Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Imfamouns Tire Wear Solution!! (2021+ Model S LR/ Plaid ) w/ EVPE shims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously they want to sell more product while putting the responsibility on the owner to DIY a half-baked close enough blind adjustment. You just going to assume its balanced and within spec before adjustment?

Spend the $200 or less on an alignment with any tire shop chain and get it done right. You'll extend the life of your tires, balance the handling of the vehicle and improve your range efficiency...

What more reasons do you need for so little cost? With shims alone (pre-refresh needs toe arms as well) and an alignment you can potentially double or more the life of your tires saving $1000+ every cycle... pays for itself in no time.
Sure yeah I probably will also get an alignment but hearing it isn’t needed makes it seem closer to something I can install and at least then get to the shop in.

It doesn't work like that. You are shooting in the dark. Alignment matters. A lot! You need special equipment to do it right.

I'm not shooting anything. You're preaching to the choir. I'm someone who's had 3 alignments in 4 months.

I didn't say I agree with MacBoosts policy, just confirming they tell you how many turns to give the toe adjust.

Reactions: groovyd
We think Tesla added more camber to the rear for a purpose. They need to design the car for everyone, not just for drivers with high-level skills. It makes sense for the car to come out of the box with alignment settings leaning toward understeer, as understeer is easier to correct compared to oversteer.

With thicker shims, lateral G will definitely be sacrificed. However, this does not mean the car will corner any worse since the front has limited traction from the beginning, as we mentioned earlier. From my personal experience with silver shims, the car still understeers into a corner if it's push it hard enough.
I think Tesla runs more negative rear camber to make the car safer with more rear grip in a corner, and as stated, under steer is safer. Has anyone run the Tesla model S plaid on a skid pad to see what it really does cornering and how much understeer it really has from the factory? Then add the shims and run a skid pad test again. That would tell the difference.

I have spent enough time on race tracks in various cars with different set ups, to know that a skid pad takes variables out of the equation and can set your base line. I own a 24 S Plaid, and it seems to push a little at the limit, taking away some understeer might cause snap oversteer at the limit which would bite an unsuspecting driver (potentially).