Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of thick, Let’s face facts:

-Loaners aren’t free.
-Warranty isn’t free.
-Roadside assistance isn’t free.
-Supercharging network isn’t free.
-Regular software updates aren’t free.

It’s all factored into the price of the car!

Only there is nothing in the warranty document that says you are entitled to a loaner, or even Uber credits, while your vehicle is in for service: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

You do understand that this means your 4 year OR 50,000 mile warranty expired 10,000 miles ago, right?

Yes, that's what I wrote.

On the other hand, having an undersized flash chip in the design, causing failures after a handful years is clearly a manufacturing defect.
Have you *ever* heard of essentially the radio failing like this in other vehicles?
We're not talking about drivetrain or other "wear and tear" parts - those make sense with a range based warranty.

If I was one random guy with a failure of some electronics then OK ... but that isn't what this is.

I think mine just kicked the bucket. Was tinkering with the stereo in the garage. It refused to play from any source so I rebooted it and the screen stayed black. Same symptoms as everyone else. I already had a service appointment for next Friday, so maybe they can bump that up. Not sure if MCU2 is worth even the $1750 to me, but I'll inquire anyway.

Following up. I picked up my car a couple weeks ago. Tesla replaced the MCU, but there was no discussion prior - they just did it. Not that I'm complaining, but at least for warranty issues, I think they just want to get people back on the road.

As for fueling the loaner argument, they initially offered me Uber credits. I said something like, "Those aren't really of much use to me these days. Do you have any loaners?" So they gave me one. It was a filthy P85D with a dent in the hood, but I was happy to have it. I had a ride lined up just in case they said no. I did not receive a loaner last December when my car was in for a bunch of other stuff, though I didn't ask for one either.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Good luck exercising that “privilege” ;)

I’m sure if you just insist on being privileged a little more, Tesla will quickly capitulate to your “higher standards”.

lol

Privilege Nonsense. In the early years of Tesla before Model 3, Elon promised a loaner vehicle for all Model S and X owners.

Only recently has Tesla not honored that promise and their customer service has declined severely. YMMV.

Got my car back yesterday after being outta commission for nearly a month.

They replaced the Tegra daughterboard as I was still just inside the warranty, it was all covered at no charge.

Really the service has gone way downhill since I first got the car back in 2017. But I'm just glad to have the car back!

So mine died a month ago. I had 2 weeks left in the 4 year warranty, but I was at 60k miles, so they said it was not covered.
Advisor quoted me the roughly $1500 for a remanufactured MCU1, or $2500 for MCU2 (which loses the radio). I told him (nicely) that this was unacceptable since it's a manufacturing defect, and that they are even being investigated for it. After this, he said they could also try replacing the MCU1 Tegra daughterboard. This would be around $350 ($120 for the daughterboard, the rest labor) - but he wasn't sure how long it would be to get. Since I don't need the car these days I told him I could wait.1.5-2 weeks later the daughterboard came in ... but the repair didn't work. Another advisor called me back and said it didn't work, so back to the original $1500-$2500 options. I called the first advisor back, and he told me he had already ordered a remanufactured MCU1 (at their expense), and that they would swap the "frame" of that into my vehicle. Took 1.5-2 weeks for the new part to arrive. So in the end (after almost a month), I have the car back with a 64 GB remanufactured MCU1 at a total cost of $350. Find a service advisor who is willing to go to bat for you!

How is the screen performance with the 64GB MCU1... any improvement over the original MCU1?

Privilege Nonsense. In the early years of Tesla before Model 3, Elon promised a loaner vehicle for all Model S and X owners.

Only recently has Tesla not honored that promise and their customer service has declined severely. YMMV.

We could write a very thick book titled "Elon Promised".

Tesla has never honored that promise, and thinking you're somehow entitled to it because "Elon promised" isn't gonna change that.

We could write a very thick book titled "Elon Promised".

Tesla has never honored that promise, and thinking you're somehow entitled to it because "Elon promised" isn't gonna change that.
Depends how a judge treats public comments by a CEO, often using Twitter to communicate company ‘policy positions’, as whether they induce a contract between the buyer & seller.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, so it's all just tilting at windmills until someone wants to go through the expense of getting a judgment.
There’s a thread from several months back in the Model S forum of an owner taking legal action against Tesla over several ongoing issues & it was adjudicated that Tesla had to buy back the car, reimburse government charges, pay legal fees & other summary costs such that it was a lot more than the original cost of the car
There is a basic principle in law, pretty much the world over, that when you incur loss you must be returned to the situation you were prior to incurring loss.

For what it's worth, location matters. The lone SC in my state has provided me a loaner on 4-5 occasions since owning my car. The one time they didn't have one available, they offered a high-end ICE from Enterprise (Maserati Ghibli Q4), but a loaner was returned before I could do the paperwork.

Even before I technically owned the Model S, I was provided an Enterprise rental due to a delayed delivery (BMW 750 xi) - just to keep my trade-in schedule intact. No complaints from me at all.

Still no confirmation from anywhere here about lower cost MCU2 replacements when your MCU1 fails while under warranty?
My MCU1 failed this week, and was told I can get a replacement MCU1 for ~$350 (or $200 with my extended warranty deductible).

I'll try and see if I can get a quote for less than $2500 for replacing a dead MCU1 under warranty with an MCU2.
(I'm dealing with the Tesla service center in Santa Clara, CA)

• Informative