Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I get a flat tire in UK what’s my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought this:

Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

Out of stock now but should come back in stock soon hopefully, it’s handy as I can keep my tyre pressure at the right level without going to a garage or petrol station, and if I get a flat, I can use the sealant to get to the closest garage.
I also bought and carry this kit. However I didn’t look at the details so separately bought a cordless Air compressor which I also carry! Used the compressor once when the tyre pressure lowered as we moved into winter...

I’ve read this a few times, but also conflicting opinions. I’m no expert, I’ve never used this kit and I don’t actually know if it will work or not, but I’d give it a go on my 20” M3P tyre if it was flat and I was likely to be waiting hours for some reason, unable to get help. My (limited) understanding is that the foam in this kit expands inside the tyre, and replaces the air inside the tyre with foam.

I have not heard of any tyre foam that works in the way you describe i.e. filling with foam that goes solid? If you have some that does then it looks like it might work with acoustic tyres. The only sealants I know about work by leeching into the puncture and sealing it ... it would appear from other reports that this may not work with acoustic foam tyres.

A puncture can often be repaired (for beer money last one we had done), but my understanding is that with sealant, its game over so a new tyre and TPMS. So with no spare, I think a compressor alone would cover many of these bases allowing the car to limp on. The number of times that sealant would help is very limited plus it has a finite lifespan.

For those that are not covered, then AA etc... I tried Tesla service re a tyre problem and they were useless - iirc we are closed, try when service is open and by the way, they don't hold stock. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as first thought so sorted it next morning at an indy for 'bacon roll money'

H ,

A puncture and no spare is one of my worries so I:
Joined Greenflag (with nationwide recovery)
Bought a plug kit
Bought a multipurpose rechargeable "thing" from Halfords for £75 mainly for the air compressor but can also jump start the 12v if the battery ever fails (also has torch, USB, 12v, 240v outlets) and fits in the frunk of an MS D.
Have a set of spare wheels for swapping summer/winter so can always use one of these as a spare if near home.

I reckoned that the overall cost was minimal compared to the cost of the car and the potential inconvenience of a puncture on the way to the airport.

Its a shame that the TPMS does not pick up tyre pressures before car has moved some distance. My other car reports pressure status without moving, so I would know that I have a problem before moving off, but the Tesla system would not notify of an issue until I had driven a short distance away when a quick tyre swap would become a major inconvenience.

I'm still on a lookout for a reliable air compressor that would work with the reduced rating of the Model 3 12v system.
I went for a cordless one:
RTC6000
TBH I did not know that the 12v was limited. my logic was I would be topping up more often since it matters more on the M3 and also the higher pressure might leak more quickly. Cables are a PITA so this would make it quicker and easier to do. Its OTT really since it its a dual compressor that can also do airbeds. Cheaper smaller ones are available .
As it turns out the tyres are holding pressure very nicely. I have topped up 16 tyres in total so far across 2 cars and not had to charge it yet. can be charged from house or car.

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob and MrBadger
TBH I did not know that the 12v was limited.

eur manual said:
The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak).

Any issues using that from 12v or do you use the internal battery? It is a bit unclear if 12A continuous/16A peak from car will support 'Max Amperage 15A' needed for the compressor. Hopefully 15A is just a startup current, then it settles to <12A continuous. Sods law will be that when its needed to be used in anger, the internal battery will be flat.

Any issues using that from 12v or do you use the internal battery? It is a bit unclear if 12A continuous/16A peak from car will support 'Max Amperage 15A' needed for the compressor. Hopefully 15A is just a startup current, then it settles to <12A continuous. Sods law will be that when its needed to be used in anger, the internal battery will be flat.
It is designed to be used direct from 12v as a backup but since the battery has not gone flat I have not tried. I was not even aware that it might be an issue. Now I know that I kinda feel less inclined to try it rather than more. Obviously it will have no issue charging the battery from 12v since that will be a trickle and if the tyre is down a couple of PSI and its flat you can just charge it and do it later but I guess if you have a flat and a plug kit it would be good to know it works from 12V since it would be a shame to plug it then be unable to re-inflate ( though it should do a whole tyre from the battery).
If it does draw too much current what happens? does it blow a fuse? I could give it a go so long as I know the consequences are not too severe?

For everyday driving, I'm carrying a tire plug kit, and a foam sealant-inflator can.
For roadside support, it's available both by Tesla and from my insurance company.

Neither of my seasonal tires are foam-lined.
No compact spare, as it would limit my speed equally to a limp drive on the under-inflated tire.
No 12v inflator, as it seems all the ones on the market are shoddy crap.
And if I should suffer actual wheel damage on the drive...well thats just bad luck

I’ve read this a few times, but also conflicting opinions. I’m no expert, I’ve never used this kit and I don’t actually know if it will work or not, but I’d give it a go on my 20” M3P tyre if it was flat and I was likely to be waiting hours for some reason, unable to get help. My (limited) understanding is that the foam in this kit expands inside the tyre, and replaces the air inside the tyre with foam. I appreciate people are saying the foam can’t reach the hole as it may be under the thin layer of inbuilt foam manufactured into these tyres, but I don’t see clearly why that should really matter... forgive me if I’m missing something obvious, but in my head, if the air in the tyre is replaced by expanding foam, why should it matter if there is a tiny hole in the tyre still? Surely not much air will leak out since it’s mostly been replaced with the foam that hardens up anyway? Isn’t that the whole point of the kit - to replace the air with expanding foam as a quick temporary fix so the tyre can be driven on for up to around 180 miles, full of expanding foam, no?

Also - why would Tesla sell something like this on their website for the model 3, and not say - ‘N.B. This wont work on a model 3 Performance with 20” Pilot Sport 4s tyres’ at the bottom? I know they can be incompetent at times, but it seems unlikely they wouldn’t mention something along these lines.

thoughts?

The sealant is not foam filling the tire. The sealant is a viscous liquid that coats the inside of the tire.

Show one example of the sealant working on an acoustic foam lined tire.

The foam lining is not thin, it's about an 3/4-1 inch thick.

I know in an emergency nobody cares if it ruins the tire or TPMS, but the sealant will ruin the acoustic tire. Unless you rip out the foam.

A plug kit is so much easier, immediate and works with foam tires and will not ruin the tire.

Some states require the "Tire Repair Kit", but Tesla didn't have to prove it works ;)

It is designed to be used direct from 12v as a backup but since the battery has not gone flat I have not tried. I was not even aware that it might be an issue. Now I know that I kinda feel less inclined to try it rather than more. Obviously it will have no issue charging the battery from 12v since that will be a trickle and if the tyre is down a couple of PSI and its flat you can just charge it and do it later but I guess if you have a flat and a plug kit it would be good to know it works from 12V since it would be a shame to plug it then be unable to re-inflate ( though it should do a whole tyre from the battery).
If it does draw too much current what happens? does it blow a fuse? I could give it a go so long as I know the consequences are not too severe?
It will blow a fuse that resets its self after a period of time. I had the Ring RTC1000, this caused the fuse to trip when inflating a few psi with the light on. Exchanged for the RTC500 and no further issues.

How permanent are these plug kits - I've had tyres permanently fixed at indy tyre shops and had assumed that they had been vulcanised. After fitting the plug, do you then need to get a permanent repair?

Tire shops will tell you they need a patch. Every tire (half a dozen) I ever plugged lasted the life of the tire. Most tires I’ve fixed were very small holes. Like a nail or a screw. I often thin the plug down rather than ream it larger. With the plug they often ream out a large hole which I think does more harm than good. On a larger hole I’d patch it. But if it’s that large I’d replace the tire.

It’s your call.

Reactions: M3noob
How hard is it to mushroom plug a tyre on the car without a jack? Is there enough access around the tyre to do this both front or rear if the puncture is in the tread? I'd rather not have to lug a jack around if I don't need one.

If I do need a jack to get the tyre off, what's the best compact jack to carry on a road trip?

I went for a cordless one:
RTC6000
TBH I did not know that the 12v was limited. my logic was I would be topping up more often since it matters more on the M3 and also the higher pressure might leak more quickly. Cables are a PITA so this would make it quicker and easier to do. Its OTT really since it its a dual compressor that can also do airbeds. Cheaper smaller ones are available .
As it turns out the tyres are holding pressure very nicely. I have topped up 16 tyres in total so far across 2 cars and not had to charge it yet. can be charged from house or car.

how mNy months has it been size you last charged? I’m very tempted with one of these. Do you also find it measures the pressure accurately?

How hard is it to mushroom plug a tyre on the car without a jack? Is there enough access around the tyre to do this both front or rear if the puncture is in the tread? I'd rather not have to lug a jack around if I don't need one.

If I do need a jack to get the tyre off, what's the best compact jack to carry on a road trip?
I plugged this one on the rear of a model 3 last week. No jack, and no need to remove the wheel.
20219762-DB4F-40B0-9FB3-0D823A77C13C.jpeg