Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wonder how many of the people unhappy about V11 are really trolls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla subreddit initially had a few discussions about the UI V11 release, but they subsequently faded. There was also very little chatter on Twitter about it either. The few local Tesla owners that I occasionally communicate with also were ambivalent about it. One didn't even notice the difference because he hardly uses the touchscreen while driving.

In contrast, here there was a tidal wave of complaints about it. I have no idea whether the demographics of the TMC forums are different than those of the overall Tesla ownership population.

The Tesla subreddit initially had a few discussions about the UI V11 release, but they subsequently faded. There was also very little chatter on Twitter about it either. The few local Tesla owners that I occasionally communicate with also were ambivalent about it. One didn't even notice the difference because he hardly uses the touchscreen while driving.

In contrast, here there was a tidal wave of complaints about it. I have no idea whether the demographics of the TMC forums are different than those of the overall Tesla ownership population.

I view TMC as the most official place for Tesla owners to have discussion. Twitter and reddit have a million other topics to discuss, so any complaints there were quickly washed away by Bob Saget or something. TMC also doesn't require you to have a million followers to be able to voice an opinion.

It makes sense to me that the complaints are here, and I believe the reason there are so many are that *most* users are unhappy with the changes. It also tends to be that complaints are louder than compliments... I'm sure that plays a part. I just want v10 back. I *really liked* v10. If I gotta be stuck with v11, then I'm trading this car in for the first electric GM available. GM will *never* update the software and I'd rather deal with spontaneous combustion than this crud. :)

If I gotta be stuck with v11, then I'm trading this car in for the first electric GM available. GM will *never* update the software and I'd rather deal with spontaneous combustion than this crud. :)
This sounds like a bit trolling :D .

I guess it would be more irritating to tell Tesla that you are going to cancel Cybertruck order and go with a Rivian instead.

GM will *never* update the software and I'd rather deal with spontaneous combustion than this crud. :)

A Bolt-owning friend said GM won't update OTA but they probably will in service, e.g. to reduce the battery capacity, hoping to reduce the chance of spontaneous combustion -- and maybe change the UI as well.

It seems pretty likely that it's not going away. They'll make incremental changes to try and improve, but overall the "downgrade" is here to stay, and that makes me pretty frustrated.

If we look only at the past, Tesla pushed out control system refinements, new features, lots of bugs and bug fixes [inadequate QA], additions and deletions of useful info displays, UI improvements and problems [no apparent usability testing], and readability problems for older eyes on rough roads. Also toys and games and streaming services, which is disheartening when there are so many unfixed problems.

V11 seems like it was designed by Facebook's "move fast and break things" motto, myths about Steve Jobs, and an unthinking "declutter" rampage.

But looking forwards, as Tesla reaches a larger audience, something will push them to turn professional about safety-critical UX and QA. That might be NHTSA and its equivalents, Hertz, or these forums right now. [Elon Musk, are you listening?]

A Bolt-owning friend said GM won't update OTA but they probably will in service, e.g. to reduce the battery capacity, hoping to reduce the chance of spontaneous combustion -- and maybe change the UI as well.

If we look only at the past, Tesla pushed out control system refinements, new features, lots of bugs and bug fixes [inadequate QA], additions and deletions of useful info displays, UI improvements and problems [no apparent usability testing], and readability problems for older eyes on rough roads. Also toys and games and streaming services, which is disheartening when there are so many unfixed problems.

V11 seems like it was designed by Facebook's "move fast and break things" motto, myths about Steve Jobs, and an unthinking "declutter" rampage.

But looking forwards, as Tesla reaches a larger audience, something will push them to turn professional about safety-critical UX and QA. That might be NHTSA and its equivalents, Hertz, or these forums right now. [Elon Musk, are you listening?]
I hope you are correct. However, it seems that it is the direction they are taking the UI that may be the issue. Their answer to everything is automation despite their own lesson from factory floor automation.
The UI design is geared toward FSD, although it is crappy as an entertainment console UI as well. It looks like their UI team is very amateurish and with Elon’s focus on expanding that may not change anytime soon - unless there is pressure from NHTSA or equivalent.

Reactions: Transformer
Not a troll. Owned Model 3 since late 2018. Driven 70k miles plus. V10 made things harder to use, V11 makes things even harder. When you're actually driving the vehicle, even on TACC/AS, there are a bunch of functions which take too much time off the screen. Fonts even smaller. Scroll bar for songs? My 15 year old was like "it's HOW big"? Nice try Tesla, but you made it harder to use...which is not what you want when actually driving.

Not everyone wants FSD. It's ok to make a specific UI just for FSD cars.

The contrast issues on the dark map were improved in 2021.44.30 (or at least they were improved for me, and the other people who have posted about it).

I had 44.30 and it was still not right. I reset the car and the dark map colors are now better! My wife wasn’t overly impressed and I can understand.. it’s still subtle levels of gray but at least they aren’t invisible levels now. Thanks!

Reactions: Automobilist
V11 is not good. My absolute biggest complaint is burying fan speed and changing it to a slider. I rarely change temperature (SoCal) and only adjust fan throughout the day. I was already pretty bummed coming from an S and an X to find out that I couldn't control fan speed with the right scroll wheel on the 3.

I think a great compromise would be to give us scroll wheel options.

So you wonder, but don't want anyone to respond. Seems like you want a validation of your thoughts.

One is very free to join here or any other automotive site. People that do as you suggest tend to get found out quick. They also tend to have a few posts and they are probably snickering away in their own little world. For that I would say that there seems to be more than FUD people out there. I mean the ones I know myself included have rolled with the changes. Yet this time it is different.
I like some of the new features of v11, however, simple actions (e.g. adjusting seat heaters, turning defroster) have become multiple tap, eyes off the road actions. In cold climates (not California) where these actions take place multiple times per drive is inexcusable! Don't get me started on finding a supercharger along your navigation route. They completely removed that functionality. Would be nice if we could add this back in via a setting, but no. Would be nice if we could treat seat heaters as an 'app' and add it to the lower dock, but no. This is a one step forward, two (or more) steps back.

I like some of the new features of v11

This is a one step forward, two (or more) steps back.

I haven't seen anything that improved with v11. Sonic the Hedgehog? Light show? Turn signal cameras are a joke. "Customizing your buttons" was a major fail. We already had all of the buttons we needed. Now we have many less, and not the important ones.

All v10 needed was good manual wiper controls. We didn't get that though. Instead we got a major regression. Many good and important things are gone or hidden.

Nothing has improved, everything is worse.