Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're a two car family. I have no intention of EVER buying an ICE car for myself. If my daily commute can be done with an overnight charge, then I have no reason to get an ICE vehicle. There's no advantage to ICE cars other than the range. OTOH, I will probably have my other car an ICE vehicle as long as I need to take long trips. In the future, I'm hoping destinations like hotels will have facilities for charging.

I will probably have my other car an ICE vehicle as long as I need to take long trips. In the future, I'm hoping destinations like hotels will have facilities for charging.
Have you tried long(er) trips ?I find them them to be just as easy in a Tesla as an ICE but more pleasant because the Superchargers are typically in nicer places than petrol stations.

Reactions: FlyinLow
it's really dependent on the situation I'm in.

Right now I'm a one EV, and one ICE person.

My EV is the Model 3, and my ICE is a 4x4 Camper Van. This isn't counting the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I'm trying to work through my attachment to it in order to sell it.

Obviously I'd love a 4x4 camper van with 500 miles of range, and the ability to power the house stuff (Stove, Fridge, etc) from the big battery. But, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

In some ways it's kind of a weird time.

Where I have one foot in the future (the Model 3), and one foot in the past (the campervan) because I don't know where things will go. Things could go south fast, and the camper van is nice for that. Or things could go well and the 3 fits nicely.

I will say it's really tough going on trips because I have endless debates about which vehicle to take. One is cheap per mile, and one is cheap per night.

I'm going to Santa Cruz in Nov and I have two entirely different itineraries depending on which vehicle I take. Last time I went a few years ago I took my Model S, and the trip was really enjoyable minus the stressful points where people almost hit my car at busy scenic stops.

Last edited:
I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse (ICE) and M3D. I'm family-gifting my ICE to the next generation, but still have to drive it every few weeks to keep it charged (ironically). I drove it a couple maintenance miles the other day, and wow... it felt so barbaric! HAHA I hadn't been in an ICE car for about a month. The roar of the engine seemed so low-tech.

Depending on future innovations I may not stay with Electric cars, but I'm certainly never going back to old ICE tech.

I haven't been to ICE cars for 5 years if you count Chevy Volt as as non ICE.

Precisely 2 years for full EV.

The Only time I went back to ICE was loaner my SC gave for couple days. They gave me brand new Mercedes C300. The car is nice for its price, but I couldn't stand the slow acceleration. My constant thought was "when do I get my Model X back?"

Gas price high, and it annoys to check the gas tank.
Oil change is annoying and sometimes waiting for oil change can take half a day if there are so many cars ahead of you.
Long line at Costco gas station is time killer.

I would resist going back to driving ICE at all cost.