Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impression of the Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but efficient long distance travel belongs to Teslas using the Supercharger network. Proven reliable.

And good luck finding a third party DCFC that works and delivers anywhere near the max.

A good read from a long time Tesla owner and very knowledgeable EV driver.

Drove 223 miles one way this week in 2020 Taycan Turbo - Santa Cruz to Willows, CA + a short lunch detour next to free way (In/Out FTW)

Left Le Selva Beach, ca home 100% SOC
Arrived Willow, Ca 16% SOC

Had a miraculous EA experience @ Willows Wall Mart 350 kW station
charging America app - free charging session
plug in @ 16% SOC - charge rate jumps to 249 kW
go inside for some light shopping
come out 23 minutes later 84% SOC

my Teslas have never ever on any day charged that fast - in my 8 years of supercharging experience (2013 Model S P85 to today w/2017 Model X P100D)

drive was done in range mode on the Taycan
trip was done via: Hwy 1 North, 17 north, 880 North, 680 North, 80 East, 505 North, I-5 North - speed limits or +5 mph over the entire trip - 3 to 7 “burst mode” let’s get around this slow car - touching speeds of 100 mph+ (I love me a good EV) - back to normal speeds.
temperatures were mild 60’s/low 70’s - traffic was flowing to slight slight slight congestion
ACC + LKA most of the way
AC set to 68F

221 miles / 84% SOC used = 265 miles estimated SOC 0% range - this is not the first time 260-270 miles range on my Taycan is the number I’ve achieved during a trip
I don’t remember the wh/mile number, but I did check it- and it was better than 333 wh/mile - I remember this because 333 wh/mile is exactly 3 miles per kWh efficiency - I noted from onboard computer I was doing better than 333 wh/mile, after that I didn’t care - it was not below 300 wh/mile, and it better than 333 wh/mile…

the Taycan Turbo that I have 9000 miles on is a SOLID 250 mile per full charge EV - 270-290 if you really really baby it - 210 miles if you drive it like you stole it.

the EPA number is just wrong - like the EPA number for Tesla is just wrong, but in a different way.

Taycan return trip was identical - left Thurderhill raceway with 100% SOC (thank you NEMA 14-50 RV plugs) - drove 243 miles (due to detour in Fremont) - arrive home at 11% SOC - 243 / 89% SOC = 273 miles estimated 0% SOC range.

if you’re not getting at least 240 miles range in a Taycan you’re doing it wrong - or simply not trying.

now about Tesla and EPA ratings…

I’ve owned 5 Teslas (never more than 2 at once), Model S P85, Model S P85D, Model X P90D, Model X P100D, Model 3 Performance - you never get the EPA Range - drove once from Button willow raceway to home in San jose - left BW 100% SOC - distance to San Jose home 190 miles or less - EPA range rating for my ‘18 Model 3 Performance 248 miles - arrived in San Jose @ 3% SOC - this was after some very very careful driving in mild conditions - at or below speed limits

EPA range says 248 miles
Elon’s onboard trip computer estimated 6% SOC at destination - arrived with 3% SOC
190 miles / 97% SOC = 195 miles total range

EVEN Tesla’s OWN navigation software “KNOWS” you will not achieve EPA numbers - I know this because I’ve always found the Tesla nav software battery SOC % estimate to be useful and accurate, but it has never once ever in it’s entire life matched the EPA rating when estimating a segment for navigation.

Reactions: designrs
Makes sense after owning several Teslas.

the real question, what will former Taycan owners purchase? Too early to know that answer.

that is the beauty of the situation the EV world is now in and will be evolving to, more manufacturers making more and different vehicles that are expanding the options from only a tesla, leaf or bmw to now more than a dozen different choices.

competition spurs innovation and lowers costs.

this taycan owner is waiting for the taycan convertible coupe.

When you compare total trip times (driving + charging), I think the Taycan is the fastest EV on the market. Of course this assumes reliable chargers. From my experience in two test drives, this is also the quietest and most comfortable EV.
That depends on the trip, of course. I'd love to see a Taycan can do Fremont -> Hawthorne nonstop, like this. 360 miles should be easy for a Taycan 4S driving the speed limit in range mode, right?

This is such an odd twist. It should be assumed that EPA range means range before hitting zero.
Gas cars typically have at least a gallon (roughly 25-30 miles) with the needle on empty. "Distance to empty" meters usually show something like "low" instead of a numerical mileage estimate with less than a gallon remaining. Having a bit of reserve in the "tank" is expected behavior for most drivers.

Since the topic of this thread is Porsche, let me ask you this: Isn't one of Porsche's claims to fame that they under-promise and over-deliver? Isn't a car over-delivering if the guess-o-meter says "0" when you really have 25 miles left?

How many Taycans were sold in 2020 vs Model S's? I assume since the Taycan was new and Model S at end of it's pre-refresh cycle, that the Taycan sold in much much higher #'s, correct?

More than 20,000 taycans. Looks like 17,500 Model S?

The Taycan was in production ramp in 2020 as well.

That depends on the trip, of course. I'd love to see a Taycan can do Fremont -> Hawthorne nonstop, like this. 360 miles should be easy for a Taycan 4S driving the speed limit in range mode, right?
I'm not sure it could comfortably do one stop, but when I plugged it in ABRP for my own planning it yielded quicker trip times than my Model 3 with aero covers. I currently drive an e-tron and the charge curve is ridiculous (150kW flat from low SoC to 80%, then it tapers to 100 kW or so). The Taycan is even better. I'm not going to pretend like the EA network is as reliable as the Superchargers though.
Normally the Porsche is fitted with some uber fat sticky tires. Bjorn did a test with an aero setup (available from their site) and it did really well. On long trips comfort and quietness are critical, so it would be my choice even if it had a little less range.
Gas cars typically have at least a gallon (roughly 25-30 miles) with the needle on empty. "Distance to empty" meters usually show something like "low" instead of a numerical mileage estimate with less than a gallon remaining. Having a bit of reserve in the "tank" is expected behavior for most drivers.

Since the topic of this thread is Porsche, let me ask you this: Isn't one of Porsche's claims to fame that they under-promise and over-deliver? Isn't a car over-delivering if the guess-o-meter says "0" when you really have 25 miles left?

If that range were not part of the rated range, then yes that would be overdelivering. By including 25 miles past 0% with the EPA estimate I think they're being deceptive. Virtually nobody will ever access that bit of range.

Would you continue to drive a car that says 0% battery / 0 miles? Why not include a modest buffer and include that extra range above 0%?

So with a gas car, you are told MPG and how big the tank is. Multiply through two to get the possible range. But yet often the gas gauge reads empty before the tank is. I don’t see how Tesla’s gauge method is much different.

That being said, I’d rather have the gauge be zero when it’s actually zero. I can see how this would be a bit tougher to judge with an EV though.

Reactions: NickInLab
I’m on my second S and have been an owner and devoteé since 2013. I was curious about the Taycan given Porsche’s formidable history of superb engineering and quality. So I did a test drive.

I was blown away. In terms of fit, finish, handling and overall quality, this car is orders of magnitude better than anything I have ever owned (Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, LEXUS).
But what about range? I told the salesman that while I loved the car and the way it drove, I didn’t think it would meet my range needs. We have a second home 195 miles way which involves a 6800 foot vertical climb. Driving 10 miles over my 330 mile range S 100 D consumes 290 miles of range. To make a long story short, they leant me a used 2020 Turbo to test it. My wife followed me in case it couldn’t make it.

I was stunned by the results. In terms of range the Porsche out performed my Tesla. I arrived with 50 miles of range left -better than my S100D. Porsche truly under promises and over delivers.

This is far , far different than a Tesla, a completely different concept. It is a Porsche with electric motors (and a two speed transmission!)-100% Porsche. When Apple came out with the iPhone it was not a new telephone it was an entirely new product segment. That’s what Musk with Tesla. He didn’t just take a car and put electric motors in it he designed a entirely new electric vehicle. Much different.
I cannot agree with this more.We had the same experience.

And the Turbo S is even a better drive. And the Turbo not that much less than a our first S. I can’t wait to see what VW Group starts producing once they’re a few iterations in like Tesla.

I can’t wait till my 4S is delivered in July. I’ll never forget the exhilaration of moving from an Ice car to the Tesla. But now when I drive the Tesla after driving the Taycan, it feels like a cheaply built bus with video games And fart noises. The Taycan 4S is exhilarating to experience, seats hug your kidneys and the car’s g-forces are sick! It is truly unfair to compare any Tesla modes to the Taycan , a car in its own league. Sorry, no comparison- period. Not only handling : when compared to the Tesla, everything you touch on the inside is rich in materiality and contrast and the details lead to a very luxurious /sporty experience. The Taycan feels like a true Porsche with so much design, engineering and manufacturing perfection. The difference in overall build quality is extraordinary.

And now Mercedes is coming out with a spectacular EQS. If that car is priced like the S series-starting around 100 K – who will buy a MS?

Reactions: mk677
And now Mercedes is coming out with a spectacular EQS.
And who do we have to thank for ?
If your answer is Daimler Benz, VW (Porsche's owner) or any of the old car manufacturers, guess again.
It’s thanks to a bunch of engineers believing in the electric car 100% and with a vision to really make it work (SuC, Performance, Looks and Fun - away from the likes of Nissan and their Leaf (*)).
But also to those customers that joined their mission and bought the Roadster and later the S and X, coping with the shortcomings of a startup car company, but anyway enjoying great cars.
Your first post would show that you were one of them too, so thanks for that.

That being said, I’m very happy that Mercedes, The VW group (so your Taycan) and more are finally coming with proposals that are attracting customers to EV cars.

who will buy a MS?

I'm not worried: plenty of customers will.
The loyalists that remember Tesla made it happen. But that's a small group indeed.
Many more that will just like Tesla cars and the package it comes with (eg Autopilot, SuC, Fun with Fart, ...).

You might think I'm one of those exceptions that got a lucky car with zero issues and just is unaware of the reality. I'm not.
My buddy at the SeC has been embarrassed since 2015 that I had to come, in his opinion, so often to fix things (a lot the initial years, while under warranty, and some more now out of warranty door handles, MCU1, sway bars...).
My answer was and still is that I'm actually just lucky to be able to be a small part in this journey and that driving the car is so rewarding, it makes up for the teething problems.
I have still my Tesla grin, out of the fun being behind a Tesla wheel, but that grin has grown even more as I see more EVs on the road.

(*) I've the biggest respect for those customers driving Leaf as they also are believers. But I think that Nissan's proposal is not meant to convert customers to electric cars: quirky looks, no solution for long distance travels, performance below ICE cars, while electric motors are superior...).

there will be plenty of people who will buy a tesla, the cost differences alone will deter many from the porsche or MB.
just like in the world before EVs there are many car manufacturers building many different cars that are all very different in looks, performance and interior luxuries. the new world of EVs will be the same. some people will trade price for less performance and amenities.

I think alot of people will be put off by Porsche dealerships. Having owned Porsches, Audis, Mercedes and currently BMW's I found Porsche dealerships the most offensive and entitled, snobbish establishments in the automotive world. I refuse to own Porsches for that reason. Just go to a Porsche club meet or go on Rennlist to get a taste of what some people have had to endure. Porsche limits and protects its dealers so you have no choice but dealing with your local dealer. The cars are great but the dealers in the US are a bunch of jerks.

I think alot of people will be put off by Porsche dealerships. Having owned Porsches, Audis, Mercedes and currently BMW's I found Porsche dealerships the most offensive and entitled, snobbish establishments in the automotive world. I refuse to own Porsches for that reason. Just go to a Porsche club meet or go on Rennlist to get a taste of what some people have had to endure. Porsche limits and protects its dealers so you have no choice but dealing with your local dealer. The cars are great but the dealers in the US are a bunch of jerks.
As a long-time Porsche owner, I agree with your assessment of their dealers. Let's hope that the dealers start to change with the rapid migration to EVs.

Reactions: EMDoc
Thankfully my local dealer is the exact opposite of the stereotype. The most welcoming and professional staff I or my family have EVER encountered. (2 vehicles ordered from them in the last 7 months.)

Porsche owners for over 2 decades and we have had unsettling experience with dealers in the past. The dealers that are phenomenal really stand out.

Reactions: BlindPass
Thankfully my local dealer is the exact opposite of the stereotype. The most welcoming and professional staff I or my family have EVER encountered. (2 vehicles ordered from them in the last 7 months.)

Porsche owners for over 2 decades and we have had unsettling experience with dealers in the past. The dealers that are phenomenal really stand out.
In my experience, anyone not put off by Tesla won’t be put off at all by Porsche dealer culture. Far more welcoming and professional than dealing with Tesla.

I'm sure many of you came from luxury ice vehicles before making the switch. What makes a porsche more luxurious than a Tesla? For my money i find the seats in the Tesla to be just as comfortable as any luxury car and the sound system to be far better. There are certainly less buttons and the one giant screen isn't for everyone.

I consider driving a tesla a luxury experience. It is more like a modern/minimalist luxury home rather than a cheesecake factory style luxury home.