Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car browser to get updated to Chromium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have:

- MCU1 (early 2013)
- 3G
- LCD screen bubbles that started a few months back
- Indications I _may_ be starting to have flash memory reliability issues

I have been hoping the rumored new LCD screen replacement part coming this summer would arrive in time for me to tackle the LCD and flash replacement at the same time myself. If there's a reasonable MCU upgrade path that would potentially include LTE and a faster processor as well, I might just bite the bullet at that point and have them do it.

The downside is that I'd probably have rooted at the same time... and if I don't have an excuse to tear the dash apart I might not bother (at least for a while)….

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Taking bets on when we wil ACTUALLY see it in our cars.....2 months....3months....6 months definitely. The list of “Musk tweeted this will be in our cars.”...is growing by an order of magnitude. Most of us still on 2018.50 and form another post here over 10 Musk TweetPromises from 2 months ago forward still conveniently missing.... #AnotherElonLetDown

The browser is already fixed and working great on 2019.5.15 for me.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I was not aware of the sketch pad "hack", so I just went a head and tried it, and it makes the browser "usable" again... The difference in speed and load time between having the sketch pad in the background compared to the NAV is HUGE!
However, in my trials I was messing around with the NAV settings, I usually drive with the NAV showing the map, and not the earth/real view... and I was browsing with the NAV open and using the browser with the earth/real view the browser in my car works just as fast as when with the sketch pad in the background... swapping back to the map view in NAV the browser is slow and useless again... WTF?!?!
Anyone else tried this? Turning on and off the traffic function made no difference, but toggling between maps and earth view, HUGE difference!

Also running the car with the MARS view has the same effect as the sketch pad. Speeds up the browser/load time.

I was not aware of the sketch pad "hack", so I just went a head and tried it, and it makes the browser "usable" again... The difference in speed and load time between having the sketch pad in the background compared to the NAV is HUGE!
However, in my trials I was messing around with the NAV settings, I usually drive with the NAV showing the map, and not the earth/real view... and I was browsing with the NAV open and using the browser with the earth/real view the browser in my car works just as fast as when with the sketch pad in the background... swapping back to the map view in NAV the browser is slow and useless again... WTF?!?!
Anyone else tried this? Turning on and off the traffic function made no difference, but toggling between maps and earth view, HUGE difference!

Also running the car with the MARS view has the same effect as the sketch pad. Speeds up the browser/load time.
Very interesting, so you are saying that the satellite view allows browser op but not street view. I wonder if the switch to vector rendering is the issue.

I can’t try that now as my browser is totally not working now until I reboot. 2019.4 MCU1

Yes, at least for my car, putting the NAV in satellite view does the same for the browser speed as putting on the sketch pad or mars view.
Really strange! Putting the NAV in “map view” the browser becomes useless so to speak... the funny part is that if the NAV is in “map view” and I try to load a site, nothing really happens, but the minute I change to satellite view during the load period the browser just accelerates and finished to load the site!

Also in my testing, if you try to load a site and it is really slow (for example because of map view) pressing the T on the top of the screen so the Easter egg menu appears makes the browser speed up the same way as if your switched from map view to satellite view...

So short story long, for me, if I wanna use the browser set NAV to satellite view and the browser is “usable”, still slow but, a lot better.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I am on 2019.4.3, MCU1

I just tried it. MCU1 AP2.0.
Map view, nothing works. Tesla winds never updates.
Sat view. Kinda works a little. Tesla winds update once every 3-10 seconds sporadicly
Sketch pad. Works more or less (still slow) Tesla winds update every 1s as it should.

I am guessing vector map in maps mode is more CPU intensive than raster satellite maps. But less data intensive on the LTE

When I did this I was on WiFi, I tested this when on LTE and I then see a decrease in speed on satellite view.

Map view
WiFi and LTE = browser is useless (not really working)

Satellite view
LTE = Really slow, but at least loading
WiFi = OK, same as with sketch pad

Sketch Pad
LTE = OK, well sort of
WiFi = OK, well sort of

Strange!