Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yoke looks great, oozes futurism. But that's it.

There is no functional advantage to driving and turning, it's all aesthetics. The marginal gain of making it easier to see instrument information isn't needed.

Function divorced from form, 1 step forward 2 steps backward. Maybe Tesla should have waited for steer by wire, but that's a lot of 2 weeks to wait for.

Don't get me started on capacitive 'buttons' .....

There is no functional advantage to driving and turning, it's all aesthetics. The marginal gain of making it easier to see instrument information isn't needed.

Function divorced from form, 1 step forward 2 steps backward. Maybe Tesla should have waited for steer by wire, but that's a lot of 2 weeks to wait for.

Agreed. How many soccer mom's drive the X? How many of them are going to want a yoke, that is harder to steer, harder to use turn signals and harder to shift gears. Theres is a reason there is a saying - "no need to reinvent the wheel". THIS WAS PROBABLY THE DUMBEST AUTOMOTIVE DECISION SINCE THE EDSEL.

Reactions: JohnnyMa

its not all aesthetics. if you got a tiny low dash it gets obscured by a normal wheel. even the original Model S is borderline and would probably benefit from a slightly yoked wheel.

Another example of a car benefiting heavily from a yoke design would be porsches newer cars where it is not possible to see the outside 2 dials with a normal steering wheel.

Agreed. How many soccer mom's drive the X? How many of them are going to want a yoke, that is harder to steer, harder to use turn signals and harder to shift gears. Theres is a reason there is a saying - "no need to reinvent the wheel". THIS WAS PROBABLY THE DUMBEST AUTOMOTIVE DECISION SINCE THE EDSEL.
Soccer mom's aren't the only ones who can realize the yoke is a serious downgrade in safety and functionality. I'm not a fan of capacitive buttons but they are less egregious than the squared off 1/2 wheel. Also not a fan of drive direction controlled by still-quite fallible AI or less convenient screen slide up/down stuff. New tech can be cool but running out of ideas and just flinging things at the wall because they might look neat is a poor substitute to real advancements.

Ducking from yoke fans! :)

Reactions: msm859 and smogne41
its not all aesthetics. if you got a tiny low dash it gets obscured by a normal wheel. even the original Model S is borderline and would probably benefit from a slightly yoked wheel.

Another example of a car benefiting heavily from a yoke design would be porsches newer cars where it is not possible to see the outside 2 dials with a normal steering wheel.
Probably makes more sense to move the dials then...

Reactions: Msjulie
There are some aftermarket steering wheels that I've seen on the M3. What's the talk I hear from YT creators mentioning that the model 3 will be receiving the auto gear select? Is this going to be a thing? The only reason I can think of Tesla offering this is to receive more input from drivers of what works and what don't work?

There are some aftermarket steering wheels that I've seen on the M3. What's the talk I hear from YT creators mentioning that the model 3 will be receiving the auto gear select? Is this going to be a thing? The only reason I can think of Tesla offering this is to receive more input from drivers of what works and what don't work?
It's so that they don't have to maintain two separate versions of the UI (one with the swipe-to-drive, and one without) at the same time. It's easier to maintain one UI version that works on all Teslas than to have to keep four (or more) (by my count we'd then have at least: yoke, wheel, yoke-with-FSDTest, wheel-with-FSDTest) separate versions up to date at the same time.

tricky because the trend has been to move to smaller steering wheels which just feel better. so at this point you need to have a smaller dash - noone does that as people want lots of info on their dash etc. The yoke kinda solves that problem.

Kind of solves that one problem, while creating more serious problems. It's quite telling that Porsche would knowingly decide to sacrifice visibility of their outer gauges for the benefit of retaining a properly sized (and very excellent) round steering wheel. A no-brainer given the choice, unless, as others have mentioned, the steering ratios were also reconfigured.

the "but you can get used to it!!!!" statement sums it up perfectly... it's literally a solution in search of a problem. Now if it were true steer-by-wire with adjusted ratios ... then a yoke could bring advantages. But that's a lot more complex than "in 2 weeks"

This is the YOKE on the after-sales market. By comparing, you can see who is the most advantageous design, hoping to help you.

Snipaste_2021-08-04_14-58-38.png

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker