Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If your 12V battery dies....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just thought of one other possibility for the 12V battery to be dead, but I don't recall hearing this happening. If the vehicle is parked, not plugged in, and the main battery is very low, and the car is abandoned long enough, all systems will shut down to try to prevent the main battery from being damaged from too low state of charge. I think this is referred to as survival mode. In this case the 12V battery would be allowed to drain completely.

OP: If you're worried about a worst-case scenario like this, just carry the emergency charger on your person when you exit the car. It's burdensome (even if they are relatively lightweight), but if it'll give you peace of mind, its worth it.

Worst case would be that the 12V is dead and it needs to be replaced..thus towed to a service center. If that's the case...why not just call Tesla Roadside Assistance. They'll know how to get into the vehicle...AND, they'll be able to properly put the vehicle in tow mode.

Worst case would be that the 12V is dead and it needs to be replaced..thus towed to a service center. If that's the case...why not just call Tesla Roadside Assistance. They'll know how to get into the vehicle...AND, they'll be able to properly put the vehicle in tow mode.
Yeah but his question is how to solve the scenario he presented, which is how to access his jump starter battery kit when it's in the car and the battery is completely dead. So far it's either jerry-rigging it to the terminals or not storing it in his car. Let's assume no access to road side assistance since that horse has been beaten sufficiently. :)

Well, no one came up with a clever idea of how to access frunk, trunk, or cabin with dead 12v. I guess I will store it somewhere in the car and if I ever get warnings about the 12v needing service, I will either replace it or start making sure I can get to it (leave car unlocked or put charger in the wheel well on top of the tire). Even though the problem sounds uncommon, it is unfortunate that you can't get inside your car.

Does anyone know the minimum current required to open the frunk via the bottom bumper port? I assume it is just a 12V solenoid, so it shouldn't require much IMO. Maybe a part number of the release solenoid? I'm evaluating the possibility of placing/mounting a battery either inside the port, or elsewhere. I'm thinking that a battery sized to just get inside the frunk could be quite small....

Seems like what the OP would need is a compact primary (non-rechargeable) 12V battery that could be hidden securely under a bumper or wheel well like a hide-a-key. I wonder if a 9V battery would be just enough to trigger the frunk latch? If not, a small boost circuit and capacitor could take the 9V up to 12V. Sounds like a product opportunity or at least a DIY, perhaps 3D printed device.

I’d be hesitant to store one of the many cheap LiPo jump packs in or on the car due to potentially exceeding the storage temperature and lack of safety devices in most such packs.

Maybe hide on of these outside the car: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-18000m...6016&sdsrc=staff&sr=8-2&keywords=jump starter

Or put something similar in the frunk and route wires from the "pack" to the Mod 3's jumper port...make sure you cap the leads. Then, when the 12V fails, removed the jumper port, 12V leads, uncap the "pack" leads...connect and jump. You can then periodically recharge the pack as required.

depending on how much current the circuit needs, it could be possible to even use an A23 battery. It's smaller than a AAA but it's 12V. (it's basically just 8 coin cells stacked in one package). A23 battery - Wikipedia
upload_2018-2-14_13-39-13.png

I've been thinking about this too as I've seen this happen twice now with the M3 (here and here). I don't particularly like the idea of jury-rigging some kind of button to the outside, so I've just concluded that I'll have to either hope roadside assistance responds quickly, hope I can find someone with a vehicle nearby that can give me a quick traditional jump just to get the frunk open and access the 12V jump starter I would store there, ask my spouse to stop by with the one in her vehicle, or keep one at my workplace in case the issue happens there. If travelling I suppose there would be an easy enough way to keep one in a backpack or suitcase, but not something I want to have to think about.

depending on how much current the circuit needs, it could be possible to even use an A23 battery. It's smaller than a AAA but it's 12V. (it's basically just 8 coin cells stacked in one package). A23 battery - Wikipedia
View attachment 280391
We either need a part number that might reveal specs on the solenoid release OR a current owner willing to see if the A23 will release....any curious volunteers? It's for the greater good!

PS. My intention is to keep a larger "jump starter” in the frunk....this is just a simple way to gain access to it!