Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Add approach direction to GPS HomeLink auto open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how to get Tesla's attention on this one. I think it'd be a pretty simple change.

My community has separate entry and exit gates. I'd like for auto open to only trigger when my car is facing inwards so it doesn't trigger when I'm leaving the community.

Reactions: Gizmotoy
You mean, currently, both entry and exit gates open when you either arrive or depart? How would S know which way you are facing? By the use of the front camera? Does your auto-open also open and close your home garage as well as the community gates?

Sounds complicated to me.

You mean, currently, both entry and exit gates open when you either arrive or depart? How would S know which way you are facing? By the use of the front camera? Does your auto-open also open and close your home garage as well as the community gates?

Sounds complicated to me.

Gated communities only require a button press on entry, exit is automatic when you get close to the gate, and the simplest method would be to use the compass, not need to mess with object recognition.

Gated communities only require a button press on entry, exit is automatic when you get close to the gate, and the simplest method would be to use the compass, not need to mess with object recognition.

Yeah, that why I was suggested using the arrival angle. Simply record the angle the car is facing (using the compass) when setting the GPS HomeLink. Only initiate auto-open if the car is facing the same direction again (maybe within 45 degrees?)

This would also solve the problem some others have encountered with the garage door opening when they happen to drive by their house. The auto-open would only initiate when they turn into their driveway/parking area.

Technically, 'arrival angle' implies arrival attitude, meaning sloping up or down. This is confusing for many of us, especially those who fly.

What you mean is 'approach direction', meaning degree on the compass.

(And no, I don't know WTH 'that guy' means, and it doesn't matter)

I never thought about the issue of driving by the house and having the garage open, as I live on a cul de sac. That would be super annoying and I can see how that could make it pretty much unusable if one drives by their house a lot when running about town. I like the idea of approach angle.