Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want “iconic sounds”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished test drive of an i4. Interesting in a bunch of ways. Not a replacement for my Y - primarily bc of interior space BUT loved the iconic sounds of accelerating and decelerating BMW has come up with. So much better than fart noises!

How can we get Tesla to mimic??

Yeah, I always thought it odd that Tesla didn't implement any sort of driving sounds. I don't want sounds that mimic a combustion engine, which Tesla probably agrees with, but the "Jetsons" type of UFO sounds would be really cool.
I believe that the fart sounds were created as a middle finger of those that wanted Tesla to reproduce ICE engine sounds. Tesla tried other sounds with the boom box feature, but the US Government made them stop. NHTSA said that any sounds produced while driving could interfere with the PWS.

Just finished test drive of an i4. Interesting in a bunch of ways. Not a replacement for my Y - primarily bc of interior space BUT loved the iconic sounds of accelerating and decelerating BMW has come up with. So much better than fart noises!

How can we get Tesla to mimic??
One of the nice things about an EV is the lack of engine noise. Why would you want to change that?

Showing my age, but when I was a kid there was a Christmas Toy all the kids wanted. Za Zoom had a very exciting TV ad geared to kids, unlike Chia Pet it was a one year wonder, but someone made a lot of money that year. Za Zoom looked like a little motorcycle engine and made engine noises when turned on. Christmas Day half the kids were ridding up and down the street making noise. For what ever reason I was not impressed by this toy, nor am I impressed by an EV making ICE noises.

IMG_0886.jpeg

There is always this;

Years ago I was surprised to learn that manufactures were adding engine noise to the inside of the vehicle. I owned a 2013 Fiesta ST and it used a snorkel from the intake to the inside of the cockpit. I understand that some of the high end vehicles pipe an engine sound through the stereo speaker system.

There is always this;

Years ago I was surprised to learn that manufactures were adding engine noise to the inside of the vehicle. I owned a 2013 Fiesta ST and it used a snorkel from the intake to the inside of the cockpit. I understand that some of the high end vehicles pipe an engine sound through the stereo speaker system.
Ford did that with our 2010 Mustang GT. It was removed to install a CIA that actually did something.

Noise is an adverse byproduct that adds nothing to performance, and in many cases interferes with situational awareness.

Note: I have no intent of starting a philosophical discussion on the definition of noise. Although, I have no doubt someone will try :)

Reactions: 804son and Darmie
More like futuristic symphony.
Now I'm wanting to get a test drive and hear it. I can't confirm nor deny that there may had or not had at one time in my life a playing card on my bicycle.

We show our MX at several car shows in the local area and there's been times I'll play a YT clip of starting up and reving an old dodge engine. With the FWD open the heads turn to see where this sound is coming from.

I love the quiet too but I miss the sound of my GT500. I think it would be fun to have as an optional toy for the interior speakers to play a similar sound keyed to the APP and speed including shift points. I like the fart sounds. Farts are always funny.