Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner & a Flat Tyre!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this problem as recently as last Saturday. Completely flat, no5 a slow punctured2hich you can often inflate and drive for a while before topping up the pressure.

I carry a cheap (£8j tyre plugging kit. I’ve tried various ones over the years, and personally found the most successful is when you have the reaming tool, fresh strips and the glue which also helps fabricate the insertion of the strip. Plugged the tyre in 10 mins. But it could also be luck on the type of damage. I’ll junk this kit now and buy another, the glue tends to go off once opened.

I had this problem as recently as last Saturday. Completely flat, no5 a slow punctured2hich you can often inflate and drive for a while before topping up the pressure.

I carry a cheap (£8j tyre plugging kit. I’ve tried various ones over the years, and personally found the most successful is when you have the reaming tool, fresh strips and the glue which also helps fabricate the insertion of the strip. Plugged the tyre in 10 mins. But it could also be luck on the type of damage. I’ll junk this kit now and buy another, the glue tends to go off once opened.

I have a kit that is years old and I now worry that the rubber pieces and glue might not be up to the job any more ... I've never had to use it because my punctures have either resulted in instant tyre death or are slow punctures that can be kept topped up until repaired. Which brand kit have you found is good? (because I reckon I should change mine)

I have a kit that is years old and I now worry that the rubber pieces and glue might not be up to the job any more ... I've never had to use it because my punctures have either resulted in instant tyre death or are slow punctures that can be kept topped up until repaired. Which brand kit have you found is good? (because I reckon I should change mine)
This one looks very similar to the one I used, the handles fail with enough use reading the reviews (seems a common problem( with most of them) but it you see it as a consumable, and at £6.40 it probably is, then I think its ok. I'll be buying one of these in the next week or so to replace the bits.. If you;ve got a good set of "handles" already, its probably a cheap way to buy the sticks and glue.

I'd had the kit a few years, its just once you break the seal on the rubber glue I think you can start the clock on what life its got left.

If you;ve got a good set of "handles" already, its probably a cheap way to buy the sticks and glue.

Your Amazon link has popped up (for me at least) with an "also buy this" for the glue alone

Although, as you say "consumable", so at £4.19 might be worth splashing out on a new complete kit at £6-quid

Does 3 punctures which, as you say, will not happen if it has gorn-off in the meantime.

Your Amazon link has popped up (for me at least) with an "also buy this" for the glue alone

Although, as you say "consumable", so at £4.19 might be worth splashing out on a new complete kit at £6-quid

Does 3 punctures which, as you say, will not happen if it has gorn-off in the meantime.
Your link again comes up with the glue, can any one of you get the Amazon link please? Much appreciated.

That used to be the case, but some brands now wash out of the tyre without causing any damage. I carry 2 cans of Holts Tyreweld in my frunk, just in case...
Me to. Puncture foam (Holts) does no preclude the tyre from a permanent repair though some of the big name tyre fitters may try to sell you a new tyre. ( I will not be quick to fit any firm up with this accusation just in case they have changed their policy). :)

The "Modern Spare" for Teslas in very good but expensive for us due to shipping from the USA and import duty cost.

OP : Check out Ben Vallack's Youtube video on Tyre repair with Holts Foam.

This is the kit i used successfully on 3 rear punctures i picked up in both the rear tyres, it is possible to do it with the wheel on but much easier with it removed as it takes a lot of effort to push the rope through.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boulder-To...ords=tyre+plugging+kit&qid=1682837119&sr=8-23

One of the puntures was in a non repairable location so decided to have both rear tyres replaced rather than run around with plugs in them, went with GoodYear Asymmetric 3 because they were a good price, A rated for efficiency and not Hankook Ventus EV tyres as i think they are prone to punctures. Just over 4k on the GoodYears which was about the same as the Hankooks and no punctures yet, nowhere near as many stone cuts as the Hankooks had in them, (kept one of the removed tyres for comparison) i know it could be luck but they don't pick up as many stones in the tread and are not so squidgy soft as the Hankooks are.
Not sure what the next set of tyres i fit will be but won't' be ones with sound reducing foam in them or Hankooks that's for sure.

This is the kit i used successfully on 3 rear punctures i picked up in both the rear tyres, it is possible to do it with the wheel on but much easier with it removed as it takes a lot of effort to push the rope through.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boulder-To...ords=tyre+plugging+kit&qid=1682837119&sr=8-23

One of the puntures was in a non repairable location so decided to have both rear tyres replaced rather than run around with plugs in them, went with GoodYear Asymmetric 3 because they were a good price, A rated for efficiency and not Hankook Ventus EV tyres as i think they are prone to punctures. Just over 4k on the GoodYears which was about the same as the Hankooks and no punctures yet, nowhere near as many stone cuts as the Hankooks had in them, (kept one of the removed tyres for comparison) i know it could be luck but they don't pick up as many stones in the tread and are not so squidgy soft as the Hankooks are.
Not sure what the next set of tyres i fit will be but won't' be ones with sound reducing foam in them or Hankooks that's for sure.
The link won't open for me but I think I know what you mean. I have had these repairs carried out twice, once in France where they are routine, and once in UK at a small two man shop.
Both repairs were for slow rather than catastrophic punctures on an SUV during road trips and both lasted for the remaining life of the tyre.

It may have been imprudent not to have had a full, tyre off internal repair on arriving home.

I now rely on "foam for home" to be followed up with an internal patch the fitting of which will not be affected by the Holts Tire Weld foam or the acoustic lining though the latter makes it a fiddly job.
I imported a " Modern Spare" designed for Teslas, from the US but I rarely carry it - I know🙄

Reactions: WannabeOwner