Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Car Sentry viewer/Early access/Coming next update (pic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Green on twitter, this update also changes the sentry icon from HAL9000 (from 2001 film) to a turret-like eye from Portal likely resulting from a copyright claim by MGM. Green found the new sentry eye in the system files and the new status indicator can be seen on the top bar of the photo from the start of this thread:
Sentry.JPG

From Green (found in car system files):

EUvIWn-U0AMMaH-.jpg

Portal Turret:

EUvIYeFU0AEWB5y.jpg

I'll be more thankful and impressed if Tesla somehow gives us up to the minute information on out of order Superchargers than I am with the camera stuff. We all knew the latter was eventually coming, but I haven't had much faith in finding out what superchargers aren't working.
There's a new one by my house with 8 stalls. Regardless of how many cars are there, it always shows 4/8 available. When I go on it that number reduces to 3. None of them are marked out of order. I don't know if the issue is a capacity problem or if some of them don't work. I have no idea why they show up as occupied.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'll be more thankful and impressed if Tesla somehow gives us up to the minute information on out of order Superchargers than I am with the camera stuff. We all knew the latter was eventually coming, but I haven't had much faith in finding out what superchargers aren't working.
There's a new one by my house with 8 stalls. Regardless of how many cars are there, it always shows 4/8 available. When I go on it that number reduces to 3. None of them are marked out of order. I don't know if the issue is a capacity problem or if some of them don't work. I have no idea why they show up as occupied.

As long as I have a spot at superchargers....I'm not concerned that the number of slots are projected incorrectly.

Back to the topic at hand.....

What actually limits the dashcam to only saving one minute at a time? Is there some actual technical limitation? Why not save a continuous 5 minute clip at a time?

Presumably the size of the local (built into car) storage it's caching to before writing out to the USB stick

AFAIK local storage is quite limited (also why you only get one level of cuphead instead of the whole game- and why it's been mentioned future games may require deleting existing ones)

FWIW 5 minute clips would be worse for the "finding what triggered it" issue.

Today with 10 1-minute clips you can almost always ignore the first 8 minutes entirely, with the triggering incident being in the last 1 or 2 minutes of clips

I thought EAP was dead also. I was removed from it.

When were you ever in it? Last I saw you'd emailed asking to be in it and that's when some clueless rep told you it was shut down?

In the country I live, sorry to be blunt but Sentry Mode is just pedantic and provocative, nobody likes to be filmed, especially not with a "you're filmed" message, and the bad guys will simply come straight to your car if it starts blinking like crazy when they pass by.

Maybe I have a wrong vision about how things are in the US but I envy you if this system doesn't drive attention to your car. For me, it makes it even more a target than what it already is.

In the US maybe 10-15 years ago, the reaction probably would have been similar. But there are now so many cameras and surveillance systems in place, and they're everywhere: parking lots, grocery store, nearly every building and business, many residences, police body cams, independent news producers and bloggers, individual cell phones, etc. People have now resigned themselves to the fact that there is absolutely no way you can walk around in public without being filmed on someone's camera. Thus, the fact that something is filming you all the time now is just a fact of life, so people generally accept it.

What actually limits the dashcam to only saving one minute at a time? Is there some actual technical limitation? Why not save a continuous 5 minute clip at a time?

No real technical limitation, but dealing with smaller files can make things easier for the user.
  • Some computer or phone USB interfaces are slow, and copying a smaller file will be faster if that's the only footage you need.
  • Many people want to assemble together a relevant clip but don't have editing software, having the files in 1-minute clips makes it easier to assemble only the segment you want.
  • For the system to manage the space, older files have to be deleted, and deleting them in small chunks maximizes how much footage you can hold on a small drive.
  • In a rare case, the file might need to be copied to a device where the file system does not support large files, but can handle multiple small files.
Most 3rd-party dashcams and security DVRs store their files the same way.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Presumably the size of the local (built into car) storage it's caching to before writing out to the USB stick

AFAIK local storage is quite limited (also why you only get one level of cuphead instead of the whole game- and why it's been mentioned future games may require deleting existing ones)

FWIW 5 minute clips would be worse for the "finding what triggered it" issue.

Today with 10 1-minute clips you can almost always ignore the first 8 minutes entirely, with the triggering incident being in the last 1 or 2 minutes of clips

When were you ever in it? Last I saw you'd emailed asking to be in it and that's when some clueless rep told you it was shut down?

No real technical limitation, but dealing with smaller files can make things easier for the user.
  • Some computer or phone USB interfaces are slow, and copying a smaller file will be faster if that's the only footage you need.
  • Many people want to assemble together a relevant clip but don't have editing software, having the files in 1-minute clips makes it easier to assemble only the segment you want.
  • For the system to manage the space, older files have to be deleted, and deleting them in small chunks maximizes how much footage you can hold on a small drive.
  • In a rare case, the file might need to be copied to a device where the file system does not support large files, but can handle multiple small files.
Most 3rd-party dashcams and security DVRs store their files the same way.

my issue with it is that the files often have 1-4 second gaps between them, which can often miss crucial moments of what you are trying to record.

Reactions: PNWLeccy