Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I get a flat tire in UK what’s my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit disappointed with Tesla's flat service... happier that I have AA and AA continental coverage.

I had a flat, noticed in my garage. Pumped it up. It held well enough for a 100 mile trip with a few top ups. Flat again today so I called for the tyre/wheel swap service. None available. But at least the anwer came within 15 minutes. I was discouraged from thinking it might be better on any day in the near future :-(

I mentioned that I intended to drive through France to Spain when normalish life resumes and was told the availability of tyre/wheel swap was even worse in those precincts.

Space saver spare is on the shopping list.

Stupid question but I take it that Tesla don't supply a jack with their cars? So if you want to do a diy tyre plug you would need to carry your own jack and plug kit and some way to inflate? I have a small 5 ton bottle jack - would that suffice? Where is the best place to source the jack pads that are recommended so that you don't damage the car underbody? Thanks

Stupid question but I take it that Tesla don't supply a jack with their cars? So if you want to do a diy tyre plug you would need to carry your own jack and plug kit and some way to inflate? I have a small 5 ton bottle jack - would that suffice? Where is the best place to source the jack pads that are recommended so that you don't damage the car underbody? Thanks
The cars are heavy so normal jacks are taking a bit of a risk.so I'd suggest leaving the tyres on. For home use it is worth getting a trolly jack.

But and about. the fronts are generally easy, put some lock on the steering and drive slowly until the offending item is showing Rears are more tricky and having laid on the floor fixing a tyre its not something you'd want to do too often, but it is possible - just about. You just need to drive until you have access to the puncture. If you go with the type of kit with the attachment to bore a bigger hole into the tyre before plugging (like this one https://amzn.to/2XIcW33) its not so bad, the dynaplug ones however are quite difficult to get in if the puncture is really small - but then you would probably wait until you got home if it was so small as the puncture would be pretty slow.

Reactions: M3noob
Stupid question: I have a small 5 ton bottle jack - would that suffice? Where is the best place to source the jack pads that are recommended so that you don't damage the car underbody? Thanks

Nope, not stupid. George is right. I have a plug kit from Amazon (admired by the AA engineer who then used his own). A bottle jack would never work: The cars are low and, with a flat, even lower! And M3s are heavy, too heavy for a run-of-the-mill scissors jack!

The AA guy inflated the tyre and then used a big wedge (like a piece of cheese) that I backed the car onto so there was room to get the "lift puck" or "jack pad" and the floor jack under the car. There is no way you can get any suitable jacking device under the rear of the car without one of those wedges and an inflated tyre.

I bought a pair of wedges on Amazon today. One will just about fit in the lower boot, I think. Prayerful :)

Lots of places to source jack pads. Some fancy, some cheap and plain. Torque Alliance is a good vendor - really fast delivery.

Attachments

• blueramps.jpg
    blueramps.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I just bought a Road Hero space saver spare from a local supplier. £30 cheaper than Amazon and it's to be delivered tomorrow.

The jack is rated at 2 tons and that should be sufficient for one corner of a two ton car :)

Attachments

• roadherosetm3.jpg
    roadherosetm3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 80
A bottle jack would never work: The cars are low and, with a flat, even lower! And M3s are heavy, too heavy for a run-of-the-mill scissors jack!
Good point I was forgetting about the clearance issue. I only mentioned the bottle jack as I happen to have one. Why then wouldn't a conventional car jack work - just like the one you have purchased with the space saver wheel kit - assuming it can cope with the load? I have a MS btw but I don't think it really matters whether we are talking about an S or 3.

"There is no way you can get any suitable jacking device under the rear of the car without one of those wedges and an inflated tyre."

Is that really correct?

Yes, but you will probably find that the scissor jack is not compatible with the jacking points/pucks without some modification, ie a custom saddle.

It remains to be seen. I will post the results of my investigation. My puck material is hard plastic. From my lutherie workshop I have a selection of Forstner bits. I can take an angle grinder to the jack saddle if required. Not worried. More concerned about being stranded in the wilds of France or Spain with walking the only alternative :)

Last edited:
Lobbed a can of tyre-spunk in the frunk and have AA coverage. That's about as complicated as it gets for me.

According to others of this parish, the spunk don't work because of the foam liner in the M3 tyres. You will wind up buying a new tyre because the spunk makes it difficult/impossible to repair. I am clueless why Tesla offers a flat fixer with the goo unless it's for other models lacking the foam liner...

AA is the key given the absence of loaner tyres allegedly available from Tesla Roadside.

I can confirm the the blue "cheese wedge" for lifting the M3 for jack clearance fits nicely within the lower boot.

The colour complements the blue of the Type 2 charge cable :)

The RoadHero "space saver" (ha) spare arrived. The two ton scissors jack included will meet with my angle grinder soon for a custom fit to my lift pucks.

Excelsior!
IMAG1571.jpg

I can confirm the the blue "cheese wedge" for lifting the M3 for jack clearance fits nicely within the lower boot.

The RoadHero "space saver" (ha) spare arrived. The two ton scissors jack included will meet with my angle grinder soon for a custom fit to my lift pucks.

Excelsior!View attachment 541640

How much was the spare tyre and blue wedge please?

So my lease M3P has full tyre cover/breakdown included. If I buy sealer, am I pretty much OK? Any punctures just get a replaced tyre anyway, so I’m not overly bothered about sealant ruining the tyre as the included cover replaces it.

Excelsior!View attachment 541640

I am still a little unclear on why/how this blue wedge works/is needed? You mentioned the AA chap inflated the tyre before you rolled the car back onto the wedge and then the car could be jacked. Presumably it was inflated while the tyre was still punctured? If so, I assume that this must have been a "slowish" puncture to allow the inflation at all? If it inflated why wasnt it possible to get the jack situated without the intermediate step of using the wedge? Just trying to understand before I finalise my own emergency puncture kit for my MS. Thanks.

To those of you relying on AA/RAC, have you ever had to call them out for a puncture and was the lack of a spare or repair kit discussed?

I get RAC cover with my bank account, but there is an explicit clause that says cover is not provided ‘If the breakdown is as a result of a tyre fault and a spare wheel or the manufacturer’s repair equipment is not being carried.‘.