Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would like economy mode for my mdl 3-my thoughts/config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bolt does 0-60 in 7 seconds but it lacks the range that most Tesla owners, most EV owners, want. If Bolt had a 250 range option and AWD it'd be a contender. Tesla 3 at 218 has the same problem. As Musk noted, he expects most users to upgrade to the 250 range and pay $42K.
No, that's not what he said.

He said he expects the 3 will average around $42K with options people select. He never said a thing about it being 250 range, at $42K. He never said a thing about the longer range 3 being 250 miles. It is widely expected the longer range 3 will have a 300 mile range.

No, that's not what he said.

He said he expects the 3 will average around $42K with options people select. He never said a thing about it being 250 range, at $42K. He never said a thing about the longer range 3 being 250 miles. It is widely expected the longer range 3 will have a 300 mile range.
And @EaglesPDX hooks someone else into correcting his incessant mis-characterizations!

Well, I leave my 2010 Prius in ECO mode all the time. AFAIK, it does a couple of things. (1) It remaps the accelerator pedal so with less than full travel you can control the power more precisely, and (2) it recognizes that you are more interested in economy, so it allows the engine to cut off in more light load conditions. When you need full power, you don't have to switch off Eco, you just floor the accelerator because it's still all there, it's just at the far side of the pedal travel range.

The 3 is intended for a slightly different audience than the Roadster, S & X were aimed at. It very well may have some mode that allows for this but with a less obvious name. Perhaps it will be "Impulse" power mode instead of "Warp" power mode.

I use ECO to hypermile the Prius, not because I can't afford the gas, but because I have an easy commute {read: boring} and trying to maximize my fuel economy is simply an entertaining {to me} challenge. After getting used to all of the bells and whistles on the 3, it will still be the same old commute. I can see myself doing the same thing, trying to see how good a score {lowest WH per mile} I can get.

Reactions: SureValla
Well, I leave my 2010 Prius in ECO mode all the time. AFAIK, it does a couple of things. (1) It remaps the accelerator pedal so with less than full travel you can control the power more precisely, and (2) it recognizes that you are more interested in economy, so it allows the engine to cut off in more light load conditions. When you need full power, you don't have to switch off Eco, you just floor the accelerator because it's still all there, it's just at the far side of the pedal travel range.

The 3 is intended for a slightly different audience than the Roadster, S & X were aimed at. It very well may have some mode that allows for this but with a less obvious name. Perhaps it will be "Impulse" power mode instead of "Warp" power mode.
Even when engaged in LUDICROUS mode, the Tesla Model ☰ will still be roughly twice as energy efficient as a Prius. There is no need for a separate 'eco' mode because the car is already long range, and is already superior to other options. Its 'eco' capability is also 'always on'. The accelerator map for Tesla Motors products already offers the most precise control available. Here's opinions from owners from an earlier discussion:

Do you enjoy going slow in your Model S? | Tesla Motors

"I like the ability to go ultra slow in parking lots." -- Captain_Zap

"I enjoy the fine control when going slow, as well as the fine control when going fast." -- jbunn

"I'm coming up on 2 years now and enjoy the S at any speed." -- KevinR

"The only similarity to the XJ-S which my Model S replaced is the same joy of a nice, low speed drive. The difference is that it's better." -- johncrab
That joy of precise control is only enhanced further by using Autopilot in traffic on long commutes.

I use ECO to hypermile the Prius, not because I can't afford the gas, but because I have an easy commute {read: boring} and trying to maximize my fuel economy is simply an entertaining {to me} challenge. After getting used to all of the bells and whistles on the 3, it will still be the same old commute. I can see myself doing the same thing, trying to see how good a score {lowest WH per mile} I can get.
For those using INSANE or LUDICROUS mode, you must literally 'rear back and kick the ever-lovin' [SNOT]' out of the GO Pedal to get the best acceleration results. The car does not simply shoot to 60+ MPH with the slightest touch of the accelerator.

The economy is built in. What do you think you're looking at dollar wise for daily charging?

All this concern over extracting every last ampere and saving every penny is somewhat amusing.

People are screwing on Pizza Pie Pans to the wheels of their $100K car to save 25 cents in daily electricity.

I don't get it.

The economy is built in. You don't need to fill the tank every week, or do oil changes, or get emissions inspections, or replace mufflers, spark plugs, fan belts, etc.
For some of us, eco isn't just economy, it's ecology. I want a long-distance BEV, not a performance car. It just happens that the Model 3 will is the only planned affordable long-distance BEV so far so if I do end up buying one I'll end up with a car with acceleration and handling that I'd not pay for otherwise.

Simply having an accelerator mapping that emphasizes precise control at lower power allows for greater efficiency through optimizing acceleration.

And personally I'd like smaller wheels and wheel covers if both helped.

Last edited:
Bolt does 0-60 in 7 seconds but it lacks the range that most Tesla owners, most EV owners, want. If Bolt had a 250 range option and AWD it'd be a contender. Tesla 3 at 218 has the same problem. As Musk noted, he expects most users to upgrade to the 250 range and pay $42K.

You're forgetting the most important thing about the Bolt re: its desirability.

It's fugly.

• Funny
Reactions: Genshi
Um, you are aware that there are people in other countries in this forum, aren't you?

I'm with the OP. Except I'd get the cold weather package since it goes down to -35,-40 here.

May I be the first to invite you to Portland, OR, where those types of temperatures are accurately called what they really are. Batsh*t-crazy-cold. Based on your towel status and the state of your inquisition, you should fit right in...

Reactions: Red Sage
May I be the first to invite you to Portland, OR, where those types of temperatures are accurately called what they really are. Batsh*t-crazy-cold. Based on your towel status and the state of your inquisition, you should fit right in...
I have a cousin who lives there.
1919.png

Questionable Content: New comics every Monday through Friday

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and Genshi
Actually, I too would advice the OP to simply feather control the accelerator and that would be the most optimal solution and in many ways better than a Model 3 hypermiler configuration. And that is coming from the owner of a Toyota hybrid. With a standard sub 6 sec non performance M3, you are more likely to be able to max on range during daily commute real-world driving rather than a one off hypermiler ride. Talk to Nissan Leaf owners and they will tell you how difficult it is to get the advertised range during daily commute even in summer which means beyond a certain point, designing for lower performance doesn't always help range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage

I need to get out there again, had a blast when I was there a few years ago for the release of my latest(at the time) Atari 2600 game at PRGE.

Just realized I'm in this video - I'm wearing the hat and standing under the Seaweed Assault banner.

Reactions: Genshi and Red Sage
I'm not a current EV owner, I've got a Corolla. I'm not rolling through stop signs or anything but I do try to maximize my fuel economy whenever I can. I use cruise control often, if I know the lights going to turn red I'll start coasting as far out as I can, I don't accelerate too fast or brake too hard (if I can help it). My question is how many of those things transfer to EVs? I know the coasting will for the regen braking, but what about the others? Are there completely different things you can do?

Reactions: Genshi
I'm not a current EV owner, I've got a Corolla. I'm not rolling through stop signs or anything but I do try to maximize my fuel economy whenever I can. I use cruise control often, if I know the lights going to turn red I'll start coasting as far out as I can, I don't accelerate too fast or brake too hard (if I can help it). My question is how many of those things transfer to EVs? I know the coasting will for the regen braking, but what about the others? Are there completely different things you can do?

Your questions are good ones @dsvick. The core answer is that whether you drive aggressively or in hyper-mile mode, your energy efficiency per mile will be dramatically better in an EV than your Corolla (or any other car that gets a significant fraction of it's energy from burning fossil fuels). As an order of magnitude approximation, the Roadster is a roughly 120 mgpe car (older EPA test applied when Roadster was released). That's a little under 250 wh/mile. When I drive my Roadster really aggressively (non-winter conditions), I might be able to push that down to 90 mpge. And if I drive really light footedly and more importantly, consistently (no micro accelerations and decelerations - cruise control is good for that), then I can readily hit the EPA rating, and a bit more if I'm willing to drive 40 instead of 55 (mostly not :D).

(Read about mpge here - it's intended to provide a means of directly comparing efficiency between vehicles using different power sources)

Coasting is different in a Roadster or Model S, and there is arguably a few basis points of improved efficiency available by using actual coasting over regenerative braking. It's manually available in the roadster (shift from D to N, then back to D to reenable regen or go back to supplying power - I never hassle with it). Over 200 miles of driving, the level of significance of the activity is unlikely to rise up to even a single saved kwh.

The order of magnitude different between coasting in a gas engine car without regen, and coasting in an electric car with regen, makes the activity important for efficiency in one, and a colossal use of mental energy with little actual saved energy in the other. It's just different.

Maximizing you efficiency in an EV really does simplify down to these major choices:
- gentle acceleration over hard acceleration. The difference in improved efficiency is much less dramatic in the EV over the gas car, but it's present and noticeable.
- set cruise control to 55 on the highway
- let regen bring you all the way down to 10 mph. 5 mph for extra points. Surprisingly easy to learn to do as well - took me less than 2 weeks to get it mostly right all the time.
- And if you do need to brake, let the regen do as much as it can (more energy regenned at higher speeds than lower speeds), then use the brakes for the last 10/20/30mph reduction.
- If you wanna get crazy about it, draft a truck on the highway - it's air resistance from 55 or so up as your primary energy consumer, so drafting will help.

Peak efficiency in the EV is around 20 mph, and best tradeoff between time and distance is around 40 mph. Rated ranges are based on 55 mph driving, and efficiency falls off fast above that. But "fast" is still different from a gas car. Somewhere in the 80 or 90 mph range, you didn't get the engine tuned for peak efficiency around 65 (gas car), and now everybody's efficiency is suffering badly from air resistance. Now you're driving a car with 1.5 gallons of gas equivalent (Roadster, Model S is closer to 2.5) and range is really suffering :)

(Lovely side effect - I get my rated range in stop and go driving where I'm just following the traffic around me; it's higher speed highway driving where I stop getting rated range).

This is all a function of the motors in the two kinds of cars. They behave differently, with different power curves and different efficiency curves. The electric motor is so highly efficient to start with (80-90% instead of 20-30%, order of magnitude), there isn't as much room to play with getting things just right.

The best part of the whole deal with the EV, is that you can get the same efficiency out of the car whether it's in Performance or Eco mode. It doesn't change the conversion of energy into motion, as it does with a gas engine. It doesn't turn off one or more cylinders in the engine, or other crazy optimizations like that. So you can drive in an efficiency minded manner most or all of the time, and STILL have sudden zip available if you want or need it.

Um, you are aware that there are people in other countries in this forum, aren't you?

I'm with the OP. Except I'd get the cold weather package since it goes down to -35,-40 here.

As for the Bolt CmdrThor suggested, I'd take it if it had a fast charging network at all, comparable in speed to Tesla's. It must be noted that the nearest Tesla Supercharger is out of the range of any Tesla on the market at the moment from here. The nearest CCS charger is even farther away.
That was a bit of hyperbole, but it's not unreasonable to think that Tesla will be gearing up for countries outside of North America by the time they get to east coast base models. Especially for fully loaded left hand drive Model 3s.

you have an economy mode already - its called your right foot :)
Honestly, just don't press as hard.
Steady accelleration, lots of slowing down with regen instead of brakes and drive in a relaxed way gets you all you need.
All so called "eco" modes do is deaden the pedal to stop you from eating power.
I get better range without ECO now without using it, just by chilling out.
If you want more proof, look up the various videos on folks getting the last record of 452 miles - without eco mode.

and what I want is different slopes at different speeds. Not just a curve but elbow bends/corners in the curve(s)

Give me sporty at 0-20 mph
give me normal at 20-50 mph
give me eco at 50+ mph

I want the gas pedal to naturally help me get away from a stop sign or red light without the person behind me to feel bothered.

I want to be able to go up the on ramp with just a slight adjustment to the pedal.

I want to be able to find neutralish glide at any steady state speed.

I want the top end to not be twitchy just because the first part of the pedal had a mean curve.

I don't want a 0-60 optimized pedal curve, I want a daily driver optimized curve.

And then the two days a year I actually want more I can go in and change it from eco mode to sport mode. (I won't be paying for insane or ludicrous modes)

I also want my ECO mode to have a much wider dead band of neutral between acceleration and regen. I want more chance to glide with 0 power going either way.

Oh and then there is Cruise Control accuracy, I want loose cruise control that can lose speed going uphill to save power usage on hills. Say -2 mph max

So we'd have

Eco - Complex pedal curve, wide dead band of no regen, 2 mph CC range
Normal - simple pedal curve, medium dead band of no regen, 1 mph CC range
Sport - steeper pedal curve, narrow dead band of no regen, 1 mph CC range
Insane - steeper pedal curve, higher power limit, narrow dead band, 1 mph CC range
Ludicrous - steeper pedal curve, max power limit, narrow dead band, 1 mph CC range

Last edited:
you have an economy mode already - its called your right foot :)
Honestly, just don't press as hard.
Steady accelleration, lots of slowing down with regen instead of brakes and drive in a relaxed way gets you all you need.
All so called "eco" modes do is deaden the pedal to stop you from eating power.
I get better range without ECO now without using it, just by chilling out.
If you want more proof, look up the various videos on folks getting the last record of 452 miles - without eco mode.
Exactly. You have an Economy Mode on your current ICE car that folks can practice with also. You can vary the mode by how strong you press the pedal.
Lets all practice........

Nahhhhh.... This is Ludicrous......... I can't wait.