Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impression of the Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually don't think that's how it is.

i posted a video on this a few post back. If anyone really wants to educate themselves instead of just making stuff up, that is probably the best information video you can watch on EV EPA numbers.

edit: I didn’t mean to sound like I was calling you out or saying you were making things up. Yours just happened to be the most recent post about EPA numbers. I see a lot of misinformation about this everywhere.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Having followed the Porsche for probably a year now, I'd say - go for it!

Tesla needs to make some tangible improvements to interiors and overall fit and finish. Cheaping out on basic physical controls is a step in the wrong direction, imo.

Also, for those quoting the Taycan Turbo price - that isn't a great value. The 4S makes a lot more sense, and the RWD seems to be the enthusiast choice. Pretty soon you're in a very similar $ ballpark to the Model S.

Reactions: InternetDude
i posted a video on this a few post back. If anyone really wants to educate themselves instead of just making stuff up, that is probably the best information video you can watch on EV EPA numbers.

edit: I didn’t mean to sound like I was calling you out or saying you were making things up. Yours just happened to be the most recent post about EPA numbers. I see a lot of misinformation about this everywhere.
Watched the video and it explained really well how the testing is done, but it really doesn't touch on why the Porsche gets better range in the real world when it has worse efficiency. A lot of the tests with the Taycan have been on the hwy I want to see a full city driving test

Watched the video and it explained really well how the testing is done, but it really doesn't touch on why the Porsche gets better range in the real world when it has worse efficiency. A lot of the tests with the Taycan have been on the hwy I want to see a full city driving test

Ultimately, I believe the EPA should also do say a 75mph test and rate how many miles it will go. This will at least provide some context and set expectations better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8down
I have to say it. It is interesting that a devotee on his second Tesla over 8 years has his first post. I mean I totally get that some people are car forum people and some are not - but I also wouldn't give a first time poster any automatic credibility.

The English is imperfect also - and sloppy punctuation/capitalization which isn't language dependent. I expect the average 2013 new Tesla buyer from Arizona to have more perfect English. I mean who knew 'LEXUS' was all caps?

It isn't the first report that the Taycan has better range than expected. I am sure I wouldn't cry if given one either. But this post lacks credibility.

i'm a tesla devotee, I'm on my THIRD model S, and my god i want the taycan so bad. i dont think there will be a 4th, as long as i can find a used taycan thats reasonable. i may actually use my tesla stock gains for it because im not confident anymore

tesla only gone downhill from here.

Wow, that's cool to hear. I love the Audi GT Electric, which is basically the same car as the Taycan, but in my opinion, much better looking. The range estimates scared me a little. But, if Porsche/Audi is like Chevy and others, they post REAL WORLD range estimates. Probably so their customers aren't disappointed and don't have countless message boards filled up by owners asking "what's wrong with my Tesla, range is way off" comments.

Audi GT may be my next car if that holds up. Such a beautiful car. I love my Tesla and have had many of them since 2013. Growing tired of looking at basically the same exact looking car. The revised Model S interior is upgraded, but other than a few minor exterior changes, still looks like the same car as my 2012 did. The only chance Tesla has at keeping me at this point is if they miraculously release a "usable" version of FSD that I've paid for on three cars now and still haven't gotten anything for those purchases. Audi & Porsche have lane keeping systems, which is the only feature I use in the Tesla anyway.

Charging stations are popping up all over the place for all EV's, so long distance travel is no longer exclusive to just Tesla. I hope Tesla surprises me in the next year when I'll be ready for my next car. Otherwise, this may be the last one until an ALL NEW Model S comes out, rather than just a refreshed version. No knock on Tesla. I'm used to getting something new every 2-3 years and despite having several new Tesla's still feel like I'm driving the same car. Simply, ready to look at something different sitting in the garage. I wanted the Roadster, but that's been delayed indefinitely. Would have considered the Truck, until I saw what the Cyber Truck looked like. Can't get there on that thing. They have a year, one can only hope. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I have to say it. It is interesting that a devotee on his second Tesla over 8 years has his first post. I mean I totally get that some people are car forum people and some are not - but I also wouldn't give a first time poster any automatic credibility.

The English is imperfect also - and sloppy punctuation/capitalization which isn't language dependent. I expect the average 2013 new Tesla buyer from Arizona to have more perfect English. I mean who knew 'LEXUS' was all caps?

It isn't the first report that the Taycan has better range than expected. I am sure I wouldn't cry if given one either. But this post lacks credibility.

Good catch. Also, how many people have actually bought all these brands? Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, LEXUS.

It reads like marketing copy too.

• Informative
Reactions: NickInLab
I think its edmunds or someone does a 70mph test. I saw it recently. That's at least closer, but I agree 75 is needed.
70 or 75 it doesn’t really matter. But the edmunds test isn’t standardize type test. Too many variables (wind, temp, etc). Has to be some sort of controlled environment/test and go from 100% until battery is dead. I don’t know the answer but I am assuming all of this hemming and hawing over EPA EV range will disappear as EVs are more common and understood. It’s not like any of my gas cars got the EPA rated mpg. Too many variable.

I think what some people have a problem with, is EPA's testing methodology. But yet, they want to blame Tesla for the finalized Tesla EPA #'s that the EPA themselves, have approved/certified. Yall are hating the player (Tesla) instead of hating the game(EPA methodology).

Also, for some of yall that are thinking these third party charging stations are the equivalent of the Supercharging network? You might want to watch some of the real world youtube videos of the experiences many have with these third party stations. Half the time they arent working properly, maps not updated to show which ones arent actually active/in use, which ones are located on some sort of locked facility after hours, very slow speeds.

Owning the (much more expensive, yet slower than a Plaid) Taycan seems like a great idea...until the long road trip experience comes into play.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'm looking forward to testing the Taycan soon..but, keep in mind that Taycan Turbo is over $180K, and you could buy a spare S100D for the difference in price.
So, I would expect nothing less that better quality and superior range and functionality for an extra $90K. Add to that the lack of a dedicated high speed national charging network, no autopilot (even at it's current development level, I find it awesme and use it every day), and questionable long term OTA software feature upgrade ability, and the price difference becomes more dramatic. Let's see what happens when the Lucid shows up later this year as well...
I just today ordered a really superbly equipped Taycan 4S, which has better range than the Turbo, with the big battery, premium metallic white paint, knock out gorgeous red leather interior, tech package, premium package, and lots of other options for-for $129k pre tax out the door. Consider the $7500 tax credit in this not far off the cost of a Plaid. Plus Porsches have the highest resale in the industry. Plus the car has this really, really wierd blind spot warning system - it’s in the WING mirrors-have you ever heard of such a thing? And spectacular HUD which also has BSW.

I think what some people have a problem with, is EPA's testing methodology. But yet, they want to blame Tesla for the finalized Tesla EPA #'s that the EPA themselves, have approved/certified. Yall are hating the player (Tesla) instead of hating the game(EPA methodology).

Also, for some of yall that are thinking these third party charging stations are the equivalent of the Supercharging network? You might want to watch some of the real world youtube videos of the experiences many have with these third party stations. Half the time they arent working properly, maps not updated to show which ones arent actually active/in use, which ones are located on some sort of locked facility after hours, very slow speeds.

Owning the (much more expensive, yet slower than a Plaid) Taycan seems like a great idea...until the long road trip experience comes into play.

Electrify America has an excellent reliability record and the Taycan charges faster than the Tesla. Importantly, TeslaTap sells a $250 adapter that lets the Taycan charge at any Tesla HPWC Destinstion charger, which is what all the hotels and resorts have. This is huge.

I just mapped a 1600 mile drive from Arizona to Indiana on ABRP. It takes the S and the 4S on the identical route, and the 4S takes slightly less time and makes one less charge stop. The S of course uses SCs and the 4S EMs.

And we’ve all seen our share of dead units at SCs.

Just gonna push back on the EA reliability, as I use it exclusively now that we sold our Tesla and that is counter to my experience over many big trips.

Check out the Taycan cannonball record video, including the pre-trip chat.

Otherwise agree. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: 2101Guy
Electrify America has an excellent reliability record and the Taycan charges faster than the Tesla. Importantly, TeslaTap sells a $250 adapter that lets the Taycan charge at any Tesla HPWC Destinstion charger, which is what all the hotels and resorts have. This is huge.

I just mapped a 1600 mile drive from Arizona to Indiana on ABRP. It takes the S and the 4S on the identical route, and the 4S takes slightly less time and makes one less charge stop. The S of course uses SCs and the 4S EMs.

And we’ve all seen our share of dead units at SCs.
Lol at excellent reliability record

Reactions: SO16
Yeah, right after FSD Level 5.

Probably before FSD Level 5, since thats more of a pipe dream than opening up superchargers to generate revenue would be.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf