Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent control of sunroof and AC through the App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
My car is parked in the sun in my parking lot and it is a warm day. I decided to check if my cabin overheat protection was working (I know it is set to 'on' in the car) so I opened the app. The app reported an interior temp of 117F, which concerned me because the COP is supposed to keep the temp at 105 or less.

My first thought was to vent the sunroof, so I clicked on "Controls" and tried to vent it. But it reported that it failed to open.
I tried starting the climate control, and the phone said it came on. The indicated temperature started to drop. Soon it was down in the 70s. I did not really want to run the AC for long, so I tried to shut it off. But it would not shut off. I could adjust the setpoint temperature up or down, but could not turn it off. I tried several times over a few minutes.

My car is having problems that indicate a likely eMMC failure, and I have an appointment to have the MCU evaluated and possibly replaced next week, so that is likely a factor here. But it seems odd that I could turn on the AC and adjust the temp, but could not turn it off. I guess I will need to walk out to the parking lot and turn it off manually.

My COP used to be quite reliable, but lately it has often failed to keep the car at less than 105. I have checked that it is set correctly. I suppose it could be adversely affected by the MCU issue, but it seems odd that I can run the AC but apparenlty not COP....

My car is parked in the sun in my parking lot and it is a warm day. I decided to check if my cabin overheat protection was working (I know it is set to 'on' in the car) so I opened the app. The app reported an interior temp of 117F, which concerned me because the COP is supposed to keep the temp at 105 or less.

My first thought was to vent the sunroof, so I clicked on "Controls" and tried to vent it. But it reported that it failed to open.
I tried starting the climate control, and the phone said it came on. The indicated temperature started to drop. Soon it was down in the 70s. I did not really want to run the AC for long, so I tried to shut it off. But it would not shut off. I could adjust the setpoint temperature up or down, but could not turn it off. I tried several times over a few minutes.

My car is having problems that indicate a likely eMMC failure, and I have an appointment to have the MCU evaluated and possibly replaced next week, so that is likely a factor here. But it seems odd that I could turn on the AC and adjust the temp, but could not turn it off. I guess I will need to walk out to the parking lot and turn it off manually.

My COP used to be quite reliable, but lately it has often failed to keep the car at less than 105. I have checked that it is set correctly. I suppose it could be adversely affected by the MCU issue, but it seems odd that I can run the AC but apparenlty not COP....

Uh oh. I went to the car, and found it nice and cool, but the center screen was dark. I tried forcing a reboot a couple of times, to no avail. I could still access the car through the app, and could adjust the temperature setting, but could not shut off the AC. And without the center screen, there was no other way to get at the HVAC controls.

Interesting that the app could turn AC on but not off when the car is in this state.

The car is plugged in and drawing current, so running the AC won't run down the battery, but I hate to leave the thing running until Thursday when my car is scheduled for service. I suppose I will need to learn where the fuses are, and pull one for the AC....

Uh oh. I went to the car, and found it nice and cool, but the center screen was dark. I tried forcing a reboot a couple of times, to no avail. I could still access the car through the app, and could adjust the temperature setting, but could not shut off the AC. And without the center screen, there was no other way to get at the HVAC controls.

Interesting that the app could turn AC on but not off when the car is in this state.

The car is plugged in and drawing current, so running the AC won't run down the battery, but I hate to leave the thing running until Thursday when my car is scheduled for service. I suppose I will need to learn where the fuses are, and pull one for the AC....

Hmmm. The word "fuse" does not even appear in the owner's manual! Never had a car before whose manual did not recognize the possibility that you might need to check or replace a fuse!

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago in my 2015 MS. Dead MCU and A/C ran for a solid 24 hours before it magically shut off.

Mobile service said it was a software bug and had filled the memory. As a result of the memory being full, the MCU wouldn’t boot. They flushed the memory, upgraded to a newer software release and I’ve been OK since.

What was the verdict from your service @David29 ?

My MCU was replaced this past week by my local Tesla service center. The HVAC was still running when I brought the car in. The weather was hot, so the car was using ~20-25 kWh/day keeping cool. If I had not been plugged in, the battery would have run down, so I was lucky in that respect.

Reactions: bpjones