Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently in a 2004 lexus es330 about to hit 150k miles without breaking a sweat. The wife is in an 05 sequoia and if the model Y has the room I will snatch that car up for her as well. I have only ever paid cash for vehicles and our cars run great even though they are around 150k miles each. I always thought I would drive them both into the ground since they have been so good to us and have more features then the 2014 jeep my sister just paid 30k for. Boy did I change my stance once I saw the Tesla and heard about a more affordable option. This might be the first vehicle I don't pay cash for, my first electric, first time to buy new, my first vehicle upgrade without a real need, and I can not be more excited!

I'm coming from a 2000 BMW 328i which to me was the perfect combination of performance, luxury and practicality for its time. I was thinking of getting a BMW 335i but over the years BMW 3 series has lost the edge and the competition has caught up. I have been following Tesla since Model S debut but model S was out of my budget. The news about an affordable model from Tesla made me wait. Based on the all the details so far it looks like Model 3 will not disappoint. Handling is more important to me than straight line acceleration and I hope the model 3 handling will be better or at par with the 3 series. I am hoping my 328i will last me until my model 3 is ready as it looks like it is going to be a long wait.

I'm coming from a 2006 Dodge Stratus with currently 152k miles. The transmission went out at 120k. The scariest experience I've ever had in a car. I think you grow fond of the car you own...so I've put some money into it. Most recently it needed a new oil pressure switch. I'm still smelling burning oil so my mechanic will have to search further to see where it might still be leaking. I'm not seeing it on the ground. It might not make it two years without a huge investment. I really want to buy an American car, or at least as American as possible. I'm sad for the condition of our auto industry in Detroit. Also, sad for how the auto industry has left their remnants in several Michigan cities. I like that Ford did not take the buyout and considered my next car to possibly be a Fusion. Tesla has accomplished so much. They are not just building cars in America but beautiful cars. They are standing behind their product and supporting their customers. It is easy to become emotional about Tesla's investment in America. I hope they will have a very successful future.

Currently driving a leased 2013 Leaf that I need to return in March 2017. I will probably need to get a used car to make it until Model 3 delivery or may need to resort to public transportation or barrow a car from relatives.

Any suggestions from folks in the forum for my situation?
How would an ebike work for you?

FYI, three excellent ebike related sites:
Grin News
ElectricBike.com
Endless-sphere.com • Index page

We have a 2000 Honda Insight with about 85k miles. It's about to become a hybrid again. The dead battery is turned off. Going to put in a new battery soon.

Also have a 2005 Ford Ranger pickup truck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: int32_t
I'll either be selling my 2006 Acura TSX (115k miles on it now), or giving that to my boyfriend (he'll be fiancé at the time of delivery) and we'll sell his 2007 Hyundai Elantra. It'll be a numbers game at that point and I guess a question of which one my boyfriend wants to drive. We shall see!

Coming from a 2014 VW Passat TDI.

Sounds like VW is going to give my $5k towards the Tesla *and* buy back the car at a pre-scandal price. Thanks Das Auto.

VW Will Buy Back Some Diesel Cars, Announcing A Deal With U.S.

This could be really good news for us.
The rumored detail that really has me excited: we'll have 2 years to decide if we want to sell back to VW.

The dream scenario for me is to keep driving the TDI until my Tesla is ready for delivery. Then head to the VW dealership to sell them the Jetta at the old price + compensation.

Reactions: ucmndd
This could be really good news for us.
The rumored detail that really has me excited: we'll have 2 years to decide if we want to sell back to VW.

The dream scenario for me is to keep driving the TDI until my Tesla is ready for delivery. Then head to the VW dealership to sell them the Jetta at the old price + compensation.

Right there with ya. Will be interesting to hear the specifics, but this would be my plan as well, even if I need to bridge a short gap with a beater for 3-6 months.

I am currently driving a pretty loaded up 2016 BMW 340xi which I just leased back in September. Lease would be ending Sept 2018 and I would be able to extend a month or two without too much hassle.

That should give plenty of time to see what the final Model 3 looks like and if it would make for a good replacement.

I have been leasing BMWs for a while now after long-term owning a couple of Audi A4s. I like sports sedans and lately the more power the better. My goal would be to write a check for a Model 3 for about $55K including taxes that I could then drive for 10-12 years without too many problems.