Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner & a Flat Tyre!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Performance - 72 plate

Hi all,

Unfortunately at the weekend I was caught short with a flat tyre, with only a tyre inflator on board, I was up shitts creek without a paddle.... the tyre has a cut in the interior wall and would not inflate... (I know yes no repair kit or foam inflator) eventually I got air inside the tyre and got home.

My question is what do you guys recommend repairing options / space savers etc....

I have googled a few options re foam tyre inflator's but not sure if that's the best way to go.

And can only find one place on the internet that does a space saver wheel for the M3P see below....

Any help or views on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mat

While a foam inflater can get you home (or reasonably to the nearest tyre shop), it makes your tyre completely irreparable.
So if it's a puncture that could be properly fixed for a fiver, it's better not to use that and call Tesla assistance instead to get towed and fix it. Will save you 200 quid on a replacement.
Sadly not many other options than carrying a puncture kit if you have the basic skills to fix it yourself on the side of the road and you're not on the other side of the country.

In your case of a slashed sidewall, I guess you'll have to replace the tyre anyway so could have used the foam...

Reactions: boombap
Note the following
Tyre sealant useless on foam lined acoustic tyres But goop brand can be used in other tyre types and washed out if necessary.
Tesla won't bring out a spare tyre if more than 50 miles from service centre or ooh. I have backup with RAC
After my 4th puncture I drive with tyre pressure displayed rather than wait for notification.

Reactions: matcosby
Compressor in the frunk for a slow puncture, AA membership if it's anything worse than that (I believe reasonably efficient at getting you a tyre now - common breakdown since spares became uncommon). Gloop as a Hail Mary, not great with foam.

Road Heros - expensive and compromises the boot more than I'm willing to accept. Plus side, would make sure you never ever get a puncture :)

I know nothing about them, but have read of many (Americans mostly) who use Tyre Repair Plugs. They make it sound trivially simple to stuff a plug into the hole, reinflat e, and carry on ...

No help if when you've ripped the sidewall out of course ...
it is easy, i've done it and carry a tyre plugger kit with me, no glue needed either

it is easy, i've done it and carry a tyre plugger kit with me, no glue needed either
I've done it too and it was really hard work and took over 2 hours even when I was on my own driveway on a nice sunny day. Goodness knows what I would have done on a dark road in the rain and two kids in the back seat. With a tyre plugger kit, it depends a huge amount on what is embedded in the tyre and how accessible it is.

Unless you also carry a jack and are prepared to take the wheel off...

Thanks for the Holts Tyreweld recommendation. Two cans on order👍

I've done it too and it was really hard work and took over 2 hours even when I was on my own driveway on a nice sunny day. Goodness knows what I would have done on a dark road in the rain and two kids in the back seat. With a tyre plugger kit, it depends a huge amount on what is embedded in the tyre and how accessible it is.

Unless you also carry a jack and are prepared to take the wheel off...

Thanks for the Holts Tyreweld recommendation. Two cans on order👍
I carry a jack, make the job easy for yourself

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I carry 2 cans of Holts Tyreweld in my frunk, just in case.
Thanks for this hint! I carry an electric pump and a tire repair kit with plugs, but it seems that Holts Tyreweld is a much easier, quicker, smaller, lighter and simpler-to-use solution, if it really works. Any experiences with it?

In their FAQ they say, "Yes, using Tyreweld to repair and reinflate your tyre will not affect the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)." I wonder how that works. Wouldn't the stuff clog the sensors?

Before I realised gloop wouldn't work on foam lined tyres I was using it successfully on all sorts of my farm tack. It also states no effect on toms which anyway are sealed units. However local cheap efficient village garage that only charged me a tenner for each of several punctures on my S basically told me that they hate washing out tyres to the point where it'd be cheaper to buy a new one than expect them to do it☹️
I've got tractors, mowers, chippers and gennies and quad bike all glooped. One can even use the stuff as s preventative....

I'm in Germany, but the questions are the same.

I have read up on Holts Tyreweld to find out what others experience. What I found was:

Half the people say, it works. They have used it successfully.

However, the other half say, it didn't work for them. The glue spilled out of the tyre, out of the valve, out of the button of the bottle. I suspect though that people may not always have used it properly. They may have used it on bigger holes in the tyre, on tyres that came off the rim, etc. I tend to disount most of these negative reviews. Obviously Tyreweld works only on slow punctures, i.e. small holes, and not on torn tyre side walls.

People also complain that the workshops refuse to clean the tyres afterwards for repair and re-use. Instead they want to sell a new tyre. The workshops say that the stuff cannot be removed. This appears to be a real problem. Even if the glue can actually be removed, that doesn't help us when the workshop refuses. Perhaps you have to drive to a workshop immediately, before the glue dries up too much. Some say that it is actually easy to clean out.

I found contradictory information on whether the pressure sensors keep working or fail after Tyreweld application. This is an aspect of the cleaning problem. The open question is, how can Tyreweld be removed from the tyre and particularly from the pressure sensor?

I also could not find out which pressure can be achieved from a Tyreweld bottle. I guess for the relatively big Tesla tyres you want to buy the bigger bottle, i.e. 500 ml. The achievable pressure may be sufficient though to limp to the nearest gas station and pump up there. Then on to a tyre workshop for proper repair. I have a 12 V pump in the car anyway, because for a very slow puncture just pumping from time to time may suffice.

Here's an interesting quote from Feb 2008, Google Group:
I once had a hell of a job getting a tyre fixed after using Holts
TyreWeld (no spare wheel on my car so no option). Four places wouldn't
touch the tyre quoting "It's knackered once you use that stuff" or
some made-up EU Health & Safety legislation - basically they all
wanted to sell me a new tyre. So then I took it to an independent tyre
shop - quick wipe out with some paper towel, puncture fixed for £10 -
job's a good 'un. Afterwards I e-mailed Holts and the reply was -

1) TyreWeld does absolutely NO damage to a tyre and does not impede
the ability for a puncture to be fixed.
2) Holts have an agreement with National Tyres - they will attempt to
fix any puncture after TyreWeld has been used but may charge a "small"
extra fee for the cleaning of the wheel and tyre.
I, for one, will probably get a bottle. It's better than nothing, sometimes better than having the car towed.

Model 3 Performance - 72 plate

Hi all,

Unfortunately at the weekend I was caught short with a flat tyre, with only a tyre inflator on board, I was up shitts creek without a paddle.... the tyre has a cut in the interior wall and would not inflate... (I know yes no repair kit or foam inflator) eventually I got air inside the tyre and got home.

My question is what do you guys recommend repairing options / space savers etc....

I have googled a few options re foam tyre inflator's but not sure if that's the best way to go.

And can only find one place on the internet that does a space saver wheel for the M3P see below....

Any help or views on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mat
There is a thread available with lots of information.

What I found helpful:
Few more things I found helpful:
- Anything less than 50miles ask them to move the vehicle home - trust me learnt my lessons. But other logistics need to be sorted out including work arrangement, WFH, second car etc.,
- Kwikfit mobile service fixed mine the next day - fortunately all their vehicles now come with pucks (according to the kwikfit man and they are aware of the torque setting etc., - the man was familiar with Tesla and he even asked me to switch off the tilt alarm etc.,). However, this may not be available in rural parts of the country and overnights etc., So spare tire is a good option.
- I got the Michelin PS the next day, but I understand I may not be lucky next time.
- Yes, having AA, RAC is helpful but sometime basic membership may not be that helpful - if you have the option to move the car to the garage you wanted etc., it will be very useful if you are more than 50miles away from home - availability of tires is a real issue, so a spare tyre is very handy.
- Flat tyre is a pain even in ICE cars if you are averse to some manual labour like me!

Reactions: hgmichna and init6