powerwalls this time around but during sandy I ran for 8 days on a 20kW Generac guardian NG generator flawlessly. It was quite an expensive gas bill though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dukeybootie

July 2020

Version 1.48

I just looked at the firmware on my powerwalls and I am at 1.48.1, actually. I dont pay much attention to powerwall firmware updates unless I read here about some changes or other that I am interested in. I think its best to think of PW firmware updates just like the tesla car ones, in that, there is likely some kind of rolling schedule, and not everyone may get every version update.

Edit:.. should have read to the end of the thread and seen that others had already said that. Sorry, wasnt trying to beat you over the head with it.

FYI. I called Tesla Energy today to have them reduce the gateway inverter cutoff frequency so my UPSes would not freak out. The guy asked me which model inverters and says it will take 4-5 working days to get it changed. He apologized and said normally it was a 1-2 day change, but with the mess on the East Coast, a lot of their people were on the phone with East Coast customers working through power issues.

I bet this is the first legit power outage for a lot of Powerwall customers.

A lot of microwaves aren't working at 65hz. :D

Jokes aside, I suspect too many customers don't test their system or maybe flip the breaker once. I don't think people realize that Tesla does not do a lot of testing when they install, and things can also fail over time. Like a lot of other disaster planning/recovery processes, it is worth testing the PWs from time to time and hopefully find any issues before it is an emergency.

Jokes aside, I suspect too many customers don't test their system or maybe flip the breaker once. I don't think people realize that Tesla does not do a lot of testing when they install, and things can also fail over time. Like a lot of other disaster planning/recovery processes, it is worth testing the PWs from time to time and hopefully find any issues before it is an emergency.

Oh no doubt.

It's not stressed enough that you should make sure things work the way you think they will.

Reactions: jjrandorin