Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to buy Salvage Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi My name is Yauheni. I live in Russia

I want to buy Tesla Model S in California From Copart . As i see Copart have only cars with salvage title. I uderstand that this car can't charge on TeslaSuperchargers , has no
warranty service and does not have update software.But what about Mobile App? And can i use internet in car if i insert my native SIM card?

Thank you.

If you get Tesla to transfer the car into your name (requires you to provide full documentation of the purchase, and the new title, etc.), then they MAY add the car to your myTesla account. If they put the car in your myTesla account, then the app will work. If they do not, the app will not work. Simple as that.

You can put your own SIM card into the car for internet access on the MCU, but it requires you to take the dash apart to get the MCU out, and then to take the MCU apart to get to the SIM slot.

If you get Tesla to transfer the car into your name (requires you to provide full documentation of the purchase, and the new title, etc.), then they MAY add the car to your myTesla account. If they put the car in your myTesla account, then the app will work. If they do not, the app will not work. Simple as that.

You can put your own SIM card into the car for internet access on the MCU, but it requires you to take the dash apart to get the MCU out, and then to take the MCU apart to get to the SIM slot.

Thank you bkp_duke!
May be in future I also can update system with salvage title(I see that many new features has 8 firmware like a Spotify and new navigation)? But now we can't, is it true?

Hi My name is Yauheni. I live in Russia

I want to buy Tesla Model S in California From Copart . As i see Copart have only cars with salvage title. I uderstand that this car can't charge on TeslaSuperchargers , has no
warranty service and does not have update software.But what about Mobile App? And can i use internet in car if i insert my native SIM card?

Thank you.
Depending on your technical knowledge, you may not want to do this. It's no easy task. There are several threads on this forum of people taking on salvage teslas and giving up later.

That said, there are also people out there who will help you (probably for a price) to get the car up and running again in a somewhat "frozen in time" state. Meaning, no firmwares, no supercharging, etc etc.

If you're ok with being "off the grid" in a Tesla, this might work for you, otherwise you take on an expensive endeavor. Good luck either way :)