Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish I had a 3D printer...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would make my own air ducts to go around my Hansshow display. At the end of the ducts you could design it to accept the adjustable louvers from a conventional automotive AC system so you could once again direct the air flow where you wanted it.

Keith

Actually owning a 3D printer isn’t the main obstacle. Knowing how to create 3D model in CAD software is the harder part.

Yup. I know there are places that you can take a software file to and have an object printed... I don't know of free ware that would work, and I wouldn't know how to use it even if I had the software. If I ponied up the dough to purchase a 3D printer I would probably learn enough about it to use it at least amateurishly.

Keith

Not what you asked however if you've not purchased this setup is pretty slick.

Tesla Model 3 & Y MSX Driver View Dash & LCD Display (Smart Instrument Cluster)

Yeah, that looks nice, I like the way it is integrated but it doesn't seem to have provisions for improved air flow. Also, it is not an android style touch screen. I use my Hansshow display for google maps most of the time, better navigation and real time traffic than the Tesla navigation.

My 3D print idea is to make a bezel that goes around the Hansshow display and has air ducts that capture all of the air flow from the drivers side vents. The other option is to go "old school" and learn how to do my own fiberglass... but that seems like even more of a pain in the ass than learning to design on the computer.

Later,

Keith

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Yeah, that looks nice, I like the way it is integrated but it doesn't seem to have provisions for improved air flow. Also, it is not an android style touch screen. I use my Hansshow display for google maps most of the time, better navigation and real time traffic than the Tesla navigation.

My 3D print idea is to make a bezel that goes around the Hansshow display and has air ducts that capture all of the air flow from the drivers side vents. The other option is to go "old school" and learn how to do my own fiberglass... but that seems like even more of a pain in the ass than learning to design on the computer.

Later,

Keith
The airflow is whats held me back. Will keep following to see what you come up with.

Thanks for suggestions people, I will check out some of the free software and see if it gets me anywhere.

Keith
What kind of brain do you have? serious question. If you think like an engineer, STEM type brain, get a real CAD program. you can get Fusion 360 free, it's made by Autodesk the same people that make Auto Cad.

However if you are the artsy, free form, creative type, get Blender or Meshmixer. Both are also free.

Also think about the limits of the printer, most are 8"x8" so larger parts needs to be broken up in the design, printed out separated and then "glued" together to make the final assembly. Not hard to do but this needs to be considered during the design phase. The other thing to consider is the material that you will print with. the inside of the Tesla will go beyond 110 degrees in the sun, PLA does not hold its shape at that temp and will deform if the cross section is "thin"

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
What kind of brain do you have? serious question. If you think like an engineer, STEM type brain, get a real CAD program. you can get Fusion 360 free, it's made by Autodesk the same people that make Auto Cad.

However if you are the artsy, free form, creative type, get Blender or Meshmixer. Both are also free.
STEM here, I was a nuclear reactor operator on Submarines :)

Keith