Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think mine just kicked the bucket. Was tinkering with the stereo in the garage. It refused to play from any source so I rebooted it and the screen stayed black. Same symptoms as everyone else. I already had a service appointment for next Friday, so maybe they can bump that up. Not sure if MCU2 is worth even the $1750 to me, but I'll inquire anyway.

So mine died a month ago.
I had 2 weeks left in the 4 year warranty, but I was at 60k miles, so they said it was not covered.
Advisor quoted me the roughly $1500 for a remanufactured MCU1, or $2500 for MCU2 (which loses the radio).
I told him (nicely) that this was unacceptable since it's a manufacturing defect, and that they are even being investigated for it.
After this he said they could also try replacing the MCU1 Tegra daughterboard. This would be around $350 ($120 for the daughterboard, the rest labor) - but he wasn't sure how long it would be to get.
Since I don't need the car these days I told him I could wait.
1.5-2 weeks later the daughterboard came in ... but the repair didn't work.
Another advisor called me back and said it didn't work, so back to the original $1500-$2500 options.
I called the first advisor back, and he told me he had already ordered a remanufactured MCU1 (at their expense), and that they would swap the "frame" of that into my vehicle.
Took 1.5-2 weeks for the new part to arrive.

So in the end (after almost a month), I have the car back with a 64 GB remanufactured MCU1 at a total cost of $350.

Find a service advisor who is willing to go to bat for you!

So in the end (after almost a month), I have the car back with a 64 GB remanufactured MCU1 at a total cost of $350.

Find a service advisor who is willing to go to bat for you!
Yep good feedback. The more Tesla gets pushed this the more they’ll have to concede. You could argue that mileage has more relevance to, say, suspension, while time has more relevance to computers

Got my car back yesterday after being outta commission for nearly a month. They replaced the tegra daughterboard as I was still just inside the warranty, it was all covered at no charge.

Really the service has gone way downhill since I first got the car back in 2017. But I'm just glad to have the car back!
Agree with the service being terrible. Did they at least give you a loan car?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Agree with the service being terrible. Did they at least give you a loan car?
Not at all. I've never gotten a loaner from the service centers. Only uber credits. This time they didnt even give me any uber credits for the 2 weeks they had the car. I even had to beg them to give me the uber voucher so i could get over to the SC to pick up the car itself since I had no way to get there.

When i first bought the car the service was awesome. They were on point. Even in the middle of my work day they were able to get me a ride from the office to the SC and they kept me updated throughout the day. Now you can count yourself lucky if you can even get a real person to talk to. Everything is all automated through the apps now. Can't even call the SC to talk to someone.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Your stance assumes that no other parts of the MCU fail that can't be repaired. This isn't the case and, like all electronics, eventually it costs more to keep old tech going than it's worth at which point newer tech replaces said older tech. Eventually, over time, this is what we will see happening as we can probably assume Tesla isn't had hasn't made any new MCU1's in a number of years since shifting all new production to a single unit saves cost.

As I stated previously, I don't see that we're at this point yet but we will eventually be at the point where MCU1 replacements are upgraded to MCU2 (refurbs where possible) units out of necessity. The start of this will be random MCU1 failures being replaced with MCU2 units at Tesla's discretion which we've already seen. The frequency of this will ramp up as fewer and fewer MCU1 refurbs are available until finally they're wiped out and every replacement is done with MCU2 units.
Arguably they could just do MCU2 hardware and software lock it to MCU1 capability. No more having to keep extra outdated hardware on hand!

Not at all. I've never gotten a loaner from the service centers. Only uber credits. This time they didnt even give me any uber credits for the 2 weeks they had the car. I even had to beg them to give me the uber voucher so i could get over to the SC to pick up the car itself since I had no way to get there.

When i first bought the car the service was awesome. They were on point. Even in the middle of my work day they were able to get me a ride from the office to the SC and they kept me updated throughout the day. Now you can count yourself lucky if you can even get a real person to talk to. Everything is all automated through the apps now. Can't even call the SC to talk to someone.
I wouldn’t have accepted that for a minute. You bought a car, not a bus pass.

You know that buying a car doesn’t somehow automatically entitle you to the use of another one if it breaks, right?
If I was buying a $12,000 Dodge, sure.

Admit it or don’t but Tesla is a premium brand and just about anyone you ask will affirm that. Premium brands inherently have loaners for longer or more intensive repairs because that’s a standard that’s known to be expected.

You may exercise the option to not partake or instead take some grubby Uber but the rest of us with higher standards will defend our privilege to have a replacement vehicle provided to us.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
If I was buying a $12,000 Dodge, sure.

Admit it or don’t but Tesla is a premium brand and just about anyone you ask will affirm that. Premium brands inherently have loaners for longer or more intensive repairs because that’s a standard that’s known to be expected.

You may exercise the option to not partake or instead take some grubby Uber but the rest of us with higher standards will defend our privilege to have a replacement vehicle provided to us.
Good luck exercising that “privilege” ;)

I’m sure if you just insist on being privileged a little more, Tesla will quickly capitulate to your “higher standards”.

lol

Good luck exercising that “privilege” ;)

I’m sure if you just insist on being privileged a little more, Tesla will quickly capitulate to your “higher standards”.

lol
Like I said: You’re more than welcome to accept subpar service at their leisure but local attitudes can and do influence how service centers treat their clients in regards of respecting their time and intelligence.

What color is the sky in your magic world of entitlement?

You should hook up with @ElectricIAC and see if it’s the same hue as their “privilege”.
If you’re wondering where your spine has been since the age of 12, it has been waiting at the local lost & found. The person who handed it in said it was fairly flimsy but workable