Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think this has anything to do with repeated supercharger usage, but more with Chademo usage.

No, because 99.9% of U.S. Chademo at this time do not charge even near the rate of Superchargers.

That's the thing, it may not simply be the peak power it may also be the longer time spent charging with Chademo. Previously referenced research and pack longevity studies suggest faster charging may be better because it shortens the time spent charging, (up to a point of course, can't charge at 5C with Tesla packs, yet). It's possible that Chademo falls in a weird area of elevated charging levels for a longer time period which allows more time for bad things to happen. I don't think that's the case but it might be possible.

Hi Everyone -

The peak charging rate possible in a lithium-ion cell will slightly decline after a very large number of high-rate charging sessions. This is due to physical and chemical changes inside of the cells.

Our fast-charge control technology is designed to keep the battery safe and to preserve the maximum amount of cell capacity (range capability) in all conditions. To maintain safety and retain maximum range, we need to slow down the charge rate when the cells are too cold, when the state of charge is nearly full, and also when the conditions of the cell change gradually with age and usage.

This change due to age and usage may increase total Supercharge time by about 5 minutes and less than 1% of our customers experience this.

Tesla is not slowing down charge rates to discourage frequent Supercharging – quite the opposite. We encourage our customers to use the Supercharger network at their discretion and we committed to doubling the number of worldwide chargers just this year.

We also want to ensure that our customers have the best experience at those Superchargers and preserve as much vehicle range as possible even after frequent usage.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,
Thanks for posting. I'm hoping you can provide a further clarification. I understand that cell aging, including the effects of frequent fast charging, will cause an increase in internal resistance, and thereby reduce the charge rate that the battery cells will accept (for a given applied voltage/power). But this new phenomena seems to be an artificial limit (throttling) from the cars charging system to limit APPLIED voltage/power. Can you tell us:
A) When this protective throttling was introduced (presumably in a recent firmware version) ?
B). Why is the protective throttling is only applied after a "very large number of high rate charges" ? And how is this "very large" figure determined by the car? Should users consider reducing high charge rates to limit the initial degradation?
C). Can you elaborate on what you seem to suggest may be a safety problem related to high numbers of high rate charges (or the corresponding battery degradation) ? What is this safety concern, and what should owners know about avoiding it?

Thanks in advance for shedding light on this important topic.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'm just not sure they know all of the outlier cases until they happen. Given a choice of quick to market or imagining and testing every outlier case (such as someone only doing DC fast charging for 2 years), what do you think they should do?

I suspect this issue was raised at Tesla by reviewing data from cars over time. Sure it was discussed how best to manage the charge rate curve and maybe it's still in the review phase and they are collecting info on the cars in this range.

I don't know how you plan to assign blame or fault, but to me that's an acceptable risk of buying new technology.

Personally, what I look for in Tesla's behavior is a bit different than some others here. Many forum members get super-anguished and offended that Tesla seems to repeat the "error" of not communicating limitations or design tradeoffs. I actually see that as a good thing... it means they are continuing to be ambitious and push the envelope... which they absolutely need to do in order to succeed. What I also look to is whether they analyze data, listen to feedback, and cycle the lessons learned back into product design.

These are all excellent points. Points that apply generally to lots of changes that Tesla makes to balance sometimes competing engineering objectives: fast charge and fast accel vs battery degradation. The challenge is accepting that they will continue to refine those choices and implement them through updates or software that adjusts to conditions it measures.

Reactions: mhan00
This comparison from 2013 would disagree with that and also highlights the charging curves between an 85 and a 60 kWh battery.

Supercharging Tesla Model S 60 kWh Versus 85 kWh - Video + Graphs

"Interesting is data for power. As it turns out, the 60 kWh version is nowhere close to the 120 kW mark and is falling down fast below 90 kW. Moreover, the 85 kWh version is using full power just for 10 minutes and then drops down too.

Current battery technology is unable to benefit from 120 kW power and the difference to 100 kW is thin. However, in the future better cells or larger battery packs should be able to utilize more power."

OK so you joined this forum in 2015 and I'm talking about 2013/2014 and you take a random website as gospel when it's just parroting the results of two users in Europe comparing their charge rates.

How about the TMC wiki? Battery table shows a bunch of S60 getting 105 KW and a few getting 111 KW. It's a lot more than two cars in that table for sure. Somehow I trust the data here more.

Dig around on this forum for the posts from those members and you'll see plenty of data provided to back up that table.

The problem with early comparisons was the older superchargers couldn't charge the cars as fast as the current superchargers do. And before the 120 KW supercharger were common some 85KW cars maxed out at 90KW charging, it's way old news now but things weren't always then the way they are now.

To get a google search to give you the right answer, some times you have to know the right question.

Last edited:
"ODE90D, Today at 2:08 PM
Just show me ONE 90D with +50K miles on the odometer that can charge with a peak above 100 kW - and I will rest my case. All 90Ds will be throttled as they get older and when does it stop?"

I have 42,200 miles on my 90D. When it hits 50K, I will take it over to the superchargers and see where it starts charging. One thing you don't mention is outside temp, whether you just pulled off the fwy so the battery is hot, and where you start charging. I would suggest that those parameters be set, and I recommend <80 degrees, short trip or a cool down period, and start at 10%.

I usually charge enough to get to my next stop. Often that's a motel or residence with a 50 amp outlet (or I add one to their circuit breaker box). So we're talking about charging up to 50% or less with SC.

You see, it all makes a difference, doesn't it? I was one of several who used my 85 as a charge test vehicle, charging side by side with other 85s to see what losses accrued over time. I hardly ever use SC. The difference between vehicle charging times those many years ago was around 4 minutes.

Someone is blowing this all out of proportion, I think. But that's just my opinion.

It is interesting to me that most of the issues seem to be about the 90 kWh pack, which is the first pack to have silicon added to the anode. It increases specific energy, but degradation has been an issue. Matter of fact, when they first shipped, the Supercharging experience was quite disappointing .. slightly worse than an 85 kWh pack overall. They've since changed that curve.

I'm curious if the OP can take a video of a full Supercharger session so we can plot the taper curve. While the peak might be shaved, it would be interesting to note the overall graph.

I do think that Tesla needs to be more forthcoming over this. And if they didn't limit the peak Supercharging rate, what really would be the effects? Is it the right trade-off?
I've seen as much degredation in the 90kwh battery that I did in the 85, but at only half the miles. Charging habits did not change from car to car. Needless to say, I'm unimpressed with the 90kwh battery based on that experience/observation.

One thing you don't mention is outside temp, whether you just pulled off the fwy so the battery is hot, and where you start charging

roblab: After I read your note i got quite concerned and I called the SC about this. I just got off the phone with my local SC and I was told that Tesla has implemented a battery algorithm that would prevent charging rates over 90 kW when the outside temp and the battery temp is quite hot - above 110F. And I asked him if this algorithm uses a counter, a hash table, a binary tree or a lookup table. he wouldn't tell me, but he did not jump in and immediately say it is not a counter.

I am shocked. Do you guys understand what the implications are? I have to wait 3 minutes and 27 seconds longer when I have to charge from 2% to 100% on a hot summer day. And it gets worse if I have to start from 0 miles. That would be an additional 12 seconds. I am used to leaving an SC at 52 minutes, and now on hot summer days it will be 55 minutes. That sucks

Tesla needs more transparency.

OK so you joined this forum in 2015 and I'm talking about 2013/2014 and you take a random website as gospel when it's just parroting the results of two users in Europe comparing their charge rates.

When I joined the forum is irrelevant and the linked article is a data point, not gospel. Also not exactly random as Bjorn and InsideEV's are fairly well known and at least somewhat trustworthy entities. Plus, the entire charge is on video.

How about the TMC wiki? Battery table shows a bunch of S60 getting 105 KW and a few getting 111 KW. It's a lot more than two cars in that table for sure. Somehow I trust the data here more.

I'm personally more interested in the whole taper of the charge than the maximum peak charge rate observed.

Dig around on this forum for the posts from those members and you'll see plenty of data provided to back up that table.

That may be so, but 60 kWh packs typically keep up with 90 kWh packs in terms of charge delivered as a percentage of the pack size, but not in terms of absolute charge delivered to the battery. They both will charge to a similar percentage, say 80% in a similar time but the larger pack at 80% will obviously contain more energy.

The problem with early comparisons was the older superchargers couldn't charge the cars as fast as the current superchargers do. And before the 120 KW supercharger were common some 85KW cars maxed out at 90KW charging, it's way old news now but things weren't always then the way they are now.

To get a google search to give you the right answer, some times you have to know the right question.

The point of the linked post was precisely to test the then new 120kW SC and the new revision packs.

"ODE90D, Today at 2:08 PM
Just show me ONE 90D with +50K miles on the odometer that can charge with a peak above 100 kW - and I will rest my case. All 90Ds will be throttled as they get older and when does it stop?"

I have a 12/14 P85D

Thanks for the information but it is quite irrelevant. You are driving a 85 and not a 90. Your battery chemistry is different.

My wife thinks I'm nuts to have my car charging at 3 AM now that Summer extreme heat is here in AZ. I have tried to convince her the battery will be much happier than if we continued to charge at 6 pm as we have all Winter. I also told her our battery is happier charging on our gentle home charging system than the Supercharger blast furnaces. I suspect that she thinks I'm wrong about that too and probably would prefer to get some free electrons occasionally.

Normally, I'd feel a little bad about hijacking a thread, but I couldn't choke down another handful of popcorn.

I never said not knowing is speculation. This kind of statement seems like a purposefully confusing interjection. It's a bit bizarre.

A lot of things are bizarre in test-based non-chat conversations, because a single message has to target a lot more different angles (and people) than verbal or chat dialogue perhaps does at any given time. My underlining the fact that we do not know was targeting the notion that we know "5 minutes". Some people took that number as fact, sort of seemed to me including you, and ran with it. It is my view that we know far too little about that number to tout it as a fact. (Indeed, from Denmark we already heard of 7 minute delays as a practical example.)
I believe that Tesla should provide us some more detail on this. I've said that from my first post in this thread. I absolutely prefer transparency about this kind of thing, but I also understand how something like this could happen. It's possible someone looked at the trade-off and just implemented it. 5 minutes might have seemed trivial to them. When Tesla comes out and quantifies the cap at 90kW and points out the ~5 minute trade-off, what makes you think that'll change?

Sure, a lot of people have said Tesla should provide us with more detail, but beyond that line there are very different approaches on what to do next. Some are understanding to the point that Tesla has no incentive to tell us more, on the other end I guess some are really trying to push Tesla to do the right thing and tell more by keeping their feet to the fire as @Canuck put it. It seems to me you are more in the first group, perhaps I am more in the latter group, though my personal things is more about finding the truth - that can happen without Tesla telling us too, by analyzing the data we get. You know me, analyzing the findings have produced results before, even when Tesla has no incentive to tell us (but we have an incentive to find out). E.g. @wk_057 is an extreme example of a person who finds out on their own...
For me, the only reason it would change is that Tesla learns that the batteries are degradable beyond the current projections. If that's the case, it's based on something we don't yet know.

Yes, it is something we do not know. What we do not reliably know is, what does Tesla know, because the precedent suggests a risk they would not be forthcoming with bad news until we find out about those bad news. Does analysis exist somewhere that suggest another step downwards in Supercharging capping is needed? Maybe Tesla could write an honest (not horse power kind) blog post about it all and alleviate our concerns. The precedent so far is that they will quietly implement counters/limiters etc. and only discuss them once they are forced by publicity. I see no change in this pattern, unfortunately.
I don't know how you plan to assign blame or fault, but to me that's an acceptable risk of buying new technology.

If Tesla finds out about an unforeseen issue, that's what recalls and warranty repairs are for. We would expect no less from other companies.
One other thing to note. There's a trade-off here, right? Battery degradation (some unspecified amount) vs. faster charging. Some have said they'd prioritize faster charging over battery degradation, but that seems terribly short sighted to me. The former is going to cannibalize the latter anyway. If you charge quickly at the cost of battery life, your battery life will eventually make it so you are permanently charging more slowly due to reduced range. So in a way it's lose/win vs. lose/lose.

Battery degradation over time is a well-communicated fact that even regular people can understand. If they want to make peak-charging "degradation" aka throttling a similar fact, then they should start by being very open about it before purchase and at the very least from the moment they find out themselves. As has been pointed out, not even this community knew about peak-charging throttling before the latest discoveries, so obviously this is not something that until now has been considered normal or communicated as a fact of life with battery electric vehicles.

Just as a reminder to you, Tesla even had a FAQ entry on Supercharging speed. Here is what is says. Considering that service centers apparently have been handing out knowledge about this for weeks or months already, we know Tesla has known about this, but apparently chosen not to mention it at all in any public material we could find out so far...
Tesla.com said:
I am not Supercharging as quickly as I expected. What could be happening?
Your vehicle and the Superchargers communicate to select the appropriate charging rate for your car. Supercharging rate may vary due to battery charge level, current use of the Supercharger station and extreme climate conditions. Your vehicle charges faster when the battery is at a lower state of charge and charging slows down as it fills up. Depending on your destination, charging to completely full is often not necessary.

How can I maximize power and reduce charge time at a Supercharger?
Each charge post is labeled with a number and letter, either A or B (e.g. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B). When possible, select a charge post with a unique number that is not currently connected to a vehicle. When a unique number isn’t available, the Supercharger cabinet has technology to share available power between charge posts A and B. To maximize power, park at a Supercharger shared with a car that is nearly done charging.

The fact that Tesla and several members on TMC seem reluctant to discuss this issue in public suggests to me some people may realize it has the potential to hinder adoption through creating apprehension about DC charging. But that would be a terrible reason to withhold information! The absolute worst. Besides being, just, well, wrong... it has the potential to backfire many times over, both for the company and for the mission.

Last edited:
2) The #1 fears of BEV buyers? Batteries. Range and battery degradation, to be specific. To sell meaningful volumes of cars, Tesla has had to directly address those fears. With Superchargers. With a complex BMS. And with a constant effort in iterations of the battery technology, the supercharger network, and the UI to DE-EMPHASIZE range concern and to reassure regarding degradation. SO, even though the "enthusiasts" on this forum would LOVE to have full disclosure of every line of code in every release of the BMS... it would be completely counter to Tesla's marketing imperative (making BEV objections disappear) to feature all of the caveats we want on their website or in their marketing.

So to summarize your post, in honest terms, you are understanding or advocating lying to the consumer by withholding information that is against the company's marketing imperative. Making BEV objections disapper through hiding BEV issues.

That is what you are saying - you do realize that - no matter the rationalization you lace it with. Maybe you don't mean it - I hope you don't - but that's how it comes across.

That's also why there is so much talk about how tricky this is to communicate. It is not tricky at all in reality. But people understand and realize the incentive to not communicate this at all, because the truth is uncomfortable and can be detrimental to the mission. What is tricky is how to tell a truth which can be detrimental to the mission - in a manner that would not be detrimental to the mission... and that may not be possible, hence the preference of some of not telling it at all.

The reality is, we now have a reason to discourage and dislike DC charging a bit and that's not good. That's the reality. It may be a small reason, and maybe we will all just get over it next week and this blows over, but it is a reason nonetheless. But in the end, ignorance is a bliss only in the short-term - long-term we are all better off knowing.

Last edited:
I agree with those posters that the practical effect of this throttling, even if correct, is pretty negligible since according to this graph as soon as you have more than 75-100 miles in the "tank" you're throttled anyway...

We don't have to look at graphs only, the practical effect is somewhere around 3-7 minutes according to current reports. Tesla themselves used the ~5 minutes number.

Reactions: Matias
My wife thinks I'm nuts to have my car charging at 3 AM now that Summer extreme heat is here in AZ. I have tried to convince her the battery will be much happier than if we continued to charge at 6 pm as we have all Winter. I also told her our battery is happier charging on our gentle home charging system than the Supercharger blast furnaces. I suspect that she thinks I'm wrong about that too and probably would prefer to get some free electrons occasionally.

Normally, I'd feel a little bad about hijacking a thread, but I couldn't choke down another handful of popcorn.

I like this post and I like this approach.

Now let's educate the masses and this will eventually be common knowledge/sense regarding BEVs.

If the truth is a bit uncomfortable, so be it, it is still the truth and we will overall adapt in some manner to it. Truth is still better than ignorance.

Reactions: u00mem9