Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla wants to compete with $100K mainstream buyers then.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the intent was that a car with a $140k MSRP three years ago now has a $100k MSRP. I'm not sure that's quite true, but certainly there have been some drops, especially with the latest move to include Ludicrous in all Performance cars.

Do the Math on a Loaded Model S today vs just 3 years ago. There is a $40k difference. Heck I paid $113k for my S90D in October 2016 which is now $85,990 and I am not talking about depreciation..

Configure a Model S with all options and Pearl White interior... Today with Ludicrous its $105,990, 3 Years ago it was $145k there is your $40k
Wheres the captain obvious emoji when you need it..........I understand the math and the intent of the post but reading how it was written seemed to infer that you could purchase a 3 year old model s for 40k or "LESS", key word in quotes.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Wheres the captain obvious emoji when you need it..........I understand the math and the intent of the post but reading how it was written seemed to infer that you could purchase a 3 year old model s for 40k or "LESS", key word in quotes.

My post was pretty clear.

"I also don't want to spend $140k MSRP on a car when the same cars MSRP drops 3 years later to $40k less.:

The MSRP on the same car dropped $40k less than it was.

I don't follow the values or MSRP of other cars and it would be interesting to see if other OEM's have the same issue.

It's happened. The Volt lost $5k of MSRP from 2012 to 2013, on a car that's less than half the price. The ELR kept it's completely unrealistic MSRP for a few years, then it was dropped by $10k when it was reintroduced.

I don't think it's terribly common, but it certainly does happen.

Do the Math on a Loaded Model S today vs just 3 years ago. There is a $40k difference. Heck I paid $113k for my S90D in October 2016 which is now $85,990 and I am not talking about depreciation..

Same boat as I paid in late 2016 for my S90D. I guess if I was REALLY concerned about depreciation, I would have purchased used.

But also don’t forget that we could get the full 7,500 tax credit back then too as well as FUSC which transfers to the next buyer. Doesn’t account for the full 40k, but it helps. Also was able to get pano roof and leather seats.

Tesla has always made it very clear that they are NOT competing with the legacy brands and their ICE cars. They have never sold their cars as true "luxury" cars in the traditional sense of the legacy car manufacturers.

First and foremost, they have always billed themselves as the best EV cars period. That's it.

That's why I don't compare my S with an MB S class Porsche Panny etc. Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Yes, I see the argument regarding a $100K+ car, however its not just the price. Will Tesla survive once the legacy brands start to make luxury EV's that are better than Tesla's? Perhaps not (but maybe by then Tesla will focus on the luxury aspect, who knows) and if they don't, Elon probably won't care as his mission will have been met - convert the industry to EV.

As far as their poor service is concerned, yes I agree 100% they need to work on that or it will be one of the contributing factors to their demise (if that comes to pass)

As SilverGS pointed out the comparison to "mainstream" vehicle buyers is not applicable. This is a technology product being sold to early adopters. Just like early plasma televisions were sold to early adopters for $10,000 and now you can get a better TV for $500. Tesla is pushing the envelope and investing a lot of money into the technology and manufacturing capabilities, experiencing the growing pains that come with this. The price will come down over time and then you will start to see more "mainstream" buyers considering these vehicles.

Reactions: PWlakewood
While I'd like ventilated leather seats (I don't miss a sunroof for a second), the pleather may be more durable and I bet in a blind test could pass for leather. I think more important than luxury amenities is simply standing behind your product and providing solid service.

The constant threads about yellowing screens is just one example. Tesla is handling the whole situation extremely poorly. They should take ownership of the problem. There is no excuse not to provide a definitive fix for this issue. How is this not a class action lawsuit?

Also, the move away from providing loaners is just lame. Not all of us want to deal with uber or any other taxi service. At this price point, a loaner should be a given.

Tesla service in general seems a bit scatterbrained, disconnected and inconsistent. I've had a few issues with my Raven since taking deliver in June and have tried to schedule visits to have things remedied. First, I was only given an option to take a mobile service appointment, then a couple of days before the appointment I was called/texted and emailed to say mobile service can't fix the issue, so they cancelled that appointment and scheduled me a couple of weeks later for a random appointment at the local service center. Calling to speak with a local service center now requires gaming the system with the automatic phone tree (magically, there is no problem calling for sales), which is insulting and annoying. When I purchased my first Model S in 2015, it was a piece of cake to call the local service center directly.

Tesla makes incredible cars, if you can suffer not being pampered with luxury amenities. To me the long term success to some degree will hinge on brand credibility and service quality.

Henry Ford did the same thing. He kept reducing his costs and prices until the mass market could afford to purchase his cars. Early buyers paid significantly more then those who bought later.

At one time the Ford Model T represented 55% of the cars in the entire World.

Tesla runs differently than all the other manufacturers. In some ways worse, but in other ways better.

They have set the World standard for electrifying personal transportation.

I bought in to the Musk business plan (Sell very expensive cars while perfecting the EV systems, then much cheaper ones to further the low carbon transportation model) but hearing all the woes about service do make me wonder. Add to that the way he seems to be treating his cars as an entertainment/video gaming site and I wonder more.
Low carbon is fine, but Musk has to remember what we actually buy cars FOR.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They need to get rid of the mobile service tech that replaced a burned out headlight at my home at 5:30pm on a Saturday because that fit my schedule.

Yes, that tech should be terminated immediately.

Nah, it's great to hear of such stories, but they don't cancel out or eliminate the negative experiences many tesla owners have had. It actually highlights how uneven the whole ownership scenario is across the board.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Please show me this 3 year old 140k Tesla for less than 40k and I will buy it today.
Pretty sure he is talking about buying it new than and now buying the same car new today. Tesla’s were $160k with every option and now $110k. I’m sure someone probably already clarified it for you but I stopped to reply after just reading your post. Here is a new S with every option, same car was $164k not so long ago.
ABFF6B37-7710-4722-88AB-1BDD56177AC3.jpeg

Reactions: Galve2000
Pretty sure he is talking about buying it new than and now buying the same car new today. Tesla’s were $160k with every option and now $110k. I’m sure someone probably already clarified it for you but I stopped to reply after just reading your post. Here is a new S with every option, same car was $164k not so long ago.
View attachment 439909

Plus had less range and most did not come with FUSC without a referral if I remember correctly. Even with a referral I’m pretty sure it was limited not unlimited