Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You used the wrong connector, find the other one farther up on the harness. The one you found is the Ambient lighting connector.

Also, you don't need to remove the bolts from the top to pop the bottom off a few inches. The door panel is flexible.

Thanks! I switched to the other connector and now it works properly. I had tried the other one the first time, but it had no power so I thought it was the wrong one. I guess it had just timed out.

And I found it was easier to remove the 3 bolts at the top to allow the panel to come away more at the bottom. You're right that you could do it without removing them, but it's a pretty tight space to work in.

My problem is with the rear trunk lights. I have a 2015 85D and there are no cutouts or indentations that I can make out. There is a large triangular cutout on the top rear of either side of the liftgate that sits higher than the charge port wires. Any ideas?

There's a picture on the AO web site looking from the inside of the trunk out the rear of the car. It shows the location of the cutouts clearly. Just push with your thumb around that approximate area and you'll feel it give when you hit it.

Peter_M,

Ok, after reading your write-up I gave it a try for the rear door puddle lights. Your notes and the video were very helpful. I did remove the 3 bolts. I used Pete's spudger from the website and I also used a few bike plastic tire tools to pry the housing up. As the video showed, I ran the spudger and the tire tools down the sides from the top and worked on popping the bottom out first. The first door was a little scary (especially when you hear the pop) but it went well. I ended up cutting the fabric with a steak knife (just to get the hole started), scissors, and box cutter. As you said, the housing kind of guides you into the correct size as you cut the fabric.

Then everything went back together pretty easy (did pop out one of the clips and had to put it back). I now have installed all 12 lights. Looks great, especially for a car that didn't have the premium lights before.

- C

I just added rear footwell and rear puddle lights in my car that didn't have either. Thanks to everyone here for the tips, pictures and videos - they all helped. I've got a few more tips to offer:

• The right side of the bracket for the rear footwell light has a slot that slides over a metal motor bracket that is welded to the bar. This aligns and centres the light bracket under the seat (thanks, Neil_S, for this)
  • To change the rear puddle lights, I removed the 3 bolts at the top and pop the panel away from the door (following this video), but didn't remove the panel from the door. There's enough room to see and reach inside with the panel still hanging from its top edge, and this avoids the need to undo and redo all the connectors.
  • The connector you want for the rear puddle light (if you don't already have one) is taped to the wire right next to the red door light. You can just pull the loop of wire away and it's long enough to reach the puddle light hole. I didn't try, but it might be possible to do all this by popping the red light out and fishing the puddle light wire through to its hole, without taking the door panel off.
  • Cutting the hole for the rear puddle lights is easier than it looks. There is already a hole of the right size in the solid plastic door panel; all you need to cut is the vinyl "fabric" over the hole. So just stick a sharp knife into the middle of the dent and cut the fabric away out to the edge of the hole in the plastic.

Thanks, Pete, for a great upgrade!

Peter_M,

Ok, after reading your write-up I gave it a try for the rear door puddle lights. Your notes and the video were very helpful. I did remove the 3 bolts. I used Pete's spudger from the website and I also used a few bike plastic tire tools to pry the housing up. As the video showed, I ran the spudger and the tire tools down the sides from the top and worked on popping the bottom out first. The first door was a little scary (especially when you hear the pop) but it went well. I ended up cutting the fabric with a steak knife (just to get the hole started), scissors, and box cutter. As you said, the housing kind of guides you into the correct size as you cut the fabric.

Then everything went back together pretty easy (did pop out one of the clips and had to put it back). I now have installed all 12 lights. Looks great, especially for a car that didn't have the premium lights before.

- C

Great. I hope you saw my follow-up that I had used the wrong connector. The right one is closer to the puddle light hole, not the one taped to the red light wire.

Just to pile on to what both Peter_M and Bozie have mentioned (both very helpful, guys!), adding the rear puddle lights is not all that difficult if you have a nylon pry tool to pop off the door panel. I elected to just pop off the bottom portion instead of dealing with the 3 bolts on the top of the door and, while it was tight, I had enough room. Just a few more datapoints:

Unfortunately, you can not grab the puddle light plug by removing the red safety light. The purple wire and corresponding connector taped here is for the ambient lighting.

RedSafety.jpg

Once you pop the door panel, you'll see the puddle light connector taped to some other wires. Oddly, for me, this was green on the driver's side and white on the passenger side. You'll need to either cut the tape with an exacto knife / box cutter or unwrap the tape. As Peter_M and Bozie mentioned, cutting out the puddle light hole is actually really easy as you only need to cut through the vinyl covering. Once that's done, fish through the connector and pop back on the panel.

Puddle wire.jpg

My before and after shots:

Before.jpg

After.jpg

I've installed the rear hatch light and front boot (frunk) light - what an improvement! I didn't order the premium lighting package but can feel indents for the extra lights in the rear boot (trunk). Before I start pulling things apart, I'm assuming that I'll have to cut a corresponding hole in the rear carpet but what about the indentation I can feel for the light behind the carpet? Do I need to cut a hole or does it just press out? I'm assuming that the wiring is somewhere behind it and I'll have to fish it out.

I've installed the rear hatch light and front boot (frunk) light - what an improvement! I didn't order the premium lighting package but can feel indents for the extra lights in the rear boot (trunk). Before I start pulling things apart, I'm assuming that I'll have to cut a corresponding hole in the rear carpet but what about the indentation I can feel for the light behind the carpet? Do I need to cut a hole or does it just press out? I'm assuming that the wiring is somewhere behind it and I'll have to fish it out.

I was able to cut holes in the carpet with a pair of scissors (carefully, following the edges of the cutout area). The wiring is behind the carpet. I pulled back the carpet starting from the top and was able to access the wiring (it's taped to some other wires, you need to carefully remove the tape to route the wire and connector to where the light will go). I personally wanted to look behind the carpet before cutting holes, but theoretically you can do it the other way too. The installation guide on the Abstract Ocean Web site gives some pretty good instructions:

Ultra Bright Interior Lights - Installation Guide

(Another school of thought is not to pull on the carpet but to loosen the plastic trim. There is discussion of both of these upthread.)

One other thought: You probably have a RHD car. Presumably the wiring harness is just a mirror image of that for LHD cars.

I have never made any modifications to any car before my Model S (in 30 years of driving). If I can do this, pretty much anybody can.

I've got them installed in my RHD. Only the right one was slightly interesting as they had tied the wiring right in the way of the light.
Anyway, if you use scissors or write cutters along the carpet you'll find it should be held in place in just not or two small spots. I cut the top edge and then folded the rest over for a nice fit.

This is the bit I'm not clear about

It's sorta like saying "Step 1, remove the engine". I like to have a clear idea of what is involved and what tools I'll need first. How do I remove the punch-outs?
I found I could just push on the right spot in the carpet with my finger and the punch-out piece came out, leaving a hole of the right size. No cutting required. The connectors were taped to another wire quite close to the hole behind the carpet. I'd suggest just pulling the carpet back rather than removing the plastic trim. Less work and less that can go wrong.

It's sorta like saying "Step 1, remove the engine". I like to have a clear idea of what is involved and what tools I'll need first. How do I remove the punch-outs?

The first thing to do is to try to pull down the carpet to attempt to find the wires and 2-pin connectors. While doing this, you'll be able to see where the pre-scored punch out is for the lights from the inside of the carpet. It's secured by about 4 small connection points that you just need to cut out with a box cutter or knife.

The wire and clip will be secured by some thin light blue tape. Many people try to unwrap this but I just cut the tape by running a blade over it lightly a few times.

Pulling down the driver side (left) carpet was quite easy and allowed me plenty of room to maneuver, find the connector, etc. The passenger side (right) was more difficult due to the subwoofer. I'm not seeing Premium Audio in your signature but, if you're having issues pulling the carpet down far enough, you can pop the carpet opening out from the outside, hook the clip up to a wire coat hanger, and fish it through relatively easily.

I've found the best way is to just start playing around; you'll find it's actually quite easy and even a little bit of fun.

Hi Pete,
Let me say that the reason that I could not find the 2 cutouts for the lights in the back (not the hatch. Did that and the results are great!) is that I must need a new prescription for my glasses!!!! I looked again yesterday and there they are clear as day. I'm going to wait for the weather to warm back into the 40's before I finish up.
Thanks!