Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I get a flat tire in UK what’s my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a nightmare day trying to source a tyre for my M3 LRAWD. It's a lease car so have to go through ATS and replace with Michelin PS4. They explained that OEM supply is prioritised over aftermarket hence they cannot source - they're on back-order at Michelin.
Local Tesla dealer was helpful, but could only get a tyre from another dealer for next day. Since I'm 40 miles from the dealer with a flat, that still doesn't help much. Having to get a rental car from the lease company to cover me until Tesla can forward the tyre to a local tyre shop!

There's always plenty of those in all the scrapyards😂
Seriously, does anyone know of a (readily available common) alternative make / model of car wheel that would fit or is the Tesla stud pattern not used on other vehicles

Reactions: m3p_uk
I believe the Nissan Qashqai has the correct hub bore and stud spacing, but the offset is 5mm less. This may not be an issue but obviously you need to check. The Tekna style in 19" look quite nice. There are always some on Ebay.

Ugh....the Qashqai was one of the worst cars I ever test drove....don't know if I could bare to put one of its wheels on my baby :eek:

They save a lot of space insomuch that they are considerably narrower than a standard wheel and tyre, typically half the width
Still just as wide though unfortunately so too big to take on a road trip where save is limited.
Anyone manage to find one where the tyre is deflated and then "pops out" when inflated to save more space?

I’ve used this type (mushroom plugs - as shown above) twice now. Very effective, and can be installed without taking the wheel off the car, but only just.

On both occasions the rear tyres picked up the punctures, and on both occasions the hardest part was getting the offending penetrant out of the tyre. The first was a wood screw, which refused to budge with pliers so I borrowed a screwdriver to unscrew it. The second puncture was a piece of metal that I think used to be a clip for holding on a wheel balancing weight (oh the irony). That took twenty minutes to remove with a pair of pliers, mainly due to the very restricted amount of space in which to work when the wheel is still on the car.

Once the items are removed plugging the holes takes seconds. They hold air reasonably well too.

The only downside to these plugs is that they will only accommodate a certain size of hole. The alternative kits with part cured rubber strings can be used to plug up enormous holes and tears to get you out of a bind that the mushrooms cannot.

If you’ve fitted mudguards, beware. With a flat tyre on 20”rims the amount of room to work in is tiny. On 18”s the car will be sat an inch lower down on a flat tyre, so keep a tool in the car to remove the mud flap as well.

Or carry a "cheese wedge" ramp to pull up on. It's saved my bacon. Demonstrated to me by AA tech. Available on Amazon.