Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If not this Tesla what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The supercharger network sold me on Tesla, I hesitated about buying a Model S and saw a Model 3 in the US shortly after it was launched and decided we would wait for it to come to the UK. I stand by my decision. During the wait, which seemed to go on forever, the supercharger network expanded and any lingering range anxiety quickly evaporated once we got behind the wheel. The Model 3 is very overpriced in many respects but it's a joy to drive. It's not perfect but it years ahead of anything else on the market and its holding its value too.

Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr
Yeah despite the lack of information at times it was a pleasure not having to deal with salesmen and the blatant lies to get you to buy...
Hmmm... I sat in a Service Centre / showroom today for my recalls.

Have to say service was excellent and I'd never seen the whole frunk full of Jaffa cakes before. All staff were really pleasant, as has been my experience from the first test drive (in a different SC)

BUT.... a steady stream of potential purchasers were all quoted 300 mile range. It's obviously the party line and it is a blatant lie.

BUT.... a steady stream of potential purchasers were all quoted 300 mile range. It's obviously the party line and it is a blatant lie.

The WLTP range of the new M3 that people will be ordering is 305 miles. It would be fairer to explain that this is in ideal conditions but it's not actually a lie ... let alone a "blatant lie". (In exceptionally favourable summer conditions on the right roads even my 2019 SR+ is capable of a pro rata 300 miles i.e. I've achieved 166Wh/mile average for 100 miles so would potentially get 301.2 miles for my 50kWh)

Reactions: Js1977
The WLTP range of the new M3 that people will be ordering is 305 miles. It would be fairer to explain that this is in ideal conditions but it's not actually a lie ... let alone a "blatant lie". (In exceptionally favourable summer conditions on the right roads even my 2019 SR+ is capable of a pro rata 300 miles i.e. I've achieved 166Wh/mile average for 100 miles so would potentially get 301.2 miles for my 50kWh)
Its not even worth the discussion since its the same story with every other makes. Tesla are top of the game on efficiency and that is that AFAIC.

Only car I considered. I was relocating and knew I was going to be commuting (75 miles roundtrip daily) so it had to be electric and cheap. Out of all the EVs out there in the 40k range, model Y SR was the best looking option. Never test drove an EV, then again I've never test driven any car or motorcycle I've purchased. Haven't regretted the purchase yet and doubt I will. The minimalist look and lack of sound has grown on this car guy. Free charging alone (14k miles n counting) damn near pays for the car itself.

Hmmm... I sat in a Service Centre / showroom today for my recalls.

Have to say service was excellent and I'd never seen the whole frunk full of Jaffa cakes before. All staff were really pleasant, as has been my experience from the first test drive (in a different SC)

I was more meaning the sleazy lies like I have one myself and it’s the best thing since sliced bread sort of thing. Or my personal bug bear the I need to talk to my manager and they bugger off for 20 minutes to have coffee whilst I’m sat like a plonker.

I know many love negotiations and getting deals and haggling but I just can’t be arsed, was nice to just be shown a car, get any questions answered quickly then or later by email and no pushing to buy just if you want it that’s the price order it online.

I was more meaning the sleazy lies like I have one myself and it’s the best thing since sliced bread sort of thing. Or my personal bug bear the I need to talk to my manager and they bugger off for 20 minutes to have coffee whilst I’m sat like a plonker.

I know many love negotiations and getting deals and haggling but I just can’t be arsed, was nice to just be shown a car, get any questions answered quickly then or later by email and no pushing to buy just if you want it that’s the price order it online.
+1

It was between the Ioniq 5 and the M3 for me. I test drove both and the Ioniq 5, although I prefer the exterior styling, didn’t give me the same feel as the M3. It didn’t feel as special, the interior is ordinary like most other cars and the lane keep and auto cruise control were not as good as the M3.

Or my personal bug bear the I need to talk to my manager and they bugger off for 20 minutes to have coffee whilst I’m sat like a plonker.
I'm with you. Last time this happened to me I left. Salesman and manager laughing away in an office 10 yards away.
He rang me while I on the way home... Told him to tell manager they'd lost a sale.

No, I don't mean that crap but it doesn't help Tesla that they repeat the WLTP lies. I didn't listen to sales spiel but if I'd realised the official figures were so far south I wouldn't have bought.

I do absolutely love aspects of the M3P experience, but equally I've never had a car that irritated me quite so much

I have a 2009 Mini Cooper and have wanted an EV for a couple of years. I wanted something bigger too, which isn't difficult!

After going to Fully Charged LIVE I had chance to compare and whittle it down. I was hyped to see the IONIQ 5, but it felt too out of proportion which was a shame.

After the show I decided to test drive the ID.3, e-Niro, and Model 3. I was really impressed with the ID.3, it felt nippy and a familiar size but the advisor said a car could be available by April. I was looking forward to the e-Niro test drive, but I only got a 15 minute run with an advisor in the car (which was too short and distracting to take it all in), it felt underwhelming and cluttered compared to the ID.3.

I got a full hour test drive for the Model 3, so had a good chance to test out town and motorway performance (punching it down the sliproad made me a bit dizzy!). Loved the simplicity and handling of the car.

After a lot of umming and ahhing the performance and supercharger network sold me on the Model 3 over the ID.3.

You've chosen to buy a Tesla, before you made that choice you looked at alternatives, which of those alternatives lost out as your first choice and why?
Before I moved to Sicily for work, I visited for a month to scope out the area. Back in the US, I had a BMW 535D as my commuter but knew the car was too wide for the narrow streets and parking, and too big to zip around town. So I began window shopping. I considered the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolio, Stelvio Quadrifolio, Tesla Model 3, and then the Y.

The Guilia and Stelvio QD lost because of the stiff suspension, thin tires, and big rims. It would not have survived the Sicilian roads.
I originally ordered the Model 3LR, but the wife suggested the Y so we can have a backup in case the family hauler had issues.
So I listened to the boss and ended up going with the 7-seat Y.

The alternatives lost because the Y checked off most of the boxes:
- 7-Seats that can accommodate the family
- Size is compact but big enough to fit our stuff
- Can zip around town, fit in narrow streets, and have no problems with parking
- Performance - I can easily overtake most cars and/or get away from bad situations quickly (🤫shhh... but I don't miss the exhaust or engine sound in the Tesla because it's just fun to drive)
- Safety factor (Sentry mode and excellent safety crash ratings)
- Seats are really comfortable
- Ride quality is surprisingly comfortable
- EV grants and rebates
- Resale value is awesome
- Charging network (vast amount of Tesla SCs in Europe)
- The technology (AP, FSD, Ent., etc.)
- Continuous software updates to improve the car during ownership (unheard of, ever, compared to other car manufacturers)
- A looker
- And something new for me (first full EV - previously had a Prius)

I bought the Y without seeing or test driving one. I just knew it was the winner, and I haven't been wrong yet. Maybe when the CT comes out, I might find something wrong then to trade in the Y. Lol!

You've chosen to buy a Tesla, before you made that choice you looked at alternatives, which of those alternatives lost out as your first choice and why?
Well to be frank when I bought my Tesla in 2017 there really weren’t very many real alternatives and certainly nothing that could match an S or X.

Fast forward almost to 2022 and matters are a quite a lot different. We now have most manufactures sporting EVs in their line up. We can call that the Tesla effect! Well done there Elon.

I’m car shopping again, post pandemic and the new car lead times from every make are frankly crazy. The forward pipeline from Tesla (from a model replacement perspective) is a bit, well…uninspiring too. Certainly for S and X owners in my opinion.

Superchargers are are strong asset to Tesla. Possibly their strongest, but if the network opens up, it’s going to sway a whole bunch of folks.

Anyhow going to take a Taycan for a test later this week and see how good they are.

Reactions: Fly.guy
>>Superchargers are are strong asset to Tesla. Possibly their strongest, but if the network opens up, it’s going to sway a whole bunch of folks.<<

I think it will bring in quite a revenue to Tesla, but will hurt Tesla car sales since they are no longer the only child on the block.
Agreed. Unless something drastic improves my next car won't be a Tesla. My current EV concern is finding an empty and working charge point on a long journey. Having a Tesla largely negates this. If Superchargers are available to all I won't have to worry about brand.

Reactions: Sean.
Well, I narrowed my shortlist to: Ioniq 5, ID4, Audi Q4 E-Tron, Mercedes EQC and Model Y. Was planning to test drive them all (M3 instead of MY) after my holiday in Denmark.
However, whilst in DK I had the opportunity to test drive the MY (19inch wheels). I had seen some reviews for the MY and was concerned about stiff ride and sensitive steering. After 30mins on some high speed and bumpy roads, my concerns quickly evaporated. Sure, the ride is a little stiff but nothing I’m worried about and the steering you will quickly get used to. Did an acceleration test just before arriving back at the Tesla store, and I was completely sold. Same evening, 25th Sep, I ordered an MY LR. Now the waiting is killing me.

Well, I narrowed my shortlist to: Ioniq 5, ID4, Audi Q4 E-Tron, Mercedes EQC and Model Y. Was planning to test drive them all (M3 instead of MY) after my holiday in Denmark.
However, whilst in DK I had the opportunity to test drive the MY (19inch wheels). I had seen some reviews for the MY and was concerned about stiff ride and sensitive steering. After 30mins on some high speed and bumpy roads, my concerns quickly evaporated. Sure, the ride is a little stiff but nothing I’m worried about and the steering you will quickly get used to. Did an acceleration test just before arriving back at the Tesla store, and I was completely sold. Same evening, 25th Sep, I ordered an MY LR. Now the waiting is killing me.

Nice one and I feel your pain re: waiting time. But what is the wait time on those other cars, I wonder? In the UK the IONIQ 5 had a wait time of 9 months at the time I test drove it (some three weeks ago). Whereas my M3LR is taking about 6 weeks to arrive.