TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Illuminated Tesla 'T' please!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by joshuaeven, Jun 5, 2013.

1. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Thanks for looking into this - it would certainly be amazing as would the illuminated T!

I'd pay to have both done! :wink:

Aaron

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'll order a spare of the chrome trunk strip to see what can be done. Let's hope it's plastic.

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

There are lots of different sizes of EL wire so you should be able to get something that is close.

However, there are drawbacks to EL wire: it gets dimmer over time (several thousand hours), it's not that bright to begin with and you have a relatively small number of colors to choose from. The inverters I know of that take 12V are big clunky things.

I would consider using RGB LEDs which will last a very long time. You can tune the color to what ever you want or even make it change colors on the fly and/or pulse it like a heartbeat. Use it to back-light a T that is cut out. Here's one example. With a small format Arduino you could set it up to rotate through different colors. It takes 12V so it would be easily compatible with the MS. It would be a very small package. I'd be happy to help with the programming and set up (though it's pretty much like falling of a log with an Arduino). If there was enough demand, an even smaller and cheap board could be designed.

Phil

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#24 vfx, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    The stores have this treatment in the signage. 3 foot white plexi T mounted in red walls and backlit. I'd guess the T protrudes from the wall about 7/16 or so.

My suggestion to Franz was on the hood (in the metal) and flush with a slight glow like the apple logo. This layout works real well with the Roadster hood T.
    Glowing T 3.jpg

Having the plastic T stand out proud of the surface would have the glow bleed onto the hood (or cone) surface. Both work. Just different looks.

The Mercedes version (mocked up below)uses the edge glow. Also appropriate since the Tesla stores use this on the TESLA signs in front of the stores.

teslalogo glow 3.jpg

The cone has a pretty extreme curve. Would the T need to mimic this vertically? I think so for the most professional treatment.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm going to experiment with both LEDs and EL. As they're already being made, I'll have the two logo T's in plexiglass by the end of the week. By then all of the other parts I need to create the two versions will be in hand.

This is next weekend's project. Hopefully I'll have some results to share by next Sunday.

6. DEinspanjer

DEinspanjer Member

Bah. I have my own plans that I have been working on long before I heard about the benz logo. Unfortunately, it is taking many weeks to get the logo and tail badge delivered. :/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#27 vfx, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Scion does it twice in this commercial.

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I should have all the parts in place tomorrow and show the results of my several experiments by Sunday night.