Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't WANT it to happen, but I do see them eventually dropping support for older hardware.
Maybe my view of the future is too pessimistic.

Drop support for older hardware meaning "we will no longer be providing feature updates or enhancements to your legacy system"? sure.

Drop support for older hardware meaning "existing features you paid for will cease to function unless you give us $2500"? Not a chance.

Possible exception to this would be where a third party could be blamed - for example ATT shutting down their 3G network, Google shutting down their maps service, etc. But I see no plausible scenario where they do something like this without having someone else to blame for it.

Someone asked him for a copy of his invoice and a screen shot of the advanced info screen to prove his claims and, to the best of my knowledge, he has yet to produce. Could be made up since it's unverified but this all happened recently enough that I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until more time passes w/o either of those two pieces of proof.

It is probably just confusion since Tesla uses different terminology. They refer to the various versions of MCU1 as: MCU1, MCU1.5, and MCU2. I don't know what they refer to what we call MCU2 as, other than "MCU INTEL".

Possible exception to this would be where a third party could be blamed - for example ATT shutting down their 3G network, Google shutting down their maps service, etc. But I see no plausible scenario where they do something like this without having someone else to blame for it.
This is the case in countries outside America - telecommunications companies who Tesla contract with are planning to drop their 3G service

I was going to post a new thread "Thoughts on MCU1 Replacement" but figured I'd just put this here.

TMC posts about failing MCU1 memories had me wondering how much longer my 2015 Model S 85D had before succumbing to the problem. The flat screen stayed blank three weeks ago no matter how many attempted reboots, so I got my answer. I'm lucky to live two miles from a SC, so I simply drove right there instead of reporting via technological means. No appointment, but they took it in right away and eventually got it re-started. I don't know what they did but was told there was nothing I could have done myself.

The tech told me that he had ordered a replacement MCU so they would have one if/when I wanted it replaced. I receive emails twice a week: "MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN, Part #: 1098010-99-H, Ship Date: Pending." It's a little discouraging that they haven't received one in three weeks. I don't use the car that much in the summer in lieu of a motorcycle, but it failed a week later while I was driving. (First time was when I got into the car.) Doesn't affect driving per se, but I could not turn the A/C on. Strange that I could connect to it via the phone app, but when I attempted to turn A/C on through the app it returned a failure message. Eventually restored that time with reboots. In the garage I've noted a third failure but it also came back with a reboot then. So I do want to address the matter.

An MCU2 upgrade isn't currently available for pre-facelift models. Maybe it will or maybe it won't ever. So I've been debating with myself even prior to my failure if I wanted such a $2500 upgrade or not. If I did, perhaps it would make sense to try and hold off repair until it became available for my old(!) model. But with a change to MCU2 I would lose both the AM and FM radio I currently have -- plus $2500. I paid for the extended service agreement, so a simple MCU1 replacement will cost me $200.

My original intention in 2015 was to keep the car for the full 8 years of service and then buy a new Model S with many improvements and the promised FSD(haha). While the car is great (also bought a 2018 Model 3 with no problems) the numerous Tesla corporate deficiencies detailed on this forum have me wondering if I even want another Tesla. I suffer from "batterygate" and "chargegate," another reason against going for a $2500 MCU upgrade. I'm still hoping that the company will get it together in the 3 years remaining on my service agreement.

I am currently thinking that I'll go for the $200 MCU1 replacement whenever it shows up at the SC; that should last me 3 years (with a barely functional browser et. al.). But do any of you have other thoughts on this issue? I must say that the people at my SC seem to be pretty good. Glad that they built it a few years after I got the car.

Scratching my head on this one. You'd think Tesla could at least split the labor component off from the $2.5k, cost it out to the warranty, and then the customer pays the part costs. Seems like a win-win for all?

Tesla Tap reporting
  • MCU2 Upgrade price lowered to $1750 for MCU1 cars still in warranty
FYI - Tesla reportedly knocking off $750 for MCU1 cars still under warranty. Still looking for official confirmation.

Last edited:
Reactions: markn455
At $1750 I might consider an “upgrade” to MCU2, but I don’t even think it’s available for my VIN. I’d end up looking for a salvage tuner to keep XM radio if I ever went that route.

I have a service appointment scheduled for MCU1 replacement in 12 days, with ~400 miles of warranty left. I’ve dealt with black screens and slow boots, so I want to make sure all options are considered before the warranty is up!

At $1750 I might consider an “upgrade” to MCU2, but I don’t even think it’s available for my VIN. I’d end up looking for a salvage tuner to keep XM radio if I ever went that route.

I have a service appointment scheduled for MCU1 replacement in 12 days, with ~400 miles of warranty left. I’ve dealt with black screens and slow boots, so I want to make sure all options are considered before the warranty is up!

why salvage? You can buy a new tuner2 from Tesla with XM for $225+tax.

Reactions: cellphonechris
I was going to post a new thread "Thoughts on MCU1 Replacement" but figured I'd just put this here.

An MCU2 upgrade isn't currently available for pre-facelift models. Maybe it will or maybe it won't ever. So I've been debating with myself even prior to my failure if I wanted such a $2500 upgrade or not. If I did, perhaps it would make sense to try and hold off repair until it became available for my old(!) model. But with a change to MCU2 I would lose both the AM and FM radio I currently have -- plus $2500. I paid for the extended service agreement, so a simple MCU1 replacement will cost me $200.

See this thread... the MCU2 upgrade is available for pre-facelift MCU1 cars in selected markets.
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

TMC posts about failing MCU1 memories had me wondering how much longer my 2015 Model S 85D had before succumbing to the problem. The flat screen stayed blank three weeks ago no matter how many attempted reboots, so I got my answer. I'm lucky to live two miles from a SC, so I simply drove right there instead of reporting via technological means. No appointment, but they took it in right away and eventually got it re-started. I don't know what they did but was told there was nothing I could have done myself.

The tech told me that he had ordered a replacement MCU so they would have one if/when I wanted it replaced. I receive emails twice a week: "MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN, Part #: 1098010-99-H, Ship Date: Pending." It's a little discouraging that they haven't received one in three weeks. I don't use the car that much in the summer in lieu of a motorcycle, but it failed a week later while I was driving. (First time was when I got into the car.) Doesn't affect driving per se, but I could not turn the A/C on. Strange that I could connect to it via the phone app, but when I attempted to turn A/C on through the app it returned a failure message. Eventually restored that time with reboots. In the garage I've noted a third failure but it also came back with a reboot then. So I do want to address the matter.

My original intention in 2015 was to keep the car for the full 8 years of service and then buy a new Model S with many improvements and the promised FSD(haha). While the car is great (also bought a 2018 Model 3 with no problems) the numerous Tesla corporate deficiencies detailed on this forum have me wondering if I even want another Tesla. I suffer from "batterygate" and "chargegate," another reason against going for a $2500 MCU upgrade. I'm still hoping that the company will get it together in the 3 years remaining on my service agreement.

I am currently thinking that I'll go for the $200 MCU1 replacement whenever it shows up at the SC; that should last me 3 years (with a barely functional browser et. al.). But do any of you have other thoughts on this issue? I must say that the people at my SC seem to be pretty good. Glad that they built it a few years after I got the car.

I'd definitely push for the MCU2 upgrade, but the problem is the horrendous delays in getting them. My MCU1 failed at the beginning of July and I'm still waiting on parts, with the latest delay via text message today pushing out my appointment to 26-Aug, and of course that's not guaranteed.

* No AC
* No sunroof
* No radio
* No App
* No vehicle temperature control (setting it so you don't fry yourself or a pet)

Really bad when you have to drive through 90-100F heat, in essence, it's simply not safe to drive unless you want to risk heatstroke as you can't even turn on the vents.

This is the Santa Clara service center, roughly an 8 minute drive from the Fremont factory. I even drive by the Lathrop parts warehouse weekly as well.