Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started following this post a few months ago when my MX 100D started with the limited supercharging.

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

Has anyone else with limited supercharging noticed this?

I started following this post a few months ago when my MX 100D started with the limited supercharging.

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

Yes, I noticed that my 2016 MS charging rate went down but then on my trip from MA to Florida last year the rate started going back up. A lot. And stayed up while I was in Florida. I just figured it had to do with cold weather versus warm weather. When I'm back in MA it seems to be lower than it is here in Florida.

hmm....my 2020 Jan MS LR + has 7500 miles.....my charging has been limited from day one.....bought new....I have upgraded to 2020.48.26....went to new supercharger in Sun City, Ca where my woes aunt lives....this place has 12 stations I think and rated at 150kw.....I started with SoC at 23%.....started out fine but after 5 min, dropped to 75kW.....dash said 30 min to charge to 90%.....after 8 min was at 75kW......after 12 min was at 68% and at 15 min was at 69%....time remaining was still at 25 min, down from initial 30 min......to get to 90% it tick 1hr 5 min......charge rate was at 45kW when complete......but what I am concerned about is it starts out great and after 5-8 min drops below half the capacity.....there was nobody on either side of me for the whole duration.....I am planning on going from Irvine, Ca to Miami in February....hope its better then.....

I was under the impression with the last update and increased range would be noticed, but I haven't noticed anything in wither my M3 or the MS....so, something is going on....

We are over 5mWh in logged SC use and still charge as fast as we did day one on our X.

I got my usual 108kW max with a low SOC and a warm battery at a v2 today so that was disappointing. I failed to note the software version, but I got the update a couple days ago that changed the fonts in the dashboard. Just did another software update now and it's 2020.48.30. I was wondering if v3 might make a difference, but I notice the guy in the YouTube video was on a v2 and he noticed an increase in charge rate. Although he was on the 48.26 software and I'm not sure if I was on that at the time of my session. It's going to be a week or so until I can try on a v3 with the 48.30 software, but I'll try to remember and report back when I try it out.

I’d read from multiple sources it started at ~3-4mWh on BTX4 and BTX5..
Hmmm... in both of my Model Ses (see signature for details), my charging slowed down around the 30k mile mark which should be like 10mWh. But I can't say I wrote down the exact mileage so I'm not 100% sure. Definitely seemed like more than 5mWh though. I did read in one of these threads that other people were experiencing the throttle around that time. Anyways, hopefully with the new software update, you won't ever have to experience the turtle charging :)

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
hmm....my 2020 Jan MS LR + has 7500 miles.....my charging has been limited from day one.....bought new....I have upgraded to 2020.48.26....went to new supercharger in Sun City, Ca where my woes aunt lives....this place has 12 stations I think and rated at 150kw.....I started with SoC at 23%.....started out fine but after 5 min, dropped to 75kW.....dash said 30 min to charge to 90%.....after 8 min was at 75kW......after 12 min was at 68% and at 15 min was at 69%....time remaining was still at 25 min, down from initial 30 min......to get to 90% it tick 1hr 5 min......charge rate was at 45kW when complete......but what I am concerned about is it starts out great and after 5-8 min drops below half the capacity.....there was nobody on either side of me for the whole duration.....I am planning on going from Irvine, Ca to Miami in February....hope its better then.....

I was under the impression with the last update and increased range would be noticed, but I haven't noticed anything in wither my M3 or the MS....so, something is going on....
Schedule service. If you've been arriving at a properly working SC with a warm battery and low SOC and not getting full rates since day one, something is not right with the system. It's not the same thing as the topic of most of this thread. There's some fairly ideal rates at Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update which should give you an idea of what you should be seeing with a fully warm battery for any given SOC.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Be honest, are you actually happy with tesla removing the limit considering the downside, your battery pack will die faster? Esp with your travel usage.

I'm honestly conflicted
Speaking for myself, yes, I would be happy with that. Given the choice of a battery I can actually use that dies sooner, or a battery that's worthless for road trips but that I get to keep longer (yay?), I'll take the usable car. And if that throttled car gets wrecked or sold or disabled in some way, then the throttling was all for nothing anyway.

Speaking for myself, yes, I would be happy with that. Given the choice of a battery I can actually use that dies sooner, or a battery that's worthless for road trips but that I get to keep longer (yay?), I'll take the usable car. And if that throttled car gets wrecked or sold or disabled in some way, then the throttling was all for nothing anyway.
Precisely. If I wanted to charge at sucky rates I’d have bought another Bolt.