Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually in this boat right now. I need a new car by October. I don't currently have a reservation for anything. The salesman told me it would be at least 12 months for delivery if I reserved one now. So I'm going to test drive a Fisker Karma in a couple of weeks. If the Fisker command center doesn't annoy me as much as some other Fisker owners, I'll buy the Karma. Otherwise I'll get the Porsche Panamera. If that's the case then I won't get an EV for at least another 3 years. I love the Model S, but timing just isn't right for me.

Have you thought of buying something used until you can get a Model S?

I'm actually in this boat right now. I need a new car by October....
Have you thought of buying something used until you can get a Model S?
That sounds like a much better idea than buying a new car you don't really want. Depreciation would be less on a used car, so selling it after a year would hurt less than buying a new car and selling it after three years and having to wait an additional two years for the S.

If I get the Karma or Panamera it would be a 3 year lease option, which is still pretty expensive. Including taxes, I'll end up paying about $80k over the course of 3 years.

If I spend $100k on a car I'd hate to have to settle for anything, but it looks like I'll have to compromise on something.

1. The Karma is the sexiest sedan I've ever seen by far. Nothing else comes close. But I just watched a 40+ minute youtube video review of its infotainment system, and it made me cringe. It's like it was designed in the 80s. The performance just isn't there either (such a heavy car).
2. The Panamera has the most luxurious interior of the 3 and it also has a lot of curb appeal, but not like the Karma. I have no complaints about its infotainment system (I have a Cayenne, which shares the same system), but it's still dark ages compared to Model S. And I'd really prefer an EV to use for my primary daily commute.
3. The Model S has an infotainment system that blows me away. I'm a tech guy, so that stuff is really important to me. The performance is good too. 300 miles to a charge is simply amazing. Love the panoramic roof, but the exterior as a whole looks weak compared to Panamera, and just doesn't belong in the same class as the Karma.

I'm still on the fence right now, but I think I'm leaning toward getting on the wait list for the Signature Performance even if it means getting it in 2013. Oh how I wish the Fisker-Tesla partnership would have worked out!

I don't really NEED another car. I have 2 SUVs. My wife and I work at the same company, so we commute together (15 minutes). Her mother is coming to visit in October for 3 weeks. I'd like to have a vehicle for her to drive, but she's scared of driving large vehicles like trucks and SUVs, so I was hoping to trade in one of our SUVs for a sedan for her.

Something I want to add to my post that has yet to been approved: I've read a lot of opinions from people who dislike the 17 inch infotainment system on Model S. The youtube video demos of this system had me drooling. For me that's the one selling point that tipped the scales (barely) for me toward the Model S over the most eye-catching sedan ever made -- the Karma.

Hi Ocean, I see your post, it seems to be approved but I'll double check. If you got on the sig wait list, there's no way you'd wait til 2013 if you actually ended up with a slot. There's also a few people selling their slots, so you might be able to find one with a relatively low markup.

As for the karma, I, too, considered it pretty heavily last year. In the end I felt there were too many downsides just to get a "striking" sedan. There are many on the market used right now though, so it shouldn't be a problem to scoop one up. I might wait for 2013 model year though when it's rumored they'll be fixing some of the command center issues with hardware upgrades.

Hi Ocean, welcome to the forum. You may have had a post held up in moderation because you're a new member - but anOutsider is correct - nothing is currently in the queue waiting for approval. Mentioning Fisker would have had nothing to do with it, only the fact you had very few posts :).

Yes the Karma is a striking car, but it comes at a price. It has a CD of .313
If the Model S looked exactly like the Karma, it would probably get around 25% less range.
If they offered that car for sale, I would pass.
I think the Model S combines good looks with smart design. It is more challenging to make something beautiful while remembering the laws of physics.
I never want to buy a vehicle again that wastes energy with superfluous bulges and grills.

If I don't get a Model S, I would consider the Model X, but it is probably too big for me.
I would wait for another EV like the Bluestar, and hope they do a good job on aerodynamics.
I would like to see innovation away from traditional car shapes.

Yeah I thought it might have been because I was a new member but my first post didn't need approval so it surprised me my 2nd one did. Maybe it's because I said 'sexiest' Lol.

I still have a lot more questions about model s. I'll look through the forums for answers. It's great to see so much activity on this forum!

The Karma is indeed a nice looking car, but I'd never buy a car for looks alone. Hey, I loved my little garden-pest-green three-legged clown car (the Zap Xebra). That said, I think a "very orange" Roadster is about the nicest looking car ever. I thought the Prius was downright ugly, and I still think it's kind of funny-looking, but I bought it because at the time it was the most advanced, the most efficient, and the cleanest car you could buy new, other than the tiny two-seat Honda Insight.

If I get the Karma or Panamera it would be a 3 year lease option, which is still pretty expensive. Including taxes, I'll end up paying about $80k over the course of 3 years.

If I spend $100k on a car I'd hate to have to settle for anything, but it looks like I'll have to compromise on something.

... snip...

I don't really NEED another car. I have 2 SUVs. My wife and I work at the same company, so we commute together (15 minutes). Her mother is coming to visit in October for 3 weeks. I'd like to have a vehicle for her to drive, but she's scared of driving large vehicles like trucks and SUVs, so I was hoping to trade in one of our SUVs for a sedan for her.
Used Roadster perhaps? It is smaller than S, more available as the S's get delivered. Could get one with relatively load milege.

Or could just long term rent a car for your mother-in-law. I'm sure there are many options for that.

But if you are going to keep the car then I suppose a sedan would be nice. The Sig waiting list might be an option and you could continue shopping while it gets sorted. Only a few weeks, I'd guess. Many other cars mentioned in this thread if that isn't quick enough.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Long term rental is the best solution for me. I'd love to get a roadster but after the inlaws are the car I need a family sedan that can fit an infant car seat in the back. I'll call on monday to see the waitlist look like for signature performance.

I thought the Prius was downright ugly, and I still think it's kind of funny-looking

I think the Prius is a far better looking car than either the Karma or the Model S--they both look like something my grandfather might have driven--horse and buggy design. But the Model S has much cooler tech than the Prius does so I'm overlooking the styling.

I think the Prius is a far better looking car than either the Karma or the Model S--they both look like something my grandfather might have driven--horse and buggy design. But the Model S has much cooler tech than the Prius does so I'm overlooking the styling.

lol first time I have ever heard these two cars being referred to as Horse & Buggy Styling......I think the 1st gen prius might be one of the most hideous vehicles I have ever seen, the current gen's rear end looks like a Pontiac Aztek. Maybe the Prius' styling is far too advanced for me to see how great the design is.

lol first time I have ever heard these two cars being referred to as Horse & Buggy Styling......I think the 1st gen prius might be one of the most hideous vehicles I have ever seen,

The design of the first generation Prius came from a contest held internally between all the Toyota design teams world-wide. The California team won. To me the first generation Prius styling looks just like the Karma or the Model S. It's hard to see the difference. All are three-box designs.

the current gen's rear end looks like a Pontiac Aztek. Maybe the Prius' styling is far too advanced for me to see how great the design is.

Actually, I thought the Pontiac Aztec looked like a modern vehicle. I might have looked into purchasing one had it not been a GM product.

Interesting question. My first inclination is to say I'd go with the Plug-in Prius. I love my Prius, the Plug-in is a logical next step for me even though it doesn't provide anywhere near the electric range I need/want--not even enough to get me to my place of work on pure EV. But, I can plug in at one of my places of work and would be able to make the round trip from home to hospital with a mile or less of total Hybrid driving. At 50mpg that's 50 round trips to work...about 8-9 months worth. But it doesn't take into account any of the other various running around trips that I do with my kids' activities that can easily add up to 60-70 miles per day b/w work and errand running.

I had a deposit down on a Nissan Leaf and might well have gotten that had things gone South with the Model S. It would have served as an adequate every day vehicle and has enough range for the 'running around' mentioned above. I'd have needed to keep the Prius as a back-up vehicle for longer commutes to baseball tournaments and such, however. The Model S will have more than enough range for those sorts of trips (most of the time--Tulsa is at the extreme edge of my range).

Thankfully, that's not a choice I'm forced to make!

Interesting question. My first inclination is to say I'd go with the Plug-in Prius. I love my Prius, the Plug-in is a logical next step for me even though it doesn't provide anywhere near the electric range I need/want--not even enough to get me to my place of work on pure EV. But, I can plug in at one of my places of work and would be able to make the round trip from home to hospital with a mile or less of total Hybrid driving. At 50mpg that's 50 round trips to work...about 8-9 months worth. But it doesn't take into account any of the other various running around trips that I do with my kids' activities that can easily add up to 60-70 miles per day b/w work and errand running.

I think that you're not thinking about PiP correctly. The EV mode in the PiP is best used only when the gas engine would be inefficient: short trips to the store, driveway shuffle, really bad stop-and-go traffic, the first bit of travel till you get out of the 25 mph residential streets. Using it like a Volt (e.g. driving on EV until the EV runs out and then switching to the ICE) is going to result in a less-than-optimal experience. Used correctly, I can see getting 120 mpg in a PiP.

Thankfully, that's not a choice I'm forced to make![/QUOTE]

Hear, hear! There's no question that the Model S will be a much better car.

I think that you're not thinking about PiP correctly. The EV mode in the PiP is best used only when the gas engine would be inefficient: short trips to the store, driveway shuffle, really bad stop-and-go traffic, the first bit of travel till you get out of the 25 mph residential streets. Using it like a Volt (e.g. driving on EV until the EV runs out and then switching to the ICE) is going to result in a less-than-optimal experience. Used correctly, I can see getting 120 mpg in a PiP.

Thankfully, that's not a choice I'm forced to make!

Hear, hear! There's no question that the Model S will be a much better car.

There are multiple philosophies on that, but for the most part it makes most sense to fully deplete the EV range unless you'll clearly be at highway/interstate speed, in most situations. Mine included. If you barely use the ICE it never gets fully up to operating temp and won't sustain there going in and out of EV. In my case my work is right at 14 miles from my home and I can plug in there, so EV range would just be depleted (technically it isn't depleted, but is close enough that the computer forces you out of EV into HV), so I'd have barely 1/2 mile on most days that I'd be using ICE at all. Makes no sense to NOT use EV for the initial part. Almost all my driving is city/rural anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: