Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm going to be the first to have a totally autonomous Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, yes, that was a bit of a click-bait title, sorry.
Let me start by saying that this post is not seeking sympathy, so let's avoid uncomfortable comments.
On the very last day of 2019 a brown letter dropped on my doorstep from the DVLA
To be honest, I had been expecting it from even before I ordered my M3P back in May last year.
In 2014 They found and removed a tumour from my lower intestine, stitched me up and sent me on my way.
I continued to play squash, hike and do my regulation Fitbit 10,000 steps a day for the next 3 years.
In 2017 alarm bells began ringing and I started chemotherapy.
The prognosis was not good.
In these circumstances a person can go downhill, stare at the wall and become depressed.
Or you can find something that you really would love to do.
An investment consultant told me that I could ask my pending pensions for a serious illness claim form.
This would allow me to en-cash my entire pensions tax free.
This I did with one of them and used some of the money to buy my M3P
I took delivery last September and every day has been fun since then, till the last day of the year when the DVLA's letter arrived.
Yes, they have decided that my condition is at a stage where they, on the advice of my oncologist, need to cancel my licence.
As I said, this has not been unexpected, but saddens me all the same.
This is where the title of this thread comes in.
I have added two friends to my insurance - they will now become my surrogate drivers - and therefore I will be able to sit in the passenger seat and the Tesla will take wherever I choose!
Sorry that's a bit lame, but at least I still get to enjoy the car!

This is where the title of this thread comes in.
I have added two friends to my insurance - they will now become my surrogate drivers - and therefore I will be able to sit in the passenger seat and the Tesla will take wherever I choose!
Sorry that's a bit lame, but at least I still get to enjoy the car!

That is a shame. As much as I'm not happy with Tesla the company. I do enjoy driving my car. I hope things turn around for you and you are able to drive once more. I'm glad that you took the action of doing something you loved when you could.

Reactions: Compuguide
Obviously I don't know the details of your current condition but do you feel you are competent to continue driving? Could you not appeal the DVLA decision?

I'd like to think I would be as positive and forward thinking if I found myself in a situation like yours! Good on you :)

It's pretty much a standing joke in my family that while full autonomy probably won't arrive here in Europe for quite some time yet, no matter what Elon says (I'm not sure it will in the US without additional hardware on even the latest cars) by the time my wife and I are too old to drive they might just have perfected it!

Reactions: Compuguide