Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you get door dinged while sitting in the car...

Catch a door dinger. What do you do?

• Tell them to be more careful next time and let them go.

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • Ask for their insurance information.

Votes: 238 68.6%
  • Ask for cash compensation on the spot. But how much?

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Kick their ass

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are sitting in the car at a parking lot, and the passenger of the car parked next to you opens the door and it hits your car and you get a door ding.
What is the best thing to do?
I’m interested in hearing people’s responses as well. Always thought about what I would do in this situation.

Will the damage be too small to get reimbursed? Would you need proof of any sort? What if they just drove away?

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Depends on how bad the damage is. I’ve had this happen to me when a lady opened her door and the wind caught it and banged into my door. I got her insurance information but after cleaning it off and looking at it further, I called her and said it wasn’t a big enough deal to worry about so I let it go. What looked bad and sounded bad initially turned out to be pretty minor.

This happened to my wife's relatively new BMW with no previous dings or any other damage.
So basically that door ding popped the cherry for my wife's car.
Neither my wife or I like to confront others so we didn't.
But I was curious what other people would do in that situation.

Every time I walk by my wife's car in the garage, I notice that ding and I remember that incident..

Reactions: Pkmmte
Completely depends on the situation and what damage there is (if any). I have a buddy that does PDR, so I wouldn’t usually consider asking for insurance info unless there was paint damage beyond some scuffs or light scratches. If there was a dent I’d probably offer to let them go on their way for $50 on the spot to cover my buddy’s time and effort.

One time wind caught my door and dented the car next to me. I knew the owner luckily. It was a pretty black BMW. I went to her office and said “I dented your car, I’ve called a PDR guy, he will fix it”. He did, all was well. She was shocked I think. Told me I didn’t need to. I disagreed with that.

Someone damages your car, simply ask for insurance info. If refused or refused compensation, take a picture of their license plate and consider turning them in for hit and run. One bad attitude often leads to another.

On the other hand, sometimes confrontation can lead to an even worse situation. Need to make a judgement call.

If a cute girl is at fault, perhaps just get her # and talk it over at a nice dinner. (cue #me too comments")