Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Car Sentry viewer/Early access/Coming next update (pic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the early access program was dead. .

That has never been true. (nor would it make any sense, it'd be a massive waste of $ and resources for Tesla to in-house testing on that sort of scale when owners are happy to do it for free)

One dude on here claimed he "was told that by tesla" which as we all know means literally nothing.

This link shows nothing and actually says how to view footage not from the car. This link is "lame sauce"

Im just saying posting a picture with nothing else besides the picture just causes a ton of “where’d you find this”. Just as easily as you copied/pasted the picture you could’ve done the same for where you found it.

Just saying, give credit where credit is due.

All Tesla news is circular; usually the first source is a tweet, which either gets posted here or Reddit, which then gets picked up by the Tesla-specific news sites, and then if it's of general interest gets picked up by the mainstream media.

Copying and pasting the picture here could’ve been done with the link to where he found it is all I’m saying. Showing credit to the source is always a good idea

Reactions: willow_hiller
I see both the in car / tesla provided viewing system (whatever it ends up being, which I am betting is fairly rudimentary) coexisting quite nicely with the third party viewing apps.

Many times, I see an alert on my screen of a sentry issue and just want to take a quick look at it before I even drive off, to see if I should be concerned about it or not. I did not go through the effort of using a raspberry pi zero or anything because I felt that, "eventually" tesla would get around to patching SOMETHING in.

If I found something, then I could either address there if appropriate, or go home, and stitch together etc the video using the third party apps. I could even see a situation where, in an accident that involved a tesla where police are called to the scene to make a report, having an easily viewable "this is what my car saw" thing would go a long way into helping get around conflicting stories... although that does not necessarily mean it would be beneficial to the person driving the tesla lol.

@MP3Mike @Knightshade

I like most of the posts you guys make, you both contribute a lot to the community here. With that being said, in THIS specific thread, you guys are having a debate about FSD, while the thread is largely about the possible upcoming ability to watch dashcam videos in the car on the touchscreen.

May I respectfully ask that the FSD debate on promised release dates happen elsewhere / in another thread?
They have nothing better to do anyways so I say let them fight.

Wonder how this’ll work with the Raspberrypi zero w set up to save dashcam/sentry files? Will the files on the SD card in the Raspberrypi be readable/viewable? I’d like to continue using my Pi and hope it’ll work with the new in car viewer.

Wonder how this’ll work with the Raspberrypi zero w set up to save dashcam/sentry files? Will the files on the SD card in the Raspberrypi be readable/viewable? I’d like to continue using my Pi and hope it’ll work with the new in car viewer.

Why wouldn't it? It just presents itself as a USB drive to the Tesla...nothing changes there.

(I have same setup, but with Pi 4)

Reactions: Tz00
This is awesome to see this coming. Hopefully soon.

Not a fan of Greentheonly though for his leaks.

Not sure any of you business owners out there would appreciate someone hacking and leaking announcements you didn’t want announced yet..
Really, it’s also similar to hacking and releasing your personal information.
Just my opinion.

Agreed. But for the most part, Tesla has wised up to his methods. They used to add a lot more development code to their builds as they were working on it, and now they tend to back port finished features onto older production branches to avoid revealing anything they don't want to reveal.

This case is slightly different because these features are actually present in the latest firmwares and meant to be enabled for Early Access only.

Hopefully they add a few options to the sentry mode itself.

This system might be cool in a country full of mostly law abiding citizens, like the US and California seem to be for us europeans :), but over here, people already hate you because you've got an expensive car, they hate you even more because you chose to be different with an all electric, and if you are crazy enough to park your car in a public place, I strongly suggest you turn off sentry if you don't want to get even more attention than what you already get.

In the country I live, sorry to be blunt but Sentry Mode is just pedantic and provocative, nobody likes to be filmed, especially not with a "you're filmed" message, and the bad guys will simply come straight to your car if it starts blinking like crazy when they pass by.

Maybe I have a wrong vision about how things are in the US but I envy you if this system doesn't drive attention to your car. For me, it makes it even more a target than what it already is.

Sentry is shut down on my tesla because I was fed up to get 20+ videos for less than an hour, which are mostly useless, and after I've reviewed the kind of reaction this system gets... I will get in trouble BECAUSE of sentry, whereas it's supposed to add protection...

I wish it would simply STAY QUIET, film the surrounding, stop blinking like crazy and STOP PROVOKING people by saying they were filmed.

My 2 cents

Hopefully they add a few options to the sentry mode itself.

This system might be cool in a country full of mostly law abiding citizens, like the US and California seem to be for us europeans :), but over here, people already hate you because you've got an expensive car, they hate you even more because you chose to be different with an all electric, and if you are crazy enough to park your car in a public place, I strongly suggest you turn off sentry if you don't want to get even more attention than what you already get.

In the country I live, sorry to be blunt but Sentry Mode is just provocative, nobody likes to be filmed, especially not with a "you're filmed" message, and the bad guys will simply come straight to your car if it starts blinking like crazy when they pass by. Let's even talk about the message on the screen.

Maybe I have a wrong vision about how things are in the US but I envy you if this system doesn't drive attention to your car and makes it even more a target than what it already is.

Sentry is shut down on my tesla because I was fed up to get 20+ videos for less than an hour, which are mostly useless, and after I've reviewed the kind of reaction this system gets... I will get in trouble BECAUSE of sentry, whereas it's supposed to add protection...

I wish it would simply STAY QUIET, film the surrounding, stop blinking like crazy and STOP PROVOKING people by saying they were filmed.

My 2 cents

Interesting perspective.
It’s a good deterrent here in Canada.
I could see where this would be a problem in the environment you’ve described though.

Hopefully this changes, once cars like this become more mainstream over there.

This is awesome to see this coming. Hopefully soon.

Not a fan of Greentheonly though for his leaks.

Not sure any of you business owners out there would appreciate someone hacking and leaking announcements you didn’t want announced yet..
Really, it’s also similar to hacking and releasing your personal information.
Just my opinion.

I normally agree with this viewpoint, but Tesla is a technology company, and is now certainly aware of people like him. In fact, I would imagine that they KNOW these things are going to leaked now, and plan for it. Its not bad advertising, really (since they dont pay for advertising).

Its my opinion that a disparate amount of people interested in tesla cars are also interested in "tech" so this works as gorilla marketing for them. Since its going to be published anyway... and gets (or keeps) people talking about the brand, both on places like this and in EV sites, which in turn are sometimes picked up by major publications / news.

I normally agree with this viewpoint, but Tesla is a technology company, and is now certainly aware of people like him. In fact, I would imagine that they KNOW these things are going to leaked now, and plan for it. Its not bad advertising, really (since they dont pay for advertising).

Its my opinion that a disparate amount of people interested in tesla cars are also interested in "tech" so this works as gorilla marketing for them. Since its going to be published anyway... and gets (or keeps) people talking about the brand, both on places like this and in EV sites, which in turn are sometimes picked up by major publications / news.

I’m not sure Tesla wants this, but interesting point.
Fair enough.