Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you all wait until you got your normal state plates, or did you do it with the temporary IL tags?

That was one of my questions when I called the IL EPA lady 5-6 weeks ago, and she said that it is no problem if you apply with temp tags (just make sure you note that they are temporary tags). Several folks just received their checks this past week, and some reported that they applied with temporary tags, so it really doesn't seem to be a problem.

This is getting annoying.

I applied for mine July / August last year ... got a letter back Jan 15 claiming I had not provided the ENTIRE VIN, even though the ENTIRE VIN was on other sheets ... faxed them the inked in VIN on page 1
on Jan 16. Still heard nothing 6 weeks later.

Yep. Its is a rebate. I got my check in August. The only 1099 from the state was for my 1099-G for my refund last year.

The only way it's taxable is if you are depreciating the car as an asset using the actual expense method (rather than the mileage-based method), because the rebate reduces the amount paid for the car. I doubt anyone would do this, though, because of the depreciation limits. 56.5 cents per mile is going to be much much better in the long run.

I got my $3914.50 in Feb 2013 for our 2012 Volt we bought in March 2012, and I got $3914.50 in Feb 14 for the 2013 Volt I bought in Aug 2013. I was expecting that check to take 10 or 11 months, but low and behold it showed up 5 months after I mailed it in.

Tom
USAF Retired

I sent my stuff in literally about 3-4 weeks ago and got my check in the mail today.....nice...so to date I've gotten the full $11500 that Tesla had claimed...good news for new owners!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 116