Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive Anti-Elon Attack Ad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't mean to offend you, but geez, if you have a discussion over an Internet forum, don't be surprised if someone doesn't quite understand the exact nuances of your argument.

Fair enough. I feel that TMC is a different world than the rest, because many of us are sort of "known" here, but I suppose that could apply anywhere. I just don't want to be associated with the idea that the voting public is somehow "stupid".

I'm still not sure what your position is via a vis the Elon ad though. You originally said there is a problem with selectively informing the electorate about your particular side since "you're just following the lead of whomever selectively provided that information". And then you backup this assertion in your second post saying that it is very hard to become an expert in every policy. So what's your conclusion and/or solution then? My conclusion is, so what? Yeah, those are problems, but I don't know how to fix them without creating a bigger problem of restricting speech.

Is your actual proposed solution an evidence based party? That won't work and I think you also agree it won't.

Not all problems have solutions...

I didn't take a position on the Elon ad except that I found it foolish. I certainly didn't want to take any action except to give it a thumbs down.

The reason for my response to your post (which started our misunderstanding) was that you seemed dismissive of the linked article and the PowerPoint presentation it referenced. My understanding was that you thought it was good that the oil/gas industry had a mission to inform more people about things like cap-and-trade, because it meant the electorate was then "more informed." This is true to some degree, but to "meh" the article that points out they're doing so seemed lopsided to me.

The other point I was trying to make was that 57% of the electorate knowing about an issue isn't a bad number. One cannot expect every person to be informed about every subject. The 57% are probably more vested in that particular policy decision. There are similar groups who are motivated by other policy decisions. As a collective the electorate then becomes well-rounded, but to single out individual voters and assume they should know about every issue is unrealistic in my view.

And you're right, I realize an evidence based party wouldn't motivate people. I love this "mantra" which drives that point home.

WhatDoWeWant_sign.jpg

Put it this way, I don't mind that the oil/gas industry puts out their partisan self interested talking points. I don't like it when they or others use underhanded tactics of pretending to be what they aren't, but everyone seems to do this to a certain degree (yes, even the climate change folks), and the correct antidote to that is to expose it when it happens.

57% of the electorate knowing/not knowing about a gay marriage law may not matter so much since it only directly affects a relatively small number of people. But cap and trade affects everyone, and in non obvious ways. I do agree that 57% of the population knowing something about any particular issue is actually a victory and difficult to accomplish :)

They don't get all that electricity back out of the system to deliver to another customer.

As a person with solar panels I can tell you that the excess electricity produces does all get used. It goes right out my wire and right next door. I imagine in a world where most houses have solar panels that might be different but I'm the only house out of hundreds if not thousands in my neighborhood that has solar panels. In my opinion the real thread to the utilities is the lost revenue. Here in Michigan about 20,000+ homes have gone solar but if that number rises to 100k or 200k that would mean a significant loss of revenue.