Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Comparison Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shock-On-T

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
It would be interesting to have an Easter egg that allowed ones Tesla to simulate any ICE car.

You could choose for example “Toyota / Corolla” and the car could use known performance curves for power, torque, gear ratios etc to simulate exactly the feel of driving that ICE car.
It would even be possible to map the sound of that ICE cars engine to the speaker to complete the illusion.

Because almost every part of the performance curves for most ICE cars is a subset of the Tesla you’d be able to simulate almost any car.

Aside from being a fun party trick it could also be used to punish family members or spouses. Don’t do the dishes? That’s a week with your P100D set to “Kia Rio”.

It would be interesting to have an Easter egg that allowed ones Tesla to simulate any ICE car.

You could choose for example “Toyota / Corolla” and the car could use known performance curves for power, torque, gear ratios etc to simulate exactly the feel of driving that ICE car.
It would even be possible to map the sound of that ICE cars engine to the speaker to complete the illusion.

Because almost every part of the performance curves for most ICE cars is a subset of the Tesla you’d be able to simulate almost any car.

Aside from being a fun party trick it could also be used to punish family members or spouses. Don’t do the dishes? That’s a week with your P100D set to “Kia Rio”.

Love the idea. Imagine that on P100D demo cars so test drivers could toggle back and forth between the Tesla and the other cars they are cross shopping. It might sell a few more cars right then and there.

For free everyone wants every option, the ones worth while are the ones people are willing to pay for. How much would you be willing to pay for such an option? How about $2,000 new or $2,500 post delivery? How many takers do you think Tesla would get for it?

For free everyone wants every option, the ones worth while are the ones people are willing to pay for. How much would you be willing to pay for such an option? How about $2,000 new or $2,500 post delivery? How many takers do you think Tesla would get for it?
I wouldn't care for it on my car really; just like I wouldn't care to be able to simulate other Tesla variants like I've read demo cars can do. But since a P100D is superior to most of its ICE competition, I think it could be an interesting sales tool to have a few competitive vehicles mapped into demos that would allow test drivers to feel the different driving dynamics. I'm not going down the rabbit hole of actually attempting to cost out such an idea to see if it pencils - any more than I would attempt to cost out the Model X Christmas Easter Egg or something.

Reactions: benjiejr
I wouldn't care for it on my car really; just like I wouldn't care to be able to simulate other Tesla variants like I've read demo cars can do. But since a P100D is superior to most of its ICE competition, I think it could be an interesting sales tool to have a few competitive vehicles mapped into demos that would allow test drivers to feel the different driving dynamics. I'm not going down the rabbit hole of actually attempting to cost out such an idea to see if it pencils - any more than I would attempt to cost out the Model X Christmas Easter Egg or something.
Not sure how useful of a sales tool it would be, not to mention any legal liability for claiming "this is how a BMW M3 drives" - bmw can claim that they are being misrepresented, etc, etc.

Not sure how useful of a sales tool it would be, not to mention any legal liability for claiming "this is how a BMW M3 drives" - bmw can claim that they are being misrepresented, etc, etc.

Right... so instead of calling the mode "BMW M3", you call it "European Sports Sedan" mode.... and then have an "American Muscle Car" mode, and "Average Family Sedan" Mode, and so on.

It's doable, but pretty complex to get truly right - you need to fold the transmission shift map for throttle settings into the model, and you have to scale the torque output to the weight of the car.

Of course, any of the hyper-realistic racing video games has already done that modeling, so if one of them could be persuaded to provide maps (and sound effects...) then all you'd need is the scaling function.

How are they going to simulate the vibration of the engine? I still think the Tesla in Corolla mode would feel much better than the actual Corolla because of the smoothness of the drive train.

Valid point.

Out of sequence phasing in the motor poles from the drive inverters, making the rotors shudder and shake?

But that would presumably accelerate wear on the rotor bearings...

Brilliant idea for use as a marketing tool. It would mark a strong contrast between the technologies when doing a test drive.

How are they going to simulate the vibration of the engine? I still think the Tesla in Corolla mode would feel much better than the actual Corolla because of the smoothness of the drive train.

Maybe subtly vibrate the steering wheel like lane departure warning does?