TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jdovi, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mep

mep Member

Sorry, that is what I meant with "this driver", the MS Sig owner of the MS on fire as supposed to the MS owner who was in the crash reported in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe I meant the following story:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/04/tesla-model-s-battery-fire-musk-response/

There are so many stories out there. I am having a hard time finding it. Don't you think the last bit would suggest that the writer believes that the Seattle MS owner received a loaner because this case is so highly publicized? Why else would this be a spoiler alert? Maybe I am reading it wrong.

"There's even an email thread between the affected owner and Tesla's VP of sales and service at the source, too. Spoiler alert: The company offered the owner a white loaner model for the interim."

2. Kraken

Kraken Member

I'd agree it sounds like that. The comments on that article are the most negative of any article I've read. Dang. Most others had been more open to it showing how great the car is.... Evidently Engadget readers arent as friendly to tesla.

3. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I wouldn't say that they expedited a car for me. I had the opportunity to browse the list of loaner cars to find one similar in configuration to my original. Was "forced" to get an 85P vs my original 60kwh if I didn't want to wait two months. :)

4. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

I wonder how many drivers always check that there isn't some loon (cell phone users are the worst!) running a red light and about to spoil your day *every* time you approach a green light? I suppose only those who have had an accident or a near miss. Next time you are waiting at a red light, watch the drivers approaching on green and see how many bother to look.

To trust your life to either a light bulb filament or some of the crazy drivers you get using any intersection is taking a belief in 'fate' a bit far in my view.

Start doing it today (if you don't already) and get into the habit of always doing it.

5. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

I hate to be this way but the accident looks pretty minor. I mean let's not go overboard with "Model S saved my life". The other car's windshield didn't break either and it was an older compact car. It probably weighed 1/2 what the Model S weighs.

Sure the other driver might have went to the hospital but is unlikely to have had any injuries other than airbag face abrasions - which always look dramatic but do nothing.

Both cars had crumple zones that work as planned and make accidents look really dramatic.

Now if the Model S had been hit at the driver door and the story was the same, this would be worth something.

The battery fire issue created a ridiculous article on Seeking Alpha. The car is very safe. I just want to point out these pictures don't really show an accident that proves the vehicle is very safe.

6. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I agree that we haven't seen what the Model S can do yet. We'll just have to wait and see how the Model S handles a small overlap head-on collision at 70 mph with an SUV. (Or something similar.) Most probably the Model S would handle it quite well, but until we actually have such an incident there are no real-world incidents to really silence the nay-sayers.

7. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#67 SwedishAdvocate, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    In this accident with a Honda Accord the two people in the Honda died. And the crumple zone on the S seems to be gone. Doesn’t that count like such a real world incident?

8. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It is of course the most extreme incident yet - but as the naysayers repeatedly point out, it was a really old car weighing little more than half of what the Model S does. We need an incident where you have a modern, heavy SUV is involved in a similar incident with a Model S.

Or better yet, a 2013 BMW M5, where all the occupants are killed in the M5 while the occupants of the Model S walk away with minor bruises. (Not that I'm hoping something like that would happen, but that's what it would take to shut up the naysayers.)

9. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Thanks to all for sharing their pictures and stories of how there Model S fared in an accident. Makes us all thankful we have this car!!

10. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

How about a telephone pole and a Model S...

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you spend time on other car forums this does not see unusual at all.

12. arondaniel

arondaniel Il Sessanta Caricato

Great point. Sometimes it's not good to be the first car into the intersection.

13. Takumi

Takumi Member

"Head injuries are one of the most common causes of disability and death in adults. The injury can be as mild as a bump, bruise (contusion), or cut on the head, or can be moderate to severe in nature due to a concussion, deep cut or open wound, fractured skull bone(s), or from internal bleeding and damage to the brain."

Please don't treat head injuries lightly. Too many stories out there of a "slight" bump to the head ending in death.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I agree with David (the title of this thread is grossly exaggerated), but you also make a good point. Plenty of stories of small bumps ending later in death due to some unseen damage. I'd always get one checked out.

15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Sometimes it's not good to be the first car into the intersection. [arondaniel]

IBOOH.jpg

Beware of the lane choice not already blocked by dead steel. If you make the unblocked choice, stop to peer down the empty alleyway for the dreaded IBOOH!!

Drive your MS like you were on a motorcycle. :scared:
    --

16. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#76 PhilBa, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    @Jdovi, glad to hear you are ok.

In the Seattle area, I have noticed what appears to be an increase in running red lights. While I am seeing a significant increase in "tailgaters" (people who try to squeeze through the light as it's turning red), I've also seen an increase in people who just don't see the red. There's an intersection near my fiance's house where it's really bad. It's the first stop light at the end of a freeway and the left turn light cycles after the "freeway green" has changed to red. Left turning traffic crosses 2 lanes of potentially 60 mph traffic. The left turn is also 2 lanes so the left most lane can't see the on-coming traffic very well when the right one starts turning left. I have seen several people that just don't see the red and blow through the intersection at full speed. I also saw one near head-on collision. I am extremely wary of this intersection.

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

18. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Yeah, I was pointing out the severity of the accident and the way the Model S fared.
    Although perhaps I should have been more verbose. I'll remember that, I'll try to be more verbose. :)

19. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Aren't you redundantly saying again what you just said before, over and over; just like you just said? :biggrin:

20. EvERES22

EvERES22 Member

I'm very glad that you are OK. Thank you very much for sharing this story -- I'm in complete agreement with you... the Model S is the safest commercial vehicle on the road today.