Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would start paying for my M3 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon, if you're listening, please allow us to start making payments on our Model 3's. I do not want to have to buy stock to make sure that our shared dream that is the sustainable future which Tesla promises can succeed. I would much rather enter into my loan for the Model 3 and start paying it down, the sooner the better. I would so very much love to do that from the bottom of my green heart to the top of my green head to the fat of my green wallet.

Elon, if you're listening, please allow us to start making payments on our Model 3's. I do not want to have to buy stock to make sure that our shared dream that is the sustainable future which Tesla promises can succeed. I would much rather enter into my loan for the Model 3 and start paying it down, the sooner the better. I would so very much love to do that from the bottom of my green heart to the top of my green head to the fat of my green wallet.
Why can't you just pretend you have the loan already and start making "payments" to a savings account of some sort? When your Model 3 is ready, you'll have enough for a nice down payment.

Edit: @JeffK beat me to it!

Go to your local bank or credit union, open a separate savings account, and set up an automatic transfer of $605.69 ($35,000 financed at 1.49% for 60 months; the rate I have on my Model X, but a year shorter loan) per month. The beauty of doing is this you're paying yourself the (granted, small amount of) interest, instead of the bank. In 18 months you'll have just over $10k saved up, and you can either use that as a downpayment and lower your real loan payments, or use it to get a few options.

Thanks, all, for the über consistent advice @BluestarE3, @JeffK, @Odebek (my dad is very cool but alas he's not Elon)!

In fact, I did just that after reserving my M3. I opened a savings account and starting plunking in $980 monthly-- a little more than @ccutrer recommends doing as I know I'm going to be suckered (nay, seduced) into splurging on some bells & whistles.

My point is, I would rather NOT earn interest--I would rather pay into Tesla so they can build the Gigafactory/ramp-up production for the Model 3 without needing another capital raise. I'm not sure whether there would be a critical mass of reservation holders willing (or stupid enough) to do so, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

If tesla offers incentives for people to start paying for the car now then I would see a chance of people willing to start paying now. For example, free upgrades or a discount of x dollars of final price of the car.

If not, I think much of the target audience of the model 3 would rather make money through methods mentioned above or buy tesla stock instead of starting to pay the car now instead of later.

If you were able to do this, what would happen if you changed your mind or passed away in the meantime; or if Tesla files for bankruptcy?

I'll tell you what, send me your money and I'll guarantee a return of 1% on your fund. You will earn more money from me than from your bank/credit union or CD for the next 18 months.

@Jason Bourne, I will will my deposit to my next of kin. @Warrentt, Ally Bank savings offers 1%, make a better offer. @CyberKnife, me gusta how you think--I would 100% buy into that--my problem is buying tesla stock is idiotic next to starting to actually pay for the car that I want - it's quite possibly the most volatile and overvalued stock on the entire market. Not saying I don't think it's going to be $1000/share in the next few years (I really truly do), but nobody knows when that spike is going to come.

My point is, I would rather NOT earn interest--I would rather pay into Tesla so they can build the Gigafactory/ramp-up production for the Model 3 without needing another capital raise.

I have brilliant idea! Why not make a new model 3 reservation every month? that way Tesla can use your capital, and you can pull it out and use the money for the downpayment on your Model 3 in a couple years!

Trying to get earlier delivery? :)

So Tesla makes a point of producing the safest cars. To then store money for it in a bank, doesn't make sense, they are where money is created and destroyed :)
Just buy gold and silver, the real stuff you can hide where no-one will think to look. It survives any stock and currency crash with ample purchase power left. Especially nice to stock up on when the price is below miningg cost, which it is.

Thanks, all, for the über consistent advice @BluestarE3, @JeffK, @Odebek (my dad is very cool but alas he's not Elon)!

In fact, I did just that after reserving my M3. I opened a savings account and starting plunking in $980 monthly-- a little more than @ccutrer recommends doing as I know I'm going to be suckered (nay, seduced) into splurging on some bells & whistles.

My point is, I would rather NOT earn interest--I would rather pay into Tesla so they can build the Gigafactory/ramp-up production for the Model 3 without needing another capital raise. I'm not sure whether there would be a critical mass of reservation holders willing (or stupid enough) to do so, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Things have to make economic sense. Elon wouldn't have done this. Why not buy stock if you want to help the company?

Unless the company is issuing stocks, buying stocks doesn't "help the company" you are actually just helping a different investor, or a stock broker, etc. Buying products will actually help the company.
The more that buy stocks the higher the stock price gets, and the easier/cheaper it will be for Tesla to get hold of more money by financing/loaning or issue more stocks (at a higher price).

So while your right in the sense that the money you invest does not go directly into Tesla, it may help them if enough people does that so the stock price is influenced.