Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Iceing' is finally being tackled !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: CMc1 and Chalks99
Fixed that for you :)

Seriously though, that's good news.

Glasgow and (I believe) Edinburgh are already doing a similar thing.
I actually think making some parking spaces in car parks dedicated EV parking would be a really great idea. Not only would it discourage EV drivers from using the chargers if they don't really need to just to get a space but it would be a cheap way to encourage people to switch to EV's if they constantly saw available parking that they could not use in otherwise full car parks. Start at 5% in all carparks including works ones and increase it every year just ahead of EV adoption.

Like everything it only matters if it's enforced, and that the perception nationwide is that it is both illegal and being enforced. This requires education and consistent application, not just random signs with different rules.

Everyone knows that you'll get done if you park on double yellows, but most people will treat EV parking bays as no different from parking in Parent & Child bays, etc.

People still drive in motorway lanes with red X's above, even though there was a campaign of teaching people that it was now criminalised, etc. I fear there is a long way to go on widespread respect for EV parking bays.

Reactions: Keeper and zayn
Like everything it only matters if it's enforced, and that the perception nationwide is that it is both illegal and being enforced. This requires education and consistent application, not just random signs with different rules.

Everyone knows that you'll get done if you park on double yellows, but most people will treat EV parking bays as no different from parking in Parent & Child bays, etc.

People still drive in motorway lanes with red X's above, even though there was a campaign of teaching people that it was now criminalised, etc. I fear there is a long way to go on widespread respect for EV parking bays.
Hopefully, if the Vultures (sorry, Traffic Enforcement Officers) are remunerated on the amount of tickets they place (which i'm told IS what happens) then it may prove to be effective.

Reactions: Keeper
Leicester just need some rapid chargers first before they can start issuing tickets! (After our local lockdown of course :rolleyes: )

Great to see councils taking action regards ev chargers, but i wish they also issued tickets to people who park in disabled bays that are not disabled and lazy that park in them to go watch a football match! which is meant for the home owner who is.

the irony in this is that they used a photo of "Cllr Andy-Mackiewicz, cabinet member for climate change, planning and housing, at an electric car charging point" which is a pair of CYC points that became useless even before BP/chargemaster bought them out and also disabled any RFID cards for people that weren't paying a monthly fee. There was still a pair (possibly the ones in the photo) in church hill car park in solihull when I checked earlier in the year, so they've been sat there, almost completely useless to 99% of people with two empty parking spaces .... for the last 5 years ....

So, Question - I parked my M3P in an EV charging bay at a supermarket yesterday - But DIDN'T put it on charge. Is this legal or not?

(I get that it's morally probably wrong if busy, but there were maybe 70% carpark capacity and 0/6 EV bays taken when I arrived... so morally justified it to myself).

So, Question - I parked my M3P in an EV charging bay at a supermarket yesterday - But DIDN'T put it on charge. Is this legal or not?

(I get that it's morally probably wrong if busy, but there were maybe 70% carpark capacity and 0/6 EV bays taken when I arrived... so morally justified it to myself).
Interesting point, legal... probably yes, morally correct.... not in my book... but it is only an opinion :)

As long as you just do this in Nottingham, I don't think many here will complain.

I've done it before. I wonder whether it would be worse to have a car connected but not charging, or not connected at all, if another EV driver pitched up.

One of the easier ways to tackle the problem of people parking in the charging bays who don't need to charge is for them to be located at the opposite side of the car park from the shop / whatever - that way most people are only going to park there and walk the extra distance if they need to charge - although unfortunately since they need power, I think we're going to continue to see them close to the entrances...

Reactions: Godsense

Don't be surprised to find someone parked across the front of you who is on charge because they needed to charge.

Its no different to filling up in a petrol station then leaving your car there to do a 15 minute shop when you go and pay. The queue wasn't there when I filled up isn't a valid excuse.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
My local train station car park started clamping anyone who was parked in the EV bays and not plugged in - people soon stopped parking there.

It also charges fees if you're connected and not charging which is rather annoying if you miss-judge how long its going to take to charge.