TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Idiot trying to unplug my car during Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Corsair, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Corsair

Corsair Member

Pulled into my local mall where there's 12 SC for a pair of dress shoes yesterday evening. Backed into 5A at 58%, found out my friend was in 5B (recognized his license plates) . 4B was empty (but I didn't want to piss 4A Tesla off) . Later received phone notification that charging was interrupted at 65%, but resumed itself after 30 seconds. Figured may have been a brownout since the almost all SCs were occupied.

I didn't think any of it until this morning when I looked at my BlackVue footage, and this is what I found. This guy had no reason to be near my car much less trying to unplug it.

Curious or just plain malicious ? I failed the fathom the lack of decency in some people ... seriously ...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. luckyj

luckyj Member

Perhaps he actually thought that was his car! I've seen Teslas next to each other at superchagers that looked nearly identical.

• Like x 13
  3. Corsair

Corsair Member

It was a Model X beside me which belong to my friend's. Mine was the only Silver S in the lot

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Perhaps he didn't want to try and step over the cable or walk around the pedestal and pulled a velvet rope maneuver? Grasping at straws here.

• Funny x 3
  5. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Weird. Any tesla owner would know you can't unplug a Tesla supercharging.

He also isn't looking all around making sure no one is watching him.

I really don't know what he was doing.

• Like x 1
  6. Corsair

Corsair Member

Exactly, which makes me think he isn't a Tesla owner because you would wait for your car to unlock before trying to remove the plug. Front cam shows his family walking past the front of my car. He had a good view of the SC lot from the path leading to it knowing there's no one else watching, hence didn't bother to shoulder check.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

There is no valid reason... period. You don't touch what isn't yours...

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  8. Corsair

Corsair Member

....... Chargus Interruptus......

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  9. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

If you are in the stall that was second to show up at a paired Supercharger, and you want to charge faster, you can interrupt the other persons charge so that you now get the primary charge rate. I've seen this happen to others in another thread. Pretty shitty attitude.

• Informative x 12
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

That's what I thought he was doing too.

11. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

The guy seems wasted drunk, can't even stand straight. What time was it (video says 17:48?) and is it near some bar scene?

• Like x 1
  12. skitown

skitown Member

Interesting - I don't see it that way. I think he's walking on/up and then off/down the parking curb behind the car and that makes him look a little off balance. He's moving too fast and then pivots too gracefully around the corner of the car to my eyes to be intoxicated. Maybe I'm easily impressed.

• Helpful x 1
  13. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

Class warfare.
    Robin

14. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

This is a common misconception. Had you plugged into 4B you would have pulled what 4A wasn’t using, up to the limit of what your battery could handle. As his charge tapers, yours would increase. It wouldn’t have affected 4A at all.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 5
  15. daktari

daktari Member

Clicking the release button on a charge cable in a locked car will interupt charging but also light the status light, right? So you can see how full/empty the car is?

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I think the first car will drop to 90kW if they happen to be pulling more than 90kW, and the 2nd car gets the scraps.
    Might be wrong about that, can't remember where I read it.

• Like x 2
  17. chispas

chispas Member

Not sure but it seems to me like an honest mistake, of course that doesn’t make sense with what you mentioned about yours being the only silver S in the Supercharger ...

• Disagree x 1
  18. whitex

whitex Active Member

Or maybe he wanted to take a picture "filling up" a Tesla. You said the family was with him, maybe someone snapped a photo so he can show off his dream car. You never know, not enough information to go on.

19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

By the way, the Blackvue 750 looks pretty good. Might have to get one.

20. cpsss

cpsss Member

More like a random grasp, "seems like this one is not plugged in, let me help him"

or "see? you can't unplugged a locked car"

If I ever have some evil thoughts, I wouldn't do it before my family..

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1