TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jdovi, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Amitch1

Amitch1 Member

Ohhh, you're poor baby! But then again, 'Way to go, Baby!' Glad to hear you're ok, and best thoughts go out to the other driver - no matter how you look it - it's a ****** situation.
    About how fast were you moving and about how fast was the other car moving (best guess or perhaps the first responders told you)?

2. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Member

Wow...considering how damaged your car looks, it is amazing you were able to walk away without any major injuries. Glad you are ok.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

4. Otmar

Otmar EV Modder

@jdovi I also am very glad that you were uninjured. I hope you have gotten a replacement Tesla by now.

I thought you might like to know that I bought your crashed car yesterday at the insurance auction. I'm eagerly awaiting for it to be brought out here to Oregon so I can give it a new life.I'm so excited to get my first Tesla!

My plan for it involves some pretty heavy modifications. It won't be nearly as beautiful or safe as the stock Model S, but it certainly should be interesting. I'll elaborate on that in another post since I don't want to hijack this one.

5. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

@Otmar this sounds intriguing. Please post a link to your new thread in this one when you start working on the car. :)

6. Oski

Oski Member

7. jdovi

jdovi Member

I finally received my replacement Model S. Needless to say, I love it! Went for the P85 option this time around as well as several new options like performance seats, Alcantara headliner, red brake calipers, yacht floor, Spoiler.

Attached Files:

8. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Beautiful!

9. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P90DL

Love the look of those red calipers!

10. Ames

Ames Member

11. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

#111 Musterion, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Yes, the wrecked car not only saved the OP's life, but is getting its own second chance at life. Here's a news story posted today:
    This zippered VW Bus is getting a Tesla Model S drivetrain [w/video]

And Otmar himself is on TMC as was pointed out above: EV Hacker awaiting delivery of my first Model S
    (it is now delivered and you can watch the movie).

12. Pollux

Pollux Active Member

So glad you're OK! Thank you for sharing all this information.

Alan

13. GregHudson

GregHudson Member

WOW, now there's a claim Tesla can use... The first car designed by god !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. First into the intersection 'would' put you at greater risk of encountering a red light runner. So, there's another idea for a new feature... Cross traffic warnings for red light runners. I think Volvo already has this or something similar, so it would be neat to have it on the MS as well.
    Cheers, Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

If the turning driver drove into the 'correct' center lane, there would be little chance of being rear-ended by the bat out of hell driver.

14. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

LOL!

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am seeing this two years after your accident and am thankful that you are OK. I was in traffic court for a ticket that I am (successfully?) fighting and I was completely shocked at the number of people there for running reds. I was number 30 out of 120 and only two before me were there for speeding. There were 3 no licences and the rest were all from running the light. I learned a long time ago to look both ways at every intersection after almost being T-boned and this experience at court reinforced it completely. How many F-ing idiots are there out there? Way, way too many. Sorry for the harsh language, but it simply amazes me how many complete and utter self absorbed idiot morons there are in our country who take absolutely no ownership for their actions. I thank my parents for instilling different priorities in me.

I am thankful that you are OK and hope that you were able to either repair or replace your beautiful lady.

16. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

I agree with you 100% and checking both ways before entering an intersection (even when the lights are green as you approach) has saved me from an horrendous crash once when some loon just barrelled through a red light at a good 40 mph. Had I not seen him coming, we would have met in the middle and that, as they say, would have been that! Truth is, hardly anyone does. Next time you are on foot at a junction, just take a few moments and see how many drivers look left and right before entering the junction. It is hardly rocket science!

I simply cannot believe my eyes when I see people trusting their lives and that of their families to a simple tungsten lamp filament and/or the standard level of attention that most drivers afford their driving. Worse still are pedestrians on crossings - they seem to believe that the pretty lights and road markings of their crossing can suspend the Laws of Physics whilst they are in the road. They can't which is why when they are half-way across the road and haven't thought or bothered to look, they get wiped out by the driver who isn't looking either!

17. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Now my only question is what happens when a tesla gets into an accident with another tesla!!!

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Everyone walks away.

19. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Glad you'e ok and the car did a fine job. :) I'd much rather take an insurance payout (even if it's always slightly below FMV) than even spraining an ankle. Go Tesla.

- K

20. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

The unstoppable force vs. the immovable object!

(brings back memories of my wasted youth spent watching WWF)