Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused, why are you waiting for an invitation? Go and order now; your $1k preorder down payment will be applied to your purchase. I don't think they're actually sending out invites anymore...

If you tell me how I can order now - being in Europe like I wrote, Germany in particular - I will gladly do so.
Unfortunately Tesla still lets US and Canadian customers jump the queue, even though people like me in the "Old World", who reserved more than two and a half years ago, are waiting ever more impatiently. As a matter of fact, if the e-Golf I ordered in the meantime, because I got too impatient after more than two years, turns out to be enough BEV for my needs, I might cancel my Model 3 reservation after all and wait for a different BEV to replace our second ICE at a later date. After all, the Model 3 was supposed to replace my BMW. Now that honor goes to the e-Golf. Thank you Tesla!

I have gone from a "definitely Tesla" customer, to a "probably Tesla" customer, to "probably not at all" customer, simply because Tesla can't get their act together and keep alienating non-American potential customers. Way to go to keep the company afloat, once the competition grows. And that is already starting, with the next two years seeing loads of new BEVs from established automakers, who don't need to constantly apologize for producation delays and manufacturing/quality problems!
Like I said before, the e-Golf is way ahead in terms of build quality and refinement versus Model S or X. Only range and performance are better on those. Obviously can't compare Model 3 yet. And with the Ionity charging network being built out, even the advantages of Tesla's Supercharger network gradually diminishes over here.

Last edited:
When I placed the order for the car I was expecting it to be good, but not OMG F'in AMAZEBALLS good. Tesla employees, horrible online systems and general mismanagement drive me insane, but the car is a dream. I'm not even really that much of an Eco-warrior, I just like fast cars. This one's in a different league than anything I've driven before. I had to take my previous car- G35x for a short trip yesterday and it felt like a loud, overbearing, slow tricycle.

I bought a BMW roughly a month and a half after the Tesla. Tesla makes 3 models. They can't fulfill every need/want in the market. For the time being, with such limited choices in electric, ICE is very much a necessity.

Most people don't need the 300+ range of the LR model. I do.

I got the BMW because an ICE is still more convenient for long road trips. There aren't enough charging stations saturating the world where you don't have to worry about where you can go because of lack of charging options. Plus, on a trip, not everyone wants to spend hours waiting for a car to charge. That should be rectified in the future, but it'll be years before that happens. I don't see it in the lifetime of the my Model 3. So, in the meantime, I need an ICE as well. Just visiting the in laws in a place supposedly as tech oriented and progressive as SF is stressful due to lack of charging options.

Plus, on a trip, not everyone wants to spend hours waiting for a car to charge.
My wife and I are pretty much incapable of sitting for hours on end in a car, nor would I even if my back was not complaining. It is healthy to get out, stretch, walk around a little, and empty bladders. Perhaps eat something. The car is ready when we are ready to continue.

Last edited:
I decided I'd never go back after the first week with my Leaf. The Model 3 is just icing on that decision. 7+ years now of no gas/maintenance for me.

I will say that I think ICE vehicles will have special use roles for a long time to come. You can't take an electric SUV out into the bush where there is no electricity at all for days at a time. Hauling extra gasoline is easy, but hauling extra electricity is not. Also, no one has a practical electric airliner and I don't expect anyone will for a long time (at least that can travel a high subsonic speeds.) Until batteries can be made ultra light and super high capacity some things will not be possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
I decided I'd never go back after the first week with my Leaf. The Model 3 is just icing on that decision. 7+ year now of no gas for me.

I will say that I think ICE vehicles will have special use roles for a long time to come.
Kudos !
We still have our LEAF but followed the same progression.
As for airplanes -- there is so much low hanging fruit available in the transition to sustainable transport, I'm not concerned for now about the corner cases.

I bought a BMW roughly a month and a half after the Tesla. Tesla makes 3 models. They can't fulfill every need/want in the market. For the time being, with such limited choices in electric, ICE is very much a necessity.

Most people don't need the 300+ range of the LR model. I do.

I got the BMW because an ICE is still more convenient for long road trips. There aren't enough charging stations saturating the world where you don't have to worry about where you can go because of lack of charging options. Plus, on a trip, not everyone wants to spend hours waiting for a car to charge. That should be rectified in the future, but it'll be years before that happens. I don't see it in the lifetime of the my Model 3. So, in the meantime, I need an ICE as well. Just visiting the in laws in a place supposedly as tech oriented and progressive as SF is stressful due to lack of charging options.

Really? I live in NorCal, too. Driving electric is a decision. I decided to go electric drive back in 2000. Yeah, lack of chargers, blah, blah. A whopping 110 mile range back then, too, but I decided I didn't need to pollute any more with my car. So, I didn't. I followed Tesla's progress, and was one of the first public to own an S.

Most times we know where we'll be going and where chargers are, and charging takes about a half hour or less, depending on how far we plan to go. Way better resources than back six years ago. "On a trip", you say. You been on one? You don't spend hours to recharge. Just like now, the car charges full overnight, and then maybe while you eat a late lunch. You learn to enjoy the drive and the breaks, and you find you don't have to make the whole trip in one day. May be a new concept, but it's definitely doable these days.

And progress happens pretty quickly. I didn't think things would go this fast, as there were no chargers when I got my first S. Look where we are now! I would not dare venture a guess what may progress during the lifespan of my 3!

Until Full Auto self driving is active where I can sleep in LA traffic and be woken up by the car soft voice saying “Sir you are home”. As for now, I will be driving both ICE and Electric. Still love my third pedal the “clutch”

I've noticed a lot of 'disagrees' when someone expresses a preference for ICE cars, or says they might need an ICE car in the future.

That's not really the correct use of the 'disagree' action.

In a poll asking "Do you like ICE or EV?", if someone says "ICE" you can't disagree with their preference. That's like saying that you disagree that they prefer ICE.

You might not share their opinion, but you can't deny that it is their opinion.